27 Jun 2013
By lair360
Playstation Staff

What is lacking for Sony Ps4 console

[ Edited ]
26 Replies 636 Views edited 27-06-2013
After playing on PC (steam) and booting up my ps3 console from its cover for a spin (like starting a car), my head just realised something...

I had about 45GB - 80GB of digital PS3 game contents that I can't backup individualy like STEAM does. So, the fact is, how the HELL ON EARTH can someone let their console run days and night just to download everything again? That is suicidal for a console. Imagine racing for 100 laps, you will get beat to a pulp.

In future, I would suggest Sony implement individual game backup to external HDD like STEAM! It's insane to download everything again and wasting precious bandwidth / time!

Entire system backup is a lot more crazy! That is out of the question. Because, there will always be gamers who just wants to backup their digital games instead of the entire system. Why? It save time, electricity bills (running all day and night for a single 16GB file size) and easier to put back if the HDD went ca-hoots.
-------------------------------------------
Lair360 Product Reviews, Unboxing & Tutorials Click Here
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 27 (636 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Re: What is lacking for Sony Ps4 console

The PS4 will allow you to begin playing whilst the game is downloading, so that will be a help. Also, not everyone wants EVERY game on their system, just in case (some do I'm sure).

I, for one, have a much easier solution. I'm going to continue buying my games on old-fashioned discs.
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 27 (581 Views)
Level 6

Playstation Staff

Doesn't really help people with download limits though, does it? :smileysad:
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 27 (565 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 7

Playstation Staff

The PS4 is only going to stream content that is available for th PS3 when the Gaikai system is launched after the release of the PS4 as it will not have the infustructure to play PS3 content.

Those that don't have a large capaicty for downloads would be better off keeping their PS3s then. 

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 27 (558 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Firstly I can back-up my entire PS3 HDD content to an external HDD for restore settings. You have to have that function if you allow eople to change the HDD. So HDD back up isn't missing from the PS3. What is missing though is being able to launch digital games from external HDD... and... I sorta agree with you on that score. I'd like to be able to see external HDD's being usful as extra storage as well. I think th eXbox One was going to have that feature when it was always on, there is now a question as to whether that is still the case. We don't know, but one would have to assume for piracy concerns alone that feature might not come to either system. Frustrating, but there it is.

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 27 (546 Views)
Level 3

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]
First of all, all downloaded contents from PS store are locked to the owner's account. It a lot simpler to create an infrastructure when you plug in your external HDD and backup the game like Steam. Heck, if Sony is SO clever, why don't they implement something on the PS4 for gamers to reformat their external HDD, so it doesn't get use for other things and locks itself away from PC?

Sony should look at Steam backup structure for once and see what can be done! PC players can backup 4gb file - 20gb without re-downloading! That is a life saver!

Backing up the entire system, you got to be joking...

340gb contents? Get a cofe or energy drink... You will be waiting for your life. Even worse, some games doesn't work if you do a restore, which means.... Download... LOL

FAIL FAIL FAIL
-------------------------------------------
Lair360 Product Reviews, Unboxing & Tutorials Click Here
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 27 (534 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

lair360 wrote:
First of all, all downloaded contents from PS store are locked to the owner's account. It a lot simpler to create an infrastructure when you plug in your external HDD and backup the game like Steam. Heck, if Sony is SO clever, why don't they implement something on the PS4 for gamers to reformat their external HDD, so it doesn't get use for other things and locks itself away from PC?

Sony should look at Steam backup structure for once and see what can be done! PC players can backup 4gb file - 20gb without re-downloading! That is a life saver!

Backing up the entire system, you got to be joking...

340gb contents? Get a cofe or energy drink... You will be waiting for your life. Even worse, some games doesn't work if you do a restore, which means.... Download... LOL

FAIL FAIL FAIL

I'll go check when I'm back in front of my PS3, but I'm sure I have actually backed up digital downloads of single games in the past on PS3. Although that was prior to the other OS being removed. So maybe they took that feature away as well. I'll update when I get the chance to check it out. I do periodically though back up my PS3 while I'm out of the house and my PS3 would be idle. If they could have a feature whereby your PS4 periodically backed itself up to an external HDD though while it was switched off / in low energy mode, that'd be handy. THat's a feature on PC's and Mac's... so why not consoles?

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 27 (525 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

All I want is the ability to install and play games from external hdd.

I currently have 2 1tb drives and 1 500gb drive all USB 3.0 that I'd love to use for games on my ps3 but can't so would like this for ps4.

I guess i would have to use a ps4 specific format to use them this way so that a PC would not be ble to copy the files( i know people would find work arounds but we can't all lose features due to pirates).

Please make this an option as i see 1tb internal drives still filling up fast as plus on ps4 goes into full steam
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 27 (489 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

Playstation Staff

A 500gb HDD should be big enough for a good number of downloadable games etc however it would be a great feature to be able to back them up to an external HDD, it's something i have never really thought about. Currently on the PS3 i have a back up saved to an external HDD so i can restore all my files but updating that would take a few hours on its own
DeludedGaming the best gaming site around
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 27 (461 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

Playstation Staff

hayzink wrote:
All I want is the ability to install and play games from external hdd.

I currently have 2 1tb drives and 1 500gb drive all USB 3.0 that I'd love to use for games on my ps3 but can't so would like this for ps4.

I guess i would have to use a ps4 specific format to use them this way so that a PC would not be ble to copy the files( i know people would find work arounds but we can't all lose features due to pirates).

Please make this an option as i see 1tb internal drives still filling up fast as plus on ps4 goes into full steam

That's not possible due to piracy.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 27 (441 Views)
0 Kudos