27 Jun 2013
Playstation Staff

New PS Eye vs Kinect

4 Replies 2,759 Views Created 27-06-2013

According to rumours, Sony removed the PS Eye from inclusion with the PS4 to gain the price advantage over Microsoft:

(http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/06/26/sony-sacrificed-the-playstation-4-camera-to-beat-microsoft-on-...). 

Originally the PS4 was to be the same price as the Xbone. So how does the Eye compare to Kinect? Are their specs on them both, will the eye include the same microphone arrays and hi-def camera etc...? 

Just wondering as this kinda makes the prices of the two devices appear similar!

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5 (2,759 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 2

Playstation Staff

Re: New PS Eye vs Kinect

I pray the move 2.0 is as good as kinect 2.0. I attended the launch party for both here in Australia... The original move to me just simply could barely compete.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5 (2,753 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 10

Playstation Staff

Kinect 2

"Microsoft has revealed the next-generation Kinect sensor for its newly announced Xbox One. The new Kinect can activate the Xbox One console by voice. It will have a 1080p camera compared to the VGA sensor on the original Kinect. The new motion controller would process 2 gigabits of data per second to accurately read its environment. The Xbox One Kinect is designed to accomodate smaller environments than the Xbox 360 Kinect.[1]. The Xbox One Kinect is not going to be required for all games, just the ones that the developers want to use the hardware for. The Xbox One Kinect will also feature 1:1 movement ratio with little to no lag"

Playstation Camera

• External Dimension: Approx. 186mm x 27mm x 27mm (width x height x depth) (tentative)
  • Weight: Approx. 183g (tentative)
  • Video Pixel: (Maximum) 1280 x 800 pixel x 2
  • Video Frame Rate: 1280x800 pixel @ 60fps, 640x400 pixel @ 120fps, 320x192 pixel @ 240fps
  • Video Format: RAW, YUV (uncompressed)
  • Lens: Dual Lenses, F value/F2.0 fixed focus
  • Capture Range: 30cm~∞
  • Field-of-View: 85°
  • Microphone: 4 Channel Microphone Array
  • Connection Type: PS4 dedicated connector (AUX connector)
  • Cable Length: Approx. 2m (tentative)

I must say it is pretty hard to find any confirmed Kinect 2 specs other than rumoured leak ones before the reveal, sure they must be out there somewhere though.

PS Camera in action:

Kinect 2 in action:

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 5 (2,748 Views)
Level 7

Playstation Staff

That PSEye looks superb this time round.

Were those two chaps sitting on the sofa communicating telepathically though, as I could only hear one of 'em ?  

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5 (2,734 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Im glad Sony took the PS Eye out of the package, it gives the gamers the option of having it or not. Neither Kinect or PS eye should be forced on us IMO.

I would much rather pay less money and not have Kinect or the PS Eye if im honest.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5 (2,698 Views)
0 Kudos