According to rumours, Sony removed the PS Eye from inclusion with the PS4 to gain the price advantage over Microsoft:
Originally the PS4 was to be the same price as the Xbone. So how does the Eye compare to Kinect? Are their specs on them both, will the eye include the same microphone arrays and hi-def camera etc...?
Just wondering as this kinda makes the prices of the two devices appear similar!
"Microsoft has revealed the next-generation Kinect sensor for its newly announced Xbox One. The new Kinect can activate the Xbox One console by voice. It will have a 1080p camera compared to the VGA sensor on the original Kinect. The new motion controller would process 2 gigabits of data per second to accurately read its environment. The Xbox One Kinect is designed to accomodate smaller environments than the Xbox 360 Kinect.. The Xbox One Kinect is not going to be required for all games, just the ones that the developers want to use the hardware for. The Xbox One Kinect will also feature 1:1 movement ratio with little to no lag"
- External Dimension: Approx. 186mm x 27mm x 27mm (width x height x depth) (tentative)
- Weight: Approx. 183g (tentative)
- Video Pixel: (Maximum) 1280 x 800 pixel x 2
- Video Frame Rate: 1280x800 pixel @ 60fps, 640x400 pixel @ 120fps, 320x192 pixel @ 240fps
- Video Format: RAW, YUV (uncompressed)
- Lens: Dual Lenses, F value/F2.0 fixed focus
- Capture Range: 30cm～∞
- Field-of-View: 85°
- Microphone: 4 Channel Microphone Array
- Connection Type: PS4 dedicated connector (AUX connector)
- Cable Length: Approx. 2m (tentative)
I must say it is pretty hard to find any confirmed Kinect 2 specs other than rumoured leak ones before the reveal, sure they must be out there somewhere though.
PS Camera in action:
Kinect 2 in action:
That PSEye looks superb this time round.
Were those two chaps sitting on the sofa communicating telepathically though, as I could only hear one of 'em ?