Problem Solved

View Original Post
08 Aug 2014
By P4NCH0theD0G

P4NCH0theD0G

92%
02 Rank
Progress

Add your issues with REMOTE PLAY Control Layouts for PS4/PS Vita Remote Play - Sony, Help!

11 Replies 2,094 Views Created 08-08-2014
08 Aug 2014
By P4NCH0theD0G

Had a PS4 game that was simply frustrating to Remote Play on your Vita due to bad control layouts? Add your issues here and make Sony enforce a higher standard! (Please)

I love to use PS4 Remote Play with my Vita. Even if it's just for a bit of gaming in bed before I go to sleep. And let's face it, there aren't that many great native Vita games, so Remote-Playing PS4 games is a major feature for the Vita.

Sadly, while indeed every PS4 game can be Remote-Played, many games are hampered by the PS Vita Control Layouts - ranging from unfortunate to lazy/careless to non-functional.

Now, there are some great implementations of Remote Play Controls on the Vita, like Killzone - Shadowfall, Second Son or even the Destiny Beta (putting Sprint on D-Pad Down was inspired, almost like an L3 click-stick-button). Warframe started out bad, but now they made the whole Vita Controls customizable - every single option.

But there are also some very, very poor implementations, making the games very hard to enjoy on the Vita - indeed making them frustrating to play.

And I am wondering if Sony is aware (or cares) how these shine a very bad light on Remote Play on the Vita - because the only real complaints about Remote Play that I see are summed up as "It sucks because the controls are so bad!". It makes a great feature seem terrible. And of course, the developers rarely if ever react to such complaints by individuals - but if Sony themselves might force a higher standard on the PS4/PS Vita Remote Play Control Layouts, both Sony and the Customers would profit immensely.

A few examples:

TRIALS: FUSION

The most recent offender I have played is Trials: Fusion. Trials: Fusion offers an instant "Restart your Run" option, which on the DS4 is triggered by pressing the left side of the DS4 Touchpad. You need to press it until it clicks, something you will rarely do by accident.

On the Vita, however, the Touchpad is put on the COMPLETE Touchscreen - and you only need to touch in the slightest way for it to have an effect, namely restarting your run by complete accident. This even happens if you tilt the left analog stick to the right, towards the touchscreen and have either big thumbs or slip a little bit on the stick - and suddenly, in the middle of your epic run, you restart. It's extremely frustrating - and simply very poor design.Something that has been mentioned multiple times in reviews (Gamespot, for example) and on their own forums since the game's launch, but nobody seems to care.

As many other games have shown, you can change the size of the Touchscreen area that corresponds to the touchpad, can designate on-screen touch-buttons and more. There is simply no reason except lack of care to have something so frustrating in a game that is already so punishing.

STRIDER

Strider has a very similar issue, as the whole touchscreen - when touched anywhere at all - triggers your map. With the heated battles in that game and quick movement via the left stick, it's pretty much a given that you will slip and touch the screen. And your suddenly in the map.

Not a game-breaker, but definitely annoying.

SNIPER ELITE 3

The Touchscreen in SE3 is used for three different actions - depending on what you do in game - and it's just as confusing as it sounds. To add to that, zooming in and out is on D-Pad Up and Down, and especially D-Pad Up is very hard to reach while simultaneously holding down the L button to aim/scope.

It makes playing missions where quick zoom changes are required very frustrating - and finger-cramp inducing - to play. And I don't have small hands, but to get to the D-Pad Up I have to shift my left hand on the Vita - which also means, I have to shift it back down when I want to use the left stick comfortably.

THIEF

Thief is a bit of an odd-case, because there the issue are not the well-implemented Remote Play controls, but the fact that in specific situations, the game becomes pretty much unplayable on the Vita.

Thief relies (on the PS4 with the DS4) heavily on vibration of the controller to indicate certain things (hidden switches in frames or book-cases, the right position while picking locks). Of course, the Vita has no vibration, and apparently the Devs forgot all about that.

Now, the lockpicking has a visual indication when you're in the right spot (hands begin to wiggle), but when it comes to hidden switches on the frames of pictures or in bookcases, there is no visual indicator. And with no vibration, the only way to "find" these switches is by moving your hand along the whole thing and press the action button every third inch or so.

There are situations in the game, where quickly finding these switches is essential - but alas impossible, because of the bad design for PS Vita.

Those are just a few games that come to mind, and I am sure there are more, so add your issues, and hopefully Sony will "ask nicely" that developers not only enable Remote Play, but actively make it enjoyable and functional.

LABELS: remote play
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

P4NCH0theD0G

92%
02 Rank
Progress
P4NCH0theD0G
Accepted Solution

Really? Nobody here has anything to add?...

Hm. Maybe I will post this again in the General Section...

0 Kudos

Re: Add your issues with REMOTE PLAY Control Layouts for PS4/PS Vita Remote Play - Sony, Help!

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

P4NCH0theD0G

92%
02 Rank
Progress
P4NCH0theD0G
Accepted Solution

Next Example - and I will keep both threads updated with this:

Diablo III

1. No Front Touchscreen Buttons:

The Back Touchpad is pretty iffy when it comes to using it quickly, so I was very disappointed that the R2 skill still resided there. As many games have shown, like Killzone: Shadowfall or the Destiny Beta, you can easily map "buttons" to the front screen bottom corners; or even create touch-buttons (although that might be for Vita games only, like Uncharted - Golden Abyss).

