Playstation Staff

Re: PS4 share button saves the wrong footage?

X1BALBA wrote:
Just been playing an hour of Trials hit 'share' after getting the medal I was after, and I get a message about how the PS4 constantly records or something. Then when I go to 'upload video clip' there is no footage of my hour of play.

Edit. I do now have two seconds of footage of the Result screen.

OK someone else has mentioned a similar problem. It may be that the update has reset the recording so try double pressing the Share button to start recording. Then play for a while and try to save a video clip as normal. 

Let me know if this resolves the problem. 

SFZ 

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 141 of 294 (449 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

This has only saved 15 minutes from the double tap. No later footage has been saved. Continued to play, beat a previous time (still playing Trials) hit 'share' only footage available is the 15 minutes from the double tap. The system does not seem to be able to record anything after the first 15 minutes of play (as a few have stated here already).
Please use plain text.
Message 142 of 294 (415 Views)
Level 2

Playstation Staff

According to a twitter conversation between myself, SFZ and another user. He found [The other user] that the issue has been resolved. however, you need to hit share button, then hit square on the share menu to save the footage. this saves the correct footage and starts a new recording session from that moment

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 143 of 294 (408 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 2

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

Can anyone test the scenario mentioned above and give us second opinions?

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 144 of 294 (402 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 2

Playstation Staff

OK, so i've done some testing post 1.7, and I think the "wrong footage after 15 minutes" problem MAY have been resolved.

The big thing is that the way you save footage has been changed - I think that's why some people have found no footage has saved at all. You now have to press square AFTER short pressing the share button once to "save video clip". I think this is how the problem has been solved.

SO, here's what i did. Quick note: i'm using the standard button control type for the share button.

- I played Battlefield 4 (notorious for wrong footage share button issues), and made sure to play for LONGER than 15 minutes. I did NOT short, long, or double tap the share button before I started playing. I just turned on my PS4, downloaded the 1.7 firmware, and started playing.

- After 25 minutes of playing online, having changed servers and played multiple rounds, I short pressed the share button once. Share menu opens. From there, I hit square to "save video clip".

- A UI notification now appears in the top right hand corner to say "video clip saved".

- I then hit the playstation button and closed the share button menu, returning to the game. I DID NOT go into the upload video clip menu, nor did i preview the clip or go into the trimming menu. I went straight back to the game.

- I then kept playing for another seven seconds by parachuting off the roof of a Dawnbreaker skyscraper in a most dramatic fashion.

- I then hit share button again, hit square again, and another clip was saved.

- THEN I quit the game completely and returned to the Playstation home screen. I navigated along to the new "Capture Gallery" square tile, and selected the battlefield 4 folder.

- In the battlefield 4 clips folder, there were two clips. The first was 15 minutes long, going back 15 minutes from when i hit share / square (when I was standing on top of the skyscraper). Basically, the correct footage.

- The second clip was seven seconds long, beginning on top of the skyscraper, and ending after i jumped off and hit share / square.

In summary, I THINK IT WORKS CORRECTLY NOW. Fingers crossed. The big thing that has been solved is that lingering problem of the single short share button press having the correct video thumbnail, but when you go into the trimming menu, the video is from a random earlier point in your game, which used to mean your cool moment / footage would be lost.

This has now been solved. I think.... hope... pray... ;-)

Please use plain text.
Message 145 of 294 (398 Views)
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Just tried this and it does indeed seem to work now. Thank you :smileyhappy:

Not pressing square must have been the reason for it not saving my previous attempts. I had been wanting to edit footage before I save/share it, hadn't clicked that I had to actually save it first. Make so much sense now. *sigh*
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 146 of 294 (362 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 2

Playstation Staff

haha no worries! Yeah I think the addition of the square button press tells the ps4 exactly what you want to save (i.e. from the moment you pressed share, going backwards up to 15 minutes). Tried it again in Battlefield 4, after closing the game and playing longer than 15 minutes, and again, correct footage was saved. I am cautiously optimistic that we can finally put this problem to bed!! :-)

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 147 of 294 (337 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Just tried again. No footage recorded, no option to press square after hitting share. Only footage available to share is the trimmed footage I had shared earlier. Am I missing something?
This is just bizarre now.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 148 of 294 (323 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 2

Playstation Staff

That's weird. I know that the option to press square to save video clip goes away if you hit the share button while looking at the Playstation home screen. I think you have to hit share and then square when you're actually in game. (you can pause the game you're playing by pressing options)...

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 149 of 294 (320 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]
That's what I did. Completed my run. Hit share. Hit Square (although no option appeared) . Viewed footage and it's of my previous trimmed footage. No other footage shows ,

Edit. I'm still in game when hitting share.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 150 of 294 (317 Views)
0 Kudos