61%
02 Rank
Progress

Ps4 Download speed

[ Edited ]
926 Replies 54,829 Views edited 08-10-2015
24 Jun 2015
By PuRe_Replay007

I got the ps4 2 days ago and I'm downloading games... But the speed is too low while using wired and wifi and in my PC it's fast I downloaded 40gb in 12hrs... While in ps4 It takes over 6hrs for 3 GB.. I need help to make it faster

PSN Slow download speeds 

We are aware of reports that some users are experiencing slower then usual download speeds from the PlayStation Store.

This has been reported to our network team for investigation. Please keep an eye on this thread for updates.

LABELS: Online-PSN
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Black-Spore

43%
02 Rank
Progress
Black-Spore
Accepted Solution

Hope someone will be able to answer this, for the past 2 weeks, any downloads done from PSN have been very slow, to the point where it took 3+hours to download 30mb, however browsing the store is fast.

Is this a issue with my ISP or region? have tried using alternate connection methods such as connecting my PS3 via my mobile phone, just to check if the speed would increase and it did! my mobile phone is able to download much faster but of course i can't download gigs of data with it as this would be extremely costly.

BTW, downloads from all other sites are normal, only PSN downloads are crazy slow.

if anyone can provide some insight to this it would be greatly appreciated.

Also i'm in South Africa (if that could help)

PSN Downloads very slow

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16
73%
02 Rank
Progress
Willium_Bob_Cole
Accepted Solution

I've only ever had slow downloads on PSN. Sometimes EXTREMELY SLOW, other times, just really really slow. I use wireless internet for my PS3, but it shouldn't take, as you say and I know from experience, MORE THAN ONE HOUR (usually more than multiple hours) to download a SMALL update, of 30MB or 120MB or whatever it is at the time, I usually only ever download game and demos that I can download in the background, and just leave my PS3 on for days at a time, and refrain from downloading updates unless I specifically need to be online or need that update. Again, yes I use wireless, but it should NOT be THAT slow!!

Re: PSN Downloads very slow

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Black-Spore

43%
02 Rank
Progress
Black-Spore
Accepted Solution

Well i tested it again tonight and boom i was downloading at full speed again! ... its just so strange, 1 week really bad, the next full...

and i also used wireless, my speeds was better than the land line, which to be was really odd... but glad things are back to normal.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
MVP
/16

strangeplaice

• MVP
95%
10 Rank
Progress
strangeplaice
Accepted Solution
Occasionally maintenance on the network that doesn't result in downtime, or heightened traffic (eg, when a new COD map comes out) will result in the network slowing down. At times even things like a very popular game or recently the 10 free PS+ games cause things to slow up.

It's unavoidable bottlenecking that all networks suffer from. But if none of that is happening at the time switching to wired should help. If wireless is faster then that'd suggest there's possibly a problem with your network, or that your ethernet cable is faulty.
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16
73%
02 Rank
Progress
Willium_Bob_Cole
Accepted Solution

I just cant afford a new ethernet cable at this moment, and wireless should still never be this fast, there is next to no interference between the connections, other devices happily stream HD movies, I only ever get slow as hell speeds on PSN, it's pretty unforgivable, and to say it is 'occasional maintenance' or 'bottlenecking' is a pretty cop out excuse in my opinion, steam manages to handle big releases of full titles worldwide, many gigabytes in size, and I manage a respectable 1.5 MB/s of my usual 1.7MB/s. PSN of course can't show you what speed it is actually downloading any files, you just kind of have to judge for yourslf based on the progress bar, but HOURS for BASIC updates is unforgivable! I love the console don't get me wrong, but the console market is dated and needs to take a leaf from the pc gaming industry, in the same way that printed media needs to take a leaf out of online media's book to not fall behind the times.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
MVP
/16

strangeplaice

• MVP
95%
10 Rank
Progress
strangeplaice
Accepted Solution
Hang on. Did you say your network speed it 1.5Mbps? That's below the minimum for optimal Networking performance and well below the minimum for PSN which is roughly 2-2.2MBps. Anything below that and choppy poor quality gaming is really to be expected no matter what you play on.

You can get a new Ethernet cable for around 25p.
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

gymno74

99%
05 Rank
Progress
gymno74
Accepted Solution

strangeplaice wrote:
Hang on. Did you say your network speed it 1.5Mbps? That's below the minimum for optimal Networking performance and well below the minimum for PSN which is roughly 2-2.2MBps. Anything below that and choppy poor quality gaming is really to be expected no matter what you play on.

