74%
02 Rank
Progress

PS4 Dualshock 4 Controller disconnecting after a few seconds

112 Replies 170,911 Views Created 26-01-2015
26 Jan 2015
By draham2

Hello to all,

I just got a PS4 a few days ago and I am experiencing an issue with BOTH controllers.

It seems that after about 10-20 seconds of not using the DS4 controller it just disconnects.

At the beggining I though it was the controller, but it happens the same with both controllers.

I checked the power settings of the controllers and they were fine. I set to be disconnected after 60 minutes of inactivity and even used the configuration of "off" to avoid getting disconnected and is still the same.

I also noticed that getting far from the console, lets say about 1 meter, the controller starts to underperform. Is like the controllers were poor on battery but they are not, they are full of battery.

Any idea of what this can be?

The DS4 are blutooth right? they should work fine around 5-6 meters from the console, isnt it?

Thanks for the help in advance, I appreciate it.

Sergio

View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16
84%
03 Rank
Progress
taylorcrockett92
Accepted Solution

Have you ensured they have full charge. Check your charge levels and possible leave your controllers on for a good few hours. Do the controllers work okay when they are connected by USB?

Also check there is no interferiance. I.E routers or even certain lighbulbs!

Re: PS4 Dualshock 4 Controller disconnecting after a few seconds

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

ZakAttak70

48%
02 Rank
Progress
ZakAttak70
Accepted Solution

I have 4 controllers       they all go offline    untill i unplug  y  ps4

then  they are fine fir  about  40  mins     *****  is going  on?     i  think  i  am going to delete the last update

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

QUADBABY

42%
02 Rank
Progress
QUADBABY
Accepted Solution
I have been having the same problem ,after 40min the ps4 disconnects all my sticks and I have to unplug it from the back. let me know if you find a fix

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

savage501r

27%
02 Rank
Progress
savage501r
QUADBABY
Accepted Solution

I am having the same problem :( ima copy and paste what you have said hopefully we find the solution 

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

draham2

74%
02 Rank
Progress
draham2
Accepted Solution
Hello Taylorcrockett92,

Thanks for the feedback.

They have full charge and charged over the night. I have the impression it is not the battery.

When connected with the cable same thing happens.

It is like if the Bluetooth was not performing.

Do you think the vertical position of the console could affect? May be should be placed horizontal?

It seems weird to me that Bluetooth performs that bad.

Again, thanks for the support.

BR,

Sergio
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

draham2

74%
02 Rank
Progress
draham2
Accepted Solution

I even noticed, that seating like one meter away from the console, the speaker of the DS4 controller, it glitches, it looses continuity when not pointing directly to the PS4 console. Like if you had a remote control and needed to point to the tv to change a channel. And I mean wih full battery.

Bluetooth is not infrared, shouldnt be that unidirectional.

The effect is like if you had the typical bluetooth wireless headset connected to your phone and you would get too far from it.

On top of that, it seems the cable has just charging functionalities, it is not used to transfer the information to the console.

It seems pretty sorry not have a cable plugged and still send the DS4 controller information through bluetooth... but i guess it is how they implemented it.

thanks again for the help.

BR,

Sergio

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16
84%
03 Rank
Progress
taylorcrockett92
Accepted Solution

All seems very strange. I would advise speaking to your retailer for an exchane as it could be a console issue.

If you have a friend with a PS4 try using their controllers on your console and yours on there vice versa

If theres works on yours then you have a controller issue. theres doesnt then it couldbe a console issue. IF thees an issue speak to your retailler or use your 12 month warrenty through PS support.

you can arrange it yourself

https://hardware.support.eu.playstation.com/?smcid=rma_ps4support_en_uk#/

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

draham2

74%
02 Rank
Progress
draham2
Accepted Solution

i did some tests last night.

Several things I noticed:

1. The controllers dont get disconnected on the PS4 main menu, this is, before playing any game.
  2. on the main menu of the PS4 the performance of the DS4 is more or less ok, through when getting far than 2 meters from the console the performance of the DS4 gets crancky.
  3. When playing in a game (tomb raider definitive edition), if the cable is plugged the DS4 dont disconnect but the performance is worst than when navigating throught the PS4 main menu.

I hope it rings any bell. In any case I will run a full case analysis this weekend and will let you know.

BR,

Sergio

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

draham2

74%
02 Rank
Progress
draham2
Accepted Solution

Hello again,

I still keep troubleshooting but I dont find any solution.

Googling around, i found this video on the youtube where the same issue is reproduced on a window 7.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7DUV4T8744

It is actually talking about the same issue that I have, after a few seconds the DS4 disconnects.

Do you think has something to do with the drivers in the PS4... I just dont know where to look for any more...

Thanks for the help,

Sergio

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

draham2

74%
02 Rank
Progress
draham2
Accepted Solution

hello again,

More googling took me to this thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=880250

these guys have the same issue. It seems they think is the wifi router channel.

Not sure but i will try tonight...

Any help is appreaciated.

BR,

Sergio

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

draham2

74%
02 Rank
Progress
draham2
Accepted Solution

No progress here.

Can anybody help?

BR,

Sergio

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

PanyoNgf

73%
02 Rank
Progress
PanyoNgf
Accepted Solution

Hi Sergio and everyone!

Sorrybut I have no solution, I just wanted to join you in that because I have the very same issue: not long after playing a game (tested with Driveclub, LBP3, FF Type-0 HD, FF XV demo) the DS4 gets very very laggy, then stops reacting to any button push, sometimes it keeps repeating the last command it get (e.g. the character in the game keeps runnig in one direction forever), and many times it turns off. Sound is cracking when headphones are plugged into the controller as well. I have two controllers: 1 came with the bundle, and one separate (white), both of them suffers those symptoms.

I have found that thread on neogaf as well but nothing in that helped to solve the issue. I have a router in our flat but it is not near to the PS4, plus I use the console with wired net conneciton. The problem occurs every time. The most interesting thing I noticed during the headphones plugged in: the bad sound was present but when I moved my hands with the DS4 in it into a certain position it seemed to solve it and I received good sound without any problem, like you said it is like a remote control, it has to see a sweet spot.

As for the distance I noticed today that keeping a distance of around 1-1,5m seems to solve the lag issues but not completely. What is very annoying is that now we are at the flat of my wife's parents where they have way less wireless gadgets, less neighbours with wireless routers and still have the problem. It seems to be a bluetooth receiver thing I think and not an interference thing.

I use the PS4 horizontal, does not have any other bluetooth device turned on, using the DS4s with the USB cable does not help at all, resetting/resyncing the DS4s did not help. Very strange for me that Sony seems to be unaware of the problem as it makes the system quite unusable.

Any help is very much appreciated by anyone!

Thanks!

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

draham2

74%
02 Rank
Progress
draham2
Accepted Solution
Hello PanyoNgf

It is exactly that!
I had same issue as you described.

I tried any of the troubleshooting in the support area and it is a dead end.

I think is a bug on the Bluetooth system of the console itself. I want to believe at a stage playstation will patch it.
I don't think is a HW problem, because it would work at all the DS4, so it must be lack of energy on the Bluetooth module.

Or it could be just a defective batch.
Where did you buy your console? Mine was bought in Madrid (Spain)
Is your console reference number starts with 02-27452252-XXXXXXX?

Maybe both of us thinking or troubleshooting we can solve it out...

Thanks for the help!

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

alexwilliams15

21%
02 Rank
Progress
alexwilliams15
Accepted Solution

Sad to say I don't have a solution as I still suffer the same problem, if anyone can find a solution it would be a big problem fixer for me

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

TheScottydude

44%
02 Rank
Progress
TheScottydude
draham2
Accepted Solution

Hallo'!! So Draham, your in luck!! I had the same issue. Here is the solution! Glad I could help too! It's because your PS3 was overheating! Try moving it to a place where it can get some ventilation in the back. I have recently moved mine, and everything is fine now. So cool PS4 is a happy PS4! Don't get it overheated. 

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

PanyoNgf

73%
02 Rank
Progress
PanyoNgf
Accepted Solution
Hi all again!

Seems like I managed to solve it with a real.simple thing: I changed tue position of the ps4 from horizontal to vertical. I have read somewhere that the bluetooth receuver/antenna is at the bottom of the console where you can replace the hdd. I have even managed to use wifi with that position and did not get a single lag/disconnect issue.

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

draham2

74%
02 Rank
Progress
draham2
Accepted Solution

Sorry, i answered last time and i didnt see your post.

Let me check tonight and I will get back to you.

Hope that solves the problem.

Any specific side up or down?

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

draham2

74%
02 Rank
Progress
draham2
Accepted Solution

Nothing. No progress at all.

I placed the PS4 vertical, with the bigger side on the left, and i have the same issue.

Still no progress.

Di you hit the PS4 while doing it? maybe is something that might be doing a proper contact...

Dont know...

Thanks for the help,

Sergio 

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

PanyoNgf

73%
02 Rank
Progress
PanyoNgf
Accepted Solution

Hi Sergio!

Sorry for my late reply.

I got the PS4 as a birthday present and it si from Budapest (Hungary). As for the number I am not sure but I will check it when I get home tonight (at work right now...).

Aaaand unfortunately I have to join you again as it seems that my solution was only temporary. This weekend I had many of my friends around playing with the PS4 and the issue came again. The sam things we have described before.

One weird thing I have to add that when I first tried the vertical position I was at the flat of my wife's parents. They do not use any bluetooth device (as I know). At my place there is a Samsung smart tv with bluetooth (for smart remote, wireless keyboard and mouse) and I have noticed it that it is always on. Do you think that might cause the problem? I mean another bluetooth device continously on next to the console. I can only think about that because meanwhile I changed to wired connection with every device I have and possible, even the PS4. The only ones with wifi connection is my laptop and two smartphones. I even tried to change the channel of my router without success.

Right now I am thinking of writing to Sony Hungary and ask them about the issue but I think their answer would be to send the console back to the seller/service.... and I would like to avoid that as it would be a very long time until I get it back.

I don't know whether I have written or not but using the DS4 wired is not a solution either.

I hope we can solve this one one way or another!

Thanks for your reply! ;)

PanyoNgf

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

PanyoNgf

73%
02 Rank
Progress
PanyoNgf
Accepted Solution

I have just checked the model no. of my PS4 and it is CUH1116A. it seems that it is the new revision model in which Sony changed the Wifi part and the bluetooth part as well: http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/05/31/new-ps4-model-certified-by-the-fcc-first-difference-and-offic...

What is your PS4's model no.?

As for your question regarding the position of the PS4: the shiny part is up as the bluray drive is there plus the receiver for the bluetooth is there as well.

[ Edited ]
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel