11 Mar 2013
By: vampyresbyte

1 Posts

No Wipeout for PS4! Don't think i'll be buying one then!!

66 Replies 2,965 Views Created 11-03-2013

OK folks, here is my opinion - for what it's worth! (Very little i suspect!)

I have always owned a Playstation - right from the first one! I can remember being amazed by the first Ridge Racer. It was stunning for it's time. But nohing prepared me for the joy of playing Wipeout!

The graphics, the music, the motion, but most of all ... the amazing concepts and gameplay.

I am not a big gamer to be honest, so i don't tend to own many titles. But i do own all of the Wipeout games, and i still play them all!

I still love 'Terramax, Koroderra and Sliverstream' on the 1st incarnation. I Love flying Qirex on 2097! - Even though i have played these games for many years i still never tire of them. And as for Fury/HD it is just stunning. I love everything about  this incarnation of the game.

Surely this is a sign of a great game? Something that has a very prolonged shelf life? A concenpt which still inspires gamers young or old?

In short, Wipeout has been as big a part of the Playstation concept as the consoles themselves. I think it is fair to state that Wipeout is probably the most successful, unique and playable game/concept for the  Playstation. It is more than just a game. It is ubiqutous with Playattion.

To not make any more seems ludicrous, given the success of the concept and games, and given the very extensive global fanbase.

So come on Sony! Get a team together - or the old team back together.... and create the next stunning incarnation of the series.

This may sound extreme, but i for one won't buy a PS4 unless a new Wipeout is released.

I only really own Playstations, PSP/VITA for Wipeout. All other games are just a bonus!

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 67 (2,965 Views)
Level 3

Re: No Wipeout for PS4! Don't think i'll be buying one then!!

I'll still buy a PS4 eventually, but I pretty much agree with everything you said. Wipeout is an iconic series, and the visuals it would be capable of in silky smooth 60fps on the PS4... sigh.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 67 (2,956 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

I'd love a ps4 wipeout too, but I'm still buying a ps4 even if it doesn't have one.
Hopefully it'll happen at some point.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 67 (2,954 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 13

Has anyone said there won't be one? Sony still own the brand and trademark. The studio closed, but that doesn't mean there can't ever be another one.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 67 (2,920 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

This makes me very sad. I love wipeout with a passion but to not buy a ps4 because of no wipeout? The only one who will be at a loss is you.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 67 (2,907 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

I'm a big Wipeout fan too, loved it since the PS1. Gotta admit though, it spurred me on to try other racers similar to it as well. While things like Xtreme G were great attempts, they never had the classy sheen and art style of Wipeout, although, the sheer speed of F-Zero on the N64 made me think it had a serious contender for a bit - then Wipeout 64 came along and changed my mind again lol.

Anyways, to not buy a PS4 because you heard (where from BTW?) there'd be no more Wipeouts is a bit much, but then, since that's all you mostly play, I'd say fair-play to ya mate! You do what you gotta do! ; )
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 67 (2,896 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 2

instead of wipeout just buy driveclub lol

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 67 (2,849 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

@Paul__3891, don't know if you're trying to be funny, but WipEout (as it should be written!!!) couldn't be a more different experience to what Drive Club is shooting for if it tried.

I too have fond memories of the franchise. On day 1 for my Playstation I brought Ridge Racer, Toshinden and WipEout. Don't get me wrong I really enjoyed Ridge Racer, and despite some irritating foibles I think the Beat 'em Up  genre really owes a huge debt to the Toshinden series, which was the first true 3D fighter (side steps and everything)... but I found myself continually playing WipEout more and more. Shaving tenths of a second off of my times if I could. For me though in terms of playability and enjoyment I think the series peaked at 2097 and hasn't really offered anything more apart from flashier graphics. WipEout 3 was an insipid game in comparison to the original two on the Playstation, and WipEout 64 on the N64, which was also awesome. I also happen to think Wipeout Fusion on the PS2 was weak as well. Adding, big open sections to the track was confusing didn't fit or flow with the formula and showed that quite frankly if that's the only new stuff that could be brought to the series then it was in trouble. I really do think Fusion did some big damage to the franchise.

I did really enjoy WipEout Pure and Pulse on the PSP and I'd hoped that they would lead to a resurgeance in the fortunes of the series, but sadly I think the fact that they were on the PSP didn't really help the series at all. I know they eventually ported Pulse to the PS2, but I think that was too little too late really, as by then people were looking at the PS3. Then we got WipEout HD, which while great was just a souped up version of the PSP games, with tracks and modes copied over. The Fury expansion was great, but the game in effect was narrowing more and more on a small core diehard demographic that was shrinking. To be honest the last true, full on home version of WipEout handled as a full release, and designed to be a home console game from the ground up was WipEout Fusion on the PS2. The series hasn't been given any real love for quite some time. Whether that's indicative of the franchises dwindling popularity, or indeed as a consequence of Sony Liverpool and Sony themsleves mishandling the franchise is a moot point right now. WipEout is no longer the unit shifter it once was.

Would I love to see somebody come in and take another full proper stab at releasing a WipEout game on the PS4? Yes, but just don't aim it solely at us diehard WipEout fans, because quite frankly we're not t he people you need to convince.

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 67 (2,809 Views)
Level 2

I feel your pain as I would love to get in the seat of a new AGSYSTEMS craft ... I miss you studio liverpool!. That being said I still want a ps4 XD
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 67 (2,729 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

dafuq did I just read?

TheDudeAhmed
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 67 (2,716 Views)
0 Kudos