I know that this means you'd have to take one thumb off one stick for a second, but I would prefer that to touching the back touchpad and not hitting it right - so at least the option should be there.

2. The whole front touchscreen is mapped to the left Touchpad of the DS4

The first issue here is that it's terribly easy to touch the front touchscreen by mistake. You don't even have to slip, for me it's enough to move the stick all the way towards the screen (right for left stick, left for right stick), and if my thumb just whispers a touch on the screen I'm in my inventory.

And that definitely can kill you in a Co-Op game.
In the games that feature touch buttons in the corners of the front screen for remote play, the touchpad is a distinct rectangle positioned in the center of the touchscreen, making it impossible to touch it by mistake.

The second issue is that there`s no reason why the Vita version of the touchpad only covers the left side (inventory). You could easily map it to incorporate the right side, too. It's a minor issue, but why not make it right if you can?

0 Kudos

Re: Add your issues with REMOTE PLAY Control Layouts for PS4/PS Vita Remote Play - Sony, Help!

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

P4NCH0theD0G

92%
02 Rank
Progress
P4NCH0theD0G
Accepted Solution

To add to Diablo 3:

The Lock-On Button has no toggle option, and thus has to be "held down". Which is okay-ish on the PS4 with the DS4, but is just a pain on the Vita, since the L2 button is mapped to the back touchpad, and holding your finger pressed on that is horrible even for just a short time.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

P4NCH0theD0G

92%
02 Rank
Progress
P4NCH0theD0G
Accepted Solution

Shadow of Mordor

The game, as fun as it can be, is not really playable via Remote Play at all.

The game uses the default mapping, which maps L2 and R2 on the back touchpad. Try aiming your bow with the touchpad, or sneaking for a longer time while holding one finger pressed against the back of the Vita. It's horrible. Absolutely no effort has gone into making a working Vita Remote Play Control Scheme, not even the minimum of mapping the triggers of the DS4 onto the shoulder bumper on the Vita.

Also, as with so many other poorly conceived RP control schemes, the whole of the front screen is mapped as the DS4 touchpad, and since it's really easy to accidentally touch the screen with your thumb just by using the sticks, you often look at the map without wanting to.

The Vita's back touchpad is simply not a good control option for anything you might have to hold more than a second. Take a look at how Killzone Shadowfall and Destiny do it, with Touch buttons for L1 and R1 on the Vita's touchscreen in the bottom corners, or look at how Warframe lets you customize every singleinput to map it where you want.

The way it is, though, it's simply unplayable.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

kyl3_mac1989

21%
02 Rank
Progress
kyl3_mac1989
Accepted Solution

the default mappings for the controls are terrible and either need to be completely changed or the option to customize must be made available .

0 Kudos

shadow of mordor poor remote play controls

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

leonkennedy1978

21%
02 Rank
Progress
leonkennedy1978
Accepted Solution

Another examples:

-dying ligh and zombie, you have to shoot or hit with back touch buttons, holy *****.

0 Kudos

Add your issues with REMOTE PLAY Control Layouts for PS4/PS Vita Remote Play - Sony, Help!

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
MVP
/16

Rhinne

• MVP
99%
09 Rank
Progress
Rhinne
leonkennedy1978
Accepted Solution

Not sure why you bumped a long dead thread for that. 

But either way, it's not up to Sony to fix this. It's down to the developer to set the best controls, or program in the option to customise the controls.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

MyklBlue

24%
02 Rank
Progress
MyklBlue
Rhinne
Accepted Solution

Sony could put in functionality to remap buttons across the board. It's not all on the devs. 

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Werner19840803

28%
02 Rank
Progress
Werner19840803
Accepted Solution

WHERE TO GET SIXAXIS REPAIR TOOL

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Werner19840803

28%
02 Rank
Progress
Werner19840803
Accepted Solution

PS3

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

MyklBlue

24%
02 Rank
Progress
MyklBlue
Accepted Solution

I have Hori remote play assist which is awesome when the l2 r2 and l3 and r3 buttons are mapped to the rear touch pad, but these games are few and far between  Most games have totally messed up controls as if a monkey designed the control scheme by randomly picking buttons! I know some people don't like this setup but even without the assist grip, it should be the default on all games and then have a second optional layout to whatever the developers want, but some of the setups are completely crazy! Front touch to sprint or crouch when u have to hold the button is just nonsensical and shooting with top corners of front touch screen is ridiculous! Just got God of war 4 and it is totally unplayable on the Vita! Very disappointed with a Sony game doing this. A simple fix would be the ability to custom map the buttons as the player sees fit and that would keep everyone happy! That should be mandatory on all games! The worst part is, the control scheme layout screen always has 1/1 on the bottom as if there would be more options but there never is any! Come on Sony, it can't be that hard to let us specify our own control scheme! It's the least you could do since you have stopped making games and completely dumped all your Vita customers, with only a few great games, now that you have our money! 

0 Kudos

View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel