12 Mar 2013
Playstation Staff

Ps4 processor 1.84 TFLOPS = around 6GHZ?

8 Replies 19,751 Views Created 12-03-2013
Frequency Voltage Power Aggregate Bandwidth Performance
3.16 GHz0.95 V62W1.62 Terabits/s1.01 Teraflops
5.1 GHz1.2 V175W2.61 Terabits/s1.63 Teraflops
5.7 GHz1.35 V265W2.92 Terabits/s

1.81 Teraflops

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teraflops_Research_Chip

I think I got it right from reading this table I think 6GHZ is a quiet fast processor

here the info on the processor on the PS4 Specification sheet (http://uk.playstation.com/media/7ngkAGoJ/PlayStation4_Specification.pdf )

• Single-chip custom processor

• CPU: low power x86-64 AMD “Jaguar”, 8 cores

•GPU: 1.84 TFLOPS, AMD Radeon™Graphics Core Next engine

try my LBP2 BUZZ quiz level: http://lbp.me/v/wx-k51
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9 (19,751 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Re: Ps4 processor 1.84 TFLOPS = around 6GHZ?

Its not quite that simple.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9 (19,741 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Well at east he didn't decide 8 1.6Ghz cores makes a 12.8Ghz processor. I suppose if we want to be really silly we could add his GPU TFLOPS conversion, that'd give us 18.8Ghz. Wow, how can desktop PC's possibly compare against that :smileywink:
----
Blog: http://consolegamer.me
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9 (19,728 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

I think that chart is for a specific processor/chip so the short answer is no.
You can't save time only spend it.
Sneeze
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9 (19,687 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

None of the cores on the CPU will run that fast. It doesn't scale in that manner.

It will have 8 Cores and each of those core will still run at 1.6GHz and in terms of real world performance they will run through 1.1 instructions per clock (each Hz). It's just that tasks have to be divided up to each core to run efficiently.

Also, with 18 Compute Unites, 1,152 Graphics Cores & 1.84TFlops; the GPU which is on the same APU chip will almost certainly run at around 800MHz..

The GDDR5 RAM in the PS4 will run at 5.5GHz though! :smileyvery-happy:

P.s. Sony haven't released the spec for the cpu clock rate yet and there are rumours from reliable sources of it being a bit higher, so hopefully it may in fact be in the 1.8-2.1GHz area; take that with a pinch o' salt though.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9 (19,669 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

In this instance the difference between 1.6Ghz and 2.1Ghz is minimal at best. I doubt we are maxing out current gen CPU's, in fact I'm not convinced there's a major gap between the current Cell processor and the new AMD Jaguar. The key performance boost is in the GPU, that and the RAM is going to be a major leap forward.
----
Blog: http://consolegamer.me
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9 (19,657 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

tmcd35 wrote:
In this instance the difference between 1.6Ghz and 2.1Ghz is minimal at best. I doubt we are maxing out current gen CPU's, in fact I'm not convinced there's a major gap between the current Cell processor and the new AMD Jaguar. The key performance boost is in the GPU, that and the RAM is going to be a major leap forward.

depends on what you mean as max tbh. 

You can't save time only spend it.
Sneeze
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9 (19,637 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

I think a big advantage we're going to see is the HSA (heterogeneous systems architecture). 

There's rumoured to be modifications to the GPU that favour this approach, with many, many more queues/pipelines to the graphics cores; and according to Sony devs will be able to divide the GPU up between GPU (Render) tasks and GPGPU (Compute) tasks.

Ironically, when you look at the PS4 APU as a whole, the idea shares a lot in common with the concept of the CELL CPU in PS3.

Looking at the discrete versions of these components you would think it isn't exactly revolutionary; it's an 8x 1.6-2.1?GHz Tablet/Netbook CPU, an underclocked AMD 7850 with two extra compute units...

But stick them on an APU together, modify the 7850 for compute, increase the queues/pipelines from 2x2 to 8x8, allow control over the ratio of compute/render tasks on the GPU, allow access to a fast, unified RAM pool, provide dedicated hardware for most non-game tasks and put it in a fixed closed box system utilising HSA; and you've got an incredibly efficient dedicated gaming platform that will punch well above its weight.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9 (19,607 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Playstation Staff

TheMiitch wrote:

[---]

Ironically, when you look at the PS4 APU as a whole, the idea shares a lot in common with the concept of the CELL CPU in PS3.

Cell, with regards to SPE's LS, is NUMA and derives much of its performance from it. Perhaps I've simply missed it, but I haven't seen anything indicating this is the case with the APU in the PS4. In fact, didn't someone say the opposite was true of the APU?

The SPE's didn't bother with deep pipelineing and local caches giving it nice highly deterministic real-time properties. Won't the PS4 be deeply pipelined and heavily cached (as x86-type chips are nowadays)? (Or did they choose GDDR5 precisely because they wanted to limit caching and pipeline complexity?)

I know Cell very well, but have only read very little on the PS4 internals -- so I hope you'll pardon my ignorance.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9 (19,478 Views)
0 Kudos