13 Dec 2013
Playstation Staff

Receiving REALLY Low WiFi Speeds Through PS4

8 Replies 1,857 Views Created 13-12-2013

Probably my biggest gripe with the PS4 so far is this. For some reason, most of the time my PS4 is receiving a fraction of the WiFi speed it should be. 

My normal internet, as confirmed by a speedtest on my laptop is around 3MBps Down and 1MBps Up. (Awful, I know)

Connection test on the PS4 gives 0.6MBps most of the time with 0.5 Up. 

As soon as I plug in an ethernet it jumps up to around 3 where it should be. 

Maybe your signal is too weak?

- Nope, my WiFi booster box sits less than a metre away from my PS4, just where my PS3 used to be which functioned perfectly. 

Why not just keep the ethernet plugged in then?

- I live in a fairly large house with thick walls. 1 router is not enough and so there is a wifi booster box in my room with an ethernet in the back of it to supply WiFi to half of the house. If I use that cable, then half the house gets no internet :smileysad: 

The weak WiFi combined with the inherently bug-filled and lagfest state of BF4 at the moment is causing a lot of frustration, as I can't always tell if it's my PS4 or the crappy game, but I've had nothing but a terrible experience so far :smileysad:

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9 (1,857 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Re: Receiving REALLY Low WiFi Speeds Through PS4

I was with my mobile. I changed the wifi channel and now its prefect. Give that ago. Make sure you don't leave it on auto on the router otherwise the router will choose the bad channel again.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9 (1,852 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

I don't quite get what you are trying to suggest. 

I don't think changing channels on my router will be of any help. Seeing as I live out in the countryside, there's no interference from other wifi networks. 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9 (1,832 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 11

Playstation Staff

Homeplugs maybe your best option check the video below, Wifi can be dependent on the router, construction of the house you live in and nearby Wifi interference. The homeplugs demonstrated below are for the UK market but they'll give you an idea how they work. Use them upstairs myself far superior to Wifi. 

SneezeSneeze
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9 (1,827 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Guys, you are missing the point here. 

It can't be an issue with my WiFi. 

My laptop functions fine with the WiFi and my PS3 worked fine with it as well in the same place. Absolutely nothing has changed except a PS4 now sits where my PS3 used to be. 

So you see, through a simple process of elimination this must mean the error lies with the PS4. 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9 (1,808 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

I had a similar problem. No problems with wired connection, but WiFi kept losing connection or low speeds, even though all other devices in the house were fine (PS3/iPad/laptop/Experia). I switched channels from 11 to 6 and have not a problem since with the PS4 (solid connections, 30Mbs+).

So, just to eliminate any channel issue, just try switching to another channel. You never know, it might just work for you too.

I believe there is a problem with the PS4 wireless card and/or driver, though. I shouldn't have to switch channels to make it work since all other devices in the house were working fine.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9 (1,727 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

I have same problem today. But now it WAS SOLVED!!! Im really happy. I wonder why the speed was so slow because my ps3 works fine. Actually the problem was at the wifi setup. How I solved it was by setup your wifi setting again and NOW bu using the WPS option. You must press the WPS button on your router and VOILA,, it works like charm. My speed is like normal again :smileyhappy: Hope I can help
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9 (1,107 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Have you found a solution to this yet? My case is similar but a bit more extreme. I have a 60MBps down/15MBps up connection coming into the house. I have a Nighthawk R700 Router that delivers 54MBps down and 12Mbps up to the furthest reaches of my house both on mobile devices and laptops. For some reason, my PS4 NEVER exceeds 10MBps and spends most of the time around 2MBps. My upload speeds are ecven worse as they never exceed 2MBps and usually hover around 800K. 

I would rather not have to send it to Sony and be without my console for weeks but I'm at my end with this. I've done Qos and UPNP and just about everything else that should help. If you have a solution, please share. :/ 

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9 (1,041 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 7

Playstation Staff

Is your router broadcasting a wifi modeN signal? Your mention of 54Mbs suggests this is a mode b/g router. Ps4 works with mode N. Maybe time for an upgrade?
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9 (1,024 Views)
0 Kudos