PlayStation®4

PS4 General

PS4 General

23 Aug 2013
By: The_KELRaTH Member 888 Posts
Level 3

PS4 Dedicated Servers

33 Replies 3052 Views Created 23-08-2013

Today I read an article that referred to various games including CoD on X1 having dedicated servers, (as on 360), but the PS4 will not.

Personally I find the lack of decicated servers on PS3 very frustrating and would be surprised if this were to continue onto the PS4.

I had thought that the point of paying for a PS4 online subscription!

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 34 (3,052 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Re: PS4 Dedicated Servers

You pay the subscription for PS+ on the PS4 to play online, you're not paying for dedicated game servers. Basically you're paying Sony for the priveledge. Just like XBox Gold.

The servers that there are are paid for by buying the games.

CoD doesn't need dedicated servers P2P is fine (most of the time), however they would be a nice feature.

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 34 (3,028 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

dazbobaby wrote:

You pay the subscription for PS+ on the PS4 to play online, you're not paying for dedicated game servers. Basically you're paying Sony for the priveledge. Just like XBox Gold.

CoD doesn't need dedicated servers P2P is fine (most of the time), however they would be a nice feature.

While I agree that you're paying Sony for nothing other than the priveledge, I still think they should look into dedicated server support. MS are actually hosting dedicated servers for ALL multiplayer games.

Multiplatform games are going to be so close visuals wise (extra power or not, devs are lazy). It's really looking like Xbox One will be the place to play third party titles.

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 34 (3,013 Views)
Level 6

In fairness the amount of money Activision make off COD they should've had dedicated servers a long time ago.

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 34 (2,996 Views)
Level 3

i do feel im gonna be ripped off a bit huge games like CoD really should have dedicated servers as it is in a lot of case the most played game for many playstation owners

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 34 (2,992 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Agreed with JynXten. The PC version of MW actually had dedicated servers, but they removed it for MW2... Good job they were modded back in lol.

Jeves, true enough.
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 34 (2,977 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Semaphia wrote:

dazbobaby wrote:

While I agree that you're paying Sony for nothing other than the priveledge, I still think they should look into dedicated server support. MS are actually hosting dedicated servers for ALL multiplayer games.

Multiplatform games are going to be so close visuals wise (extra power or not, devs are lazy). It's really looking like Xbox One will be the place to play third party titles.

But it's not Sony's job to provide servers for every game, it's the game developers/publishers who should prive the service.

I won't argue that games like CoD should have them, almost all other games do have them.

I just don't think Sony should have to provide dedicated servers.

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 34 (2,942 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Well, if they're competing for our money, they should at least try and rival what the other big company is doing for our £40 a year.
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 34 (2,938 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

I haven't seen any information saying that Microsoft will host dedicated game servers, but imagine 2 years down the line when there's 200+ games out in circulation, that would be tens of thousands of different servers for different games.

The cost would be astronomical, and the more players per single server the more it costs.

bf3 server.PNG

Battlefield 4 for the PS4 will support 64 players, so £45 per month for hundreds of servers for this one game.

£45x100=£4500 for one hundred servers per month

£4500x5=£22,500 per month for 500 servers.

These would just about cover the EU

12 months of servers would be £270,000

£270,000 for EU servers just to play one game for 12 months.

I say let Microsoft host game servers, they'd be bled dry before the next console cycle is done.

I'm sure Microsoft won't be paying retail prices, but it's still a money pit when you add more and more games to the equation.

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 34 (2,928 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Not sure you know how much money Microsoft has.
Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 34 (2,922 Views)
0 Kudos