Problem Solved

View Original Post
14 Aug 2013
By MontyMc

MontyMc

76%
03 Rank
Progress

Can Anyone Recommend A SSD For the PS4 (1TB)

37 Replies 8,342 Views Created 14-08-2013
14 Aug 2013
By MontyMc

I want a SSD for my PS4 any ideas?

0 Kudos
LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

soozibags

• Beta Tester
98%
13 Rank
Progress
soozibags
Accepted Solution

From what I've read, you're unlikely to get any benefit from an SSD in the PS4, especially when you take cost into consideration - I'm sure someone more technically minded will come along and give you a more comprehesive answer though!

0 Kudos

Re: Can Anyone Recommend A SSD For the PS4 (1TB)

Twitter * YouTube * GD Nativity

'I would of been on it like a car boot but £50 is just taking the Michelle'

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Semaphia

97%
10 Rank
Progress
Semaphia
Accepted Solution

Generally speaking, the HDD will be the slowest component in any modern system. I'd assume that's also true about the PS4, but I couldn't really recommend a 1TB SSD...

I absolutely love my Samsung SSD, but a 1TB model will set you back £500 :p http://www.expansys.com/samsung-1tb-ssd-840-evo-series-2-5-sata-6gb-s-turbowrite-251908/?utm_source=...

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

MontyMc

76%
03 Rank
Progress
MontyMc
Accepted Solution

Semaphia wrote:

Generally speaking, the HDD will be the slowest component in any modern system. I'd assume that's also true about the PS4, but I couldn't really recommend a 1TB SSD...

I absolutely love my Samsung SSD, but a 1TB model will set you back £500 :p http://www.expansys.com/samsung-1tb-ssd-840-evo-series-2-5-sata-6gb-s-turbowrite-251908/?utm_source=...

If that's the case can you recommend a high quality HDD I can buy

I want one that fast but stores a lot of data I feel 1tb should last me.

P.S that SSD is VERY Expensive while it is very go

od that price is too much.

So I am set a HDD it is for me.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
MVP
/16

mont348

• MVP
96%
13 Rank
Progress
mont348
Accepted Solution

It'll probably be a waste of money putting an SSD in a PS4 if it's like the PS3 the OS will throttle it's full performance potential. The performance benefit would be marginal think of it like putting an engine out of a Bugatti Veyron in a tank, uneconomical for the little gain you'd get. Just shop around for a quality HDD after launch 500GB should be plenty for starters maybe 6 months to year later look at increasing to 1TB upwards, hopefully by then people online have tested SSD's but I can't see it being a worthy investment for a game console.

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

tmcd35

80%
02 Rank
Progress
tmcd35
Accepted Solution
Heres details of ssd on PS3

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-can-ssd-upgrades-boost-ps3-performance

Basically, old version of SATA and lack of RAM bottlenecked the system preventing any real benefit. Of course, this won't be the case in PS4. However do consider that most ganes are designed to be run off slower Blu-Ray and devs work hard to manage when to load data in to faster RAM. In truth your only likely to shave a second or two off initial loading times. Hardly worth more than the price if the console.

If you really want to get te odd millisecond here and there then one of these would be the best purchase:
http://www.ebuyer.com/480284-seagate-1tb-solid-state-hybrid-drive-sshd-st1000lm014
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
----
Blog: http://consolegamer.me

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Award Winner
/16

THE_FORCE

• Award Winner
90%
13 Rank
Progress
THE_FORCE
Accepted Solution
I'd wait until we see real world performance benefits before dropping £s on an SSD or SSHD.
0 Kudos

"It's not about whether you win or lose, it's all about how well you play the game...."

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

ShineHunter

83%
05 Rank
Progress
ShineHunter
Accepted Solution

THE_FORCE wrote:
I'd wait until we see real world performance benefits before dropping £s on an SSD or SSHD.

This^

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

JLOPEZWV

21%
02 Rank
Progress
JLOPEZWV
Accepted Solution

I'm going with the Samsung SSD 840 EVO 1TB a lot of ppl might say thats dumb but the way i see it is the HDD is the only thing thats lacky in the PS4....

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Semaphia

97%
10 Rank
Progress
Semaphia
Accepted Solution

JLOPEZWV wrote:

I'm going with the Samsung SSD 840 EVO 1TB a lot of ppl might say thats dumb but the way i see it is the HDD is the only thing thats lacky in the PS4....

Well, I'd hardly say its the only thing, but it's certainly the only thing we can do something about :D

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

rider1

90%
03 Rank
Progress
rider1
Accepted Solution
I can't recommend a SSD for PS4 as it will not take much advantage from it. I do use SSD on my laptop and it makes a huge difference. My laptop boots up in 20 seconds and can start using applications right away. It takes like 2+ minutes when I used a hard drive. Plus all applications loads faster and I can run lots of applications at the same time without any slowdowns. I will never get a new computer without SSD.
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

Symonator

• Beta Tester
89%
09 Rank
Progress
Symonator
Accepted Solution

SSD won't last long in ps4 since ps4 won't support trim, so it will just get clogged up and cut it's lifecycle considerably.

SSD's in computers work different because the OS tells it what to do.
Sonys wil not.

I'd buy an SSD with caution for now, for ps4 anyway.

Then again, if you are not one to install/delete/remove - install/delete/remove data often on your console, might not be a big issue at first.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

B_LEE_DAT

21%
02 Rank
Progress
B_LEE_DAT
Accepted Solution

In my experience I saw gains from putting an SSD in my PS3.  I used a microcenter brand cheapy for over 2.5 years with no issues with it crashing.  I saw install and load times decrease, but not a night and day difference.  The main game i saw a huge difference in was Gran Turismo 5, it got rid of so many load screens.

But I will be getting an SSD for my PS4, i may wait for others to test the waters first lol.  I'm looking at the Samsung 840 EVO series, great price for huge specs.  I'll likely wait a month or so to see how much of the 500gb I'm using, hopefully ill be able to use a 250gb just fine but if not ill get the 500gb.

Regardless if the SSD fails, it comes with a 3-5 year warranty, and if anything it runs at a cooler temp with less power and quieter.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Raptor2099

34%
02 Rank
Progress
Raptor2099
Accepted Solution

I'm probably going to get a 500/512GB SSD from Corsair. They are a bit more expensive than the Samsungs and especially the OCZ and lesser know brands, BUT the most important thing for an SSD in a non Windows OS is garbage collection. Corsair is one of the few brands that still advertises garbage collection as a feature. Since I doubt Sony has setup the PS4 to work with SSDs like Windows does, TRIM, I think garbage collection will be important again. (basically GC just clears deleted sectors so the SSD continues to perform at it's best) I used one in my PS3 and will continue with the PS4. Unfortunately my PS3 one is only 256 GB so I'll be getting a 512 GB one for the PS4.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Tanden_Stoker

96%
03 Rank
Progress
Tanden_Stoker
Accepted Solution
You seem to know alot bout this subject. You think the ps4 will gain from an ssd or even an sshd like the ps3 did?

I was thinking of getting a 1tb sshd :)
0 Kudos

Join up at: www.grumpyoldgamers.co.uk
 photo goggif_zpsfae0e952.gif

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

misterck

91%
09 Rank
Progress
misterck
Accepted Solution

The fact that Sata II is now being used as oppose to PS3's sata I means that SSD's may give a positive degree of performance but beware that if using disc based games due to the amount of caching of data going on this could seriously affect the longevity of an SSD.

In fact this may be the same for folk going digital download only aswell due to Playgo feature

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Raptor2099

34%
02 Rank
Progress
Raptor2099
Accepted Solution

I'm hopeful that the PS4 will see a decent performance increase with an SSD just like the PS3 did. I of course don't know for sure just yet, but what I DO know is that the PS4 probably doesn't support TRIM so whatever SSD you purchase needs to have some sort of garbage collection/TRIM type operation built into it's controller and firmware otherwise performance will slowly decrease overtime. Very slowly mind you but it WILL lose performance. I believe, currently, I'm going with the Corsair Neutron or the Samsung EVO, just need to do some resaerch on the EVO's controller and if it works without OS instructions. The EVO fyi is cheaper too so if it does, that's the way to go if you're going 1TB. The EVO 500GB is $339 on Newegg so that's a super deal IMO. Neutron 500GB is $379

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

tmcd35

80%
02 Rank
Progress
tmcd35
Accepted Solution
I'd hold off before buying a SSD or SSHD. It appears we nay have overlooked something obvious that nay effect that decision. Was reading The Register earlier today when it hit me - the PS4 will ve constantly writing to the hard drive in game with the 15min recording. Not sure what the status is with SSD/SSHD for that kind of constant recording.

Adding 15min recording to 30gb+ downloads (or BD caching) and no required instant play, I'd begenning to think 1tb is a required minimum!
0 Kudos

----
Blog: http://consolegamer.me

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

bringmeflowers

88%
04 Rank
Progress
bringmeflowers
Accepted Solution

When I built my gaming rig it was when ssd was becoming popular and I thought about it long and hard because of the price.

Back then people used them for loading times only so what they did was install windows in it and main programs they used.

My main issue was that steam wouldn't allow you to put the games on a sperate drive and was a mess if ever I had to format.

Using a ssd in a ps4 is saying you know for a fact that the loading times will be slow without even trying it.

Compare the ps3 to the ps4 and that speaks how fast it should be.

I have always bought Hitachi for my pc without any issues (got 3 of them)

I'm also using an external 1tb which is WD element (had it for years without any issues)

Hitachi and western digital is where I will be looking.

Ssd for the price is far from a default HDD because if the price was cheap enough I'd be using them in my pc

HDD 1tb around £50 vs ssd 1tb around £400.

No HDD is perfect but yo do get better brands than others.

My advice (if you none of the above take your fancy) is to find a a benchmark for all 1tb HDDs.

Samsung and western digital are two of the best laptop HDDs which you should be looking towards and remember going above 5400rpm will generate heat and sound and that's why laptops use 5400s.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

SAiLO

92%
03 Rank
Progress
SAiLO
Accepted Solution
It's best to wait a few weeks until someone actually puts it to test in a PS4. No point buying a SSD to have negligible performance gains.
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Raptor2099

34%
02 Rank
Progress
Raptor2099
Accepted Solution

I'll be putting up some comparison videos on Youtube with one of my spare SSDs. (yes I have spares)

I'll post my results here and we can all see how it works. My spares are Agility 3 drives, which are really fast but have bare bones chipsets so no on chip GC or TRiM like functions, so not good long term but great to test. See you all after launch.

0 Kudos

View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel