Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post

Long time Sony fanboy skipping PS4

[ Edited ]
39 Replies 1,850 Views edited 17-11-2012

PSN - Pricing, EU availability

Remember when I bought the PS3. It was when the slim had just been released and I just longed to play Wipeout HD Fury. Though I noticed instantly that Wipeout was more expensive on PSN so I bought the physical copy.

The next game I just had to buy was Vandal Hearts - Flames of judgement. Well It was said that it should be released that September but nope. I waited and waited and waited and read all the PSN blog updates. Nope nothing. I have a memory that it came out that autumn for the xbox but we stuck with a PS3 had to wait until March. What the heck! (after a wiki search, it was end of January but still a month and a half before PSN)

Last year - Dungeon defenders. Got released on Steam. I waited because I wanted it for the PS3 with it's controller. Well the Xbox version was released in EU but not the PSN. Got angry and "spammed" the blog for any news. -QA, QA. Sorry we don't have any information on that one right now. What the heck! Bought it on Steam and connected my Dualshock.

Dead island and Borderlands GOTY editions are cheaper than only the game, ehm??

Community, browser

Is it so hard to make us log in from the PS3 system and browse the EU playstation site WITHOUT using the built in browser. Usb keyboard have been available for ages so there is no need to buy the ultra deluxe mini micro keyboard for the controller. Right now the system is really lacking the "community" feeling with just friends and PM's.

How come the browser hasn't got a single update since the system was released?? It's horrible and everybody knows it. Drop the Playstation homeand use some resources to something that we actually can have some use of.

PSN store

Why the heck can't Sony add a simple code to the download history so we could clean all the year old demos and other useless stuff from the list. It's horrible to scroll through it and try to find what you have bought. I have a bigger and faster HDD installed now but I don't want to have everything installed all the time anyway. Takes up too much room.

I have seen petitions for this simple little addition years ago but still nothing has been done to the list. WHY?? What's so impossible? Haven't used the store since it got renewed but to my understanding it didn't got any better. So the development have been used to make something even less user friendly. Great!

Have waited for years for the promised video store to come to the Nordic countries. Didn't really think Netflix was gonna be here faster though. Well I guess Neflix is better then the PSN video store but why does it always hase to take so extremely long time for SCEE to get something done. Yes we have lot's of different laws here in EU but that hasn't stopped Xbox market place has it?

PsOne Classics, Imports

Okay so Alundra finally came to EU. Don't wanna know how long that took. But where is Castlevania - Symphony of the night? Probably drowned in the Atlantic ocean a few years back.

Why is it so extremely hard for the PsOne Classics to come to EU? How long did we have to wait for FFIX and Vagrant story?

Wipeout 2097 is there on the US store. Why can't they get it here? It's developed in Liverpool!!!

Why can't they just import FF Tactics right away. Nope not possible. Since it was never released in the EU first time around then it's really impossible right now. That's just ridiculous.

Vandal hearts and Vandal hearts II probably won't never see the light on PSN. I know that we turn based strategists are a minority but wouldn't PSN just need to have more games? Right now it's just full with PsOne Classic sports games from 99. Or some crappy Donald duck racing game or whatever. Who buys those games? They can't sell better than a fine TBS game like Vandal Hearts. Well yes they can, because they are there on the store. I'm seeing red soon.

How come the Xbox market place is so widely available? What do they do differently?

PS2 Classics

We have seen how easy it was to release God Of War collection so why can't we see more great games from the great PS2? I miss Shadow hearts 1 & 2 and would instantly buy them if they were available on PSN. Doesn't have to be remastered. A little better resolution would just do it.

Same with Dark Cloud 1 & 2. Would buy them instantly. Well for the right price of course. And seeing how the prices are on PSN I don't know. Okay it's hard to tell since they haven't been re-released.

Suikoden tactics, Wipeout fusion, Baldurs gate - dark alliance. The PS2 really was a great system but why can't Sony release those games for us since they scrapped the backwards compatibility. Okay so we got Resident evil 4. But last time I checked it was like 30€ and that's nothing I'm gonna pay for an old game. Will buy it though when I get's cheaper (seems to be 20€ atm, same as Resident Evil 5. Hmm I don't know). We have been promised FFX and FFXII so that's great and I have to say that no matter how much FFXII costs I'm gonna buy it since I never did complete it.

Physical games

XCOM - Enemy Unknown. Okay so I though which one to buy. PC or Ps3. After a little study; PC = better graphics, 10€ cheaper and both versions can be played with the Dual shock. You guessed right. I bought for the PC.

Kingdoms of Amalur. Should have done the same with it and bought it for PC since it was playable with a controller also. But didn't because I wanted the trophies for my PS3 collection. Bad choice. 10€ more expensive. Patches came delayed.

Borderlands. Same as KoA. Should have bought it for the PC but wanted the Trophies.

Just recently I bought Port Royale for PS3 but that was just because I played it on PC in the spring and the trading UI was just too small on my 42" TV in 1920x1080. So I had to wait for the PS3 version but I guess it could be one of the last time I buy a multiplatform game for this annoying Sony system.

The controller

Yes it's a good controller but you know my hands have grown bigger since I used the PSX controller 12 years ago. I have never played an Xbox because of my "Sony fanboyism" but the controller just looks comfortable. Okay the D-pad looks crap but the ergonomics of the controller is just something Sony should look at.

And yes, I have searched the net for a good third party controller. Read lot's and lot's of reviews and at one time I was close to buying a Nyko Raven but then I got turned of by the crappy buttons. Found the Gioteck HF-1. Bought it instantly. Too bad. Horrible deadzones and terrible buttons. The ergonomics was good though. The HF-2 came with flashable software for the deadzones but I didn't want to buy the same controller again. Okay it's really nice to hold in your hands and the Bluetooth is a great addition but it could have been better. Wasn't so expensive though.

Right now I'm waiting for the HC-1. But it seems like it wont be released and just the GC-1. Well if it turns out it's better than the HF-1 then I will buy it. Time will tell.

Game development and Bethesda

Why oh why did Sony go with this development architecture? Yes lot's of first party devs have utilized the PS3 extremely well but that's just enough. The system has to be easily available to all the devs so no one get's turned off by the restricted hardware and big learning curve. I really hope Sony have learnt from this gens mistake when they chose the PS4's dev architecture.

I was a big fan of Fallout 1 & 2 and even tactics so I was a bit skeptic when Fallout 3 came out. But seeing my friend play it one time I just had to try it. The GOTY had just got released so I though it was nice to get all the DLC included. BIG FAIL! The game was amazing but the longer you advanced the longer the loading times became and the more frequent the game either locked or crashed. Some DLC like the Pit was easier for the system but overall it got so terrible that I never could complete the game. Okay you could log out from PSN and turn off the autosave to gain some fps but it didn't help in the long run. Learnt from forum reading that the Initial version wasn't bugged that much but I was ***** off and didn't want to buy the game again. And the GOTY never got any patches. The games was dead.

So came New Vegas and since Bethesda wasn't developing it and I wanted my trophies I bought it for the PS3. Sigh! Same as with Fallout 3. It got so terribly bugged that I could not finish the game. Okay this time around there came some patches that fixed it in some way but you had to start from a fresh install with a new save to get the most of it. I tried it one time though but when I saw the bugged invisible mutant (too long ago so I have forgot their name) standing outside of Novac I just lost faith.

And why the heck did I go and buy Skyrim for the PS3? It was developed on the glorious fallout 3 engine but Bethesda had promised lot's of performance improvements. Well, bull-*****. We all saw that after release. Still to this date no DLC cause the engine just can't handle the PS3.

Conclusion

This all is just too much for me. I'm not going to buy my forth Sony console. I thought I was staying but I've changed my mind after seeing how the PS3 failed. Not sure though if I should go for the Xbox or just stick with the PC. More and more games are available for PC with controller support and since almost all games on Xbox comes to PC then probably it would be better to just skip the consoles.

EDIT:formatting, included video store

LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel
Award Winner
/16

THE_FORCE

• Award Winner
99%
12 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
THE_FORCE
Accepted Solution
Alternate fonts on an OP should send alarm bells ringing. Wise up y'all.
0 Kudos

Re: Long time Sony fanboy skipping PS4

/16

vildajankovsky9

23%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
vildajankovsky9
Accepted Solution

I hope in 2015,2016,because i have got ps3 at home,only 2 moths. So,when it will be in stores?

Vilem

0 Kudos

When will be PS4 in stores?

/16

Keifski

92%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Keifski
Accepted Solution

How many times have we seen a post like this on these boards ... If you think the grass is greener on the other side then fine ... when your xbox 720 blows up in your face dont come crying to us.... I take your point about america getting more stuff then us and quicker but realistically that is where the market is and the place where their going to make the most money along with Japan, so it makes buisness sense. If you want to play a pson / ps2 game ... go buy a cheap ps2 somewhere or wait and see if their is a HD version. 

0 Kudos

Re: When will be PS4 in stores?

Award Winner
/16

shanethegooner

• Award Winner
94%
09 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
shanethegooner
Accepted Solution

Keifski wrote:

How many times have we seen a post like this on these boards ... If you think the grass is greener on the other side then fine ... when your xbox 720 blows up in your face dont come crying to us.... 

Not that often actually but I've seen plently of posts like yours.

0 Kudos

/16

Reidