12 Dec 2013
By KR1000

Playstation Staff

After Update 1.52 PS4 keeps shutting down randomly!

10 Replies 2,207 Views Created 12-12-2013

I updated my PS4 to 1.52 and after a while the PS4 randomly shut down but when i restarted it worked fine. Then overnight it kept turning itself on and off again randomly and when I have turned it on today it has loaded safe mode, i then tried updating it again and rebuilding the database but it would simply reboot in safe mode. The next option i tried was to unplug it and plug it back in which worked, it rebuilt the database and started working again.

But after a while it shutdown again and I had to repeat the process and then again and again

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11 (2,207 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Re: After Update 1.52 PS4 keeps shutting down randomly!

The same thing is happening with my ps4
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11 (2,129 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Same here ,keeps shutting down and asking to boot in safe mode,then a menu screen with restart ps4 , rebuild database blah blah what's going on here.needs sorting quick.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11 (1,991 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Yeah this problem or similar problems are beginning to appear alot on forums, mine has stopped doing it now luckily, I don't know if it made any difference but instead of playing it until it shut down randomly again I turned it off normally using the controller and left it for an hour or so and then turned it on and let it boot up normally, since then it has been fine

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11 (1,987 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

I recently had this problem spoke to PS support and the guy saind to do a full initialisation and he said that this more often than not solves the issue and I did this on saturday and have had no issues since hope this helps guys

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 11 (1,951 Views)

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

Hi Guys,

This seems to be happening to me too :smileysad:

I got my PS4 yesterday and updated the software/firmware to 1.52 over the internet from the PS4 system itself. (It said it had to update in order to enable some features)

It worked fine for a good few hours but after that the screen flickered a little and the PS4 turned itself off. (No warning lights or beeps)

I waited a few minutes and turned it on again - where it went into safe mode and checked the disk, and once that was complete it started up again up fine.

This kept on happening almost every 20 minutes, then down to every 10 minutes - which frustrated me.

I looked up on the internet in regards to possible issues/fixes where by I re-initialised (full initialise which took about the PS4 to it's default settings from scratch removing all data/game data and then re-installing the games.

However this issue seems to be still happening - any help would be great! 

I've also emailed JB Hifi (where I got the unit from) but I'm not sure how a replacement/repair/warranty issue will go as it was a pre-order and stock seems to be really tight at the moment :smileysad:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11 (1,857 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

I am also having the same problem! I'm not sure if it was the update because I was still having crash issues with games like BF4 and COD Ghosts.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11 (1,840 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Hi Jazza79. I have an almost identical story.

Picked up my PS4 from JB Hi Fi on Wednesday, brought it home and installed all the latest updates etc.

Played for several hours with no issue.

Then on Thursday I played for about 15 minutes and then the screen started to flicker and then the PS4 switched off.

Now it appears that I can play for at most a few minutes before the same thing happens.

I've tried multiple HDMI cables and multiple HDMI ports but they don't seem to make a difference.

The only other thing I can try is a different TV although I don't have one to hand. (I'm also skeptical as to whether it would make a difference considering the system was fine for several hours initially.)

I will post if I have any luck.

Have you had any joy yourself?
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11 (1,776 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

I noticed it only seems to do it when I'm on assassins creed IV it beeps 3 times then shuts off and then keeps doing it when I try turning it back on but is ok if i leave it for a while.

I have just read that it could be the temperature sensor detecting when it gets too hot and auto shutting off to prevent damage, so the advice was too stand the PS4 on its side.

I have only just done this so I don't know if it works but it's worth a try :Smile:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11 (1,722 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Hi.How do you do a full installation? I am having the same problem.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11 (50 Views)
0 Kudos