You can get a new Ethernet cable for around 25p.

he's downloading at 1.5MBps not 1.5Mbps.

that's equates to a connection of approx 12-13Mb

i also wouldn't buy an ethernet cable for 25p.

ideally you want atleast cat5 or preferably shielded cat5e

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
MVP
/16

strangeplaice

• MVP
95%
10 Rank
Progress
strangeplaice
Accepted Solution
You can purchase branded Cat 5 cables for almost any price. The 25p I stated was simply so people searching don't go out buying the £70 variants that are exactly the same. They take seconds to make and cost almost nothing to produce so really any old one will do as long as its Category 5 (Ethernet).

Are you sure? I'm going to wait for confirmation as people use Mb and MB ambiguously even though they're different quantities.
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16
73%
02 Rank
Progress
Willium_Bob_Cole
Accepted Solution

I specifically used MB/s as opposed to Mbps, I understand that many people are confused by this but I am most certainly not, I just find it distrustful and mislead on the part of ISPs who offer, in my case, UPTO 20 Mbps, and then lesser educated people are confused when their download seem to only be 2MB/s or so, when it is in fact the same figure. I know ethernet cables are cheap and would never be ripped off by a cable store, but I am seriously poor at this moment lol, food has to take priority I'm afraid.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

gruf69

81%
05 Rank
Progress
gruf69
Accepted Solution

if thats what you call a respeictable speed your having a laugh change your isp or go for fibre

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

lewys

94%
03 Rank
Progress
lewys
Accepted Solution

gruf69 wrote:

if thats what you call a respeictable speed your having a laugh change your isp or go for fibre

respeictable?

Who are you talking to? The guy who said he had a RESPECTABLE speed of 1.5 MB/s of his usual 1.7MB/s on the 1st page on 19-07-2012?

Bit late i think and he may just have already changed his ISP or got fibre in the last 3 years.

No point in telling him this now.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Kaamuuu

63%
02 Rank
Progress
Kaamuuu
Accepted Solution

Learn to spell before picking fault with someone. 

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

miahz1986

75%
02 Rank
Progress
miahz1986
Accepted Solution

Seriously this speed issue has been going on since June 2015. As of yet Sony have NOT even bothered to get this fixed. 

This is what a 46Mbps connection will get you on PSN

At this rate I am seriously thinking of selling the PS4 and getting the Microsoft Xbox One. With Microsoft Xbox One hardware might not be up to scratch with PS4 but one thing for sure is Microsoft will have better SERVERS.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

TheGrumpyAnt

95%
05 Rank
Progress
TheGrumpyAnt
Accepted Solution

And yet you will wait longer for disk installs, go figure

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

miahz1986

75%
02 Rank
Progress
miahz1986
Accepted Solution

I'd take that long disc installation of 20-30minutes over a 30+ hours to download an update.

At that rate on a Xbox One I would end up installing game from disc + update faster than just getting a dam update from PSN :Thumbs:

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

TheGrumpyAnt

95%
05 Rank
Progress
TheGrumpyAnt
Accepted Solution

You never owned a Xbox one have you

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

miahz1986

75%
02 Rank
Progress
miahz1986
Accepted Solution

My brother has one. Main reason I purchased Sony PS4 is due to being faster and better. However PSN is a let down for me.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

miahz1986

75%
02 Rank
Progress
miahz1986
Accepted Solution

Just had a few minutes of spare time and done a quick photo edit. Thought I'd update the Sony PS4 advertisement. Think this is how Sony should advertise the PS4 LOL

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

StickyAlly

40%
02 Rank
Progress
StickyAlly
Accepted Solution

I have 10mb of Optic Fiber, i am trying to download the Fifa 16 demo, and i will have to wait 36 hours to play it because the download is horrible. The connection test is ok, i have the Ps4 connected directly to the modem. I don´t know what is happening, but please, fix it. I bought this to play and get fun, not to worry because psn goes bad...

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

JoltenPojken

24%
02 Rank
Progress
JoltenPojken
miahz1986
Accepted Solution

Wouldn't be so sure. Just sold my xbox one and got a ps4 instead. I experienced the same download issiues there. For some reason it allways takes les than 2 seconds to uninstall a game from both consoles. Must be something with how their cloud system is built

0 Kudos

Ps4 Download speed

View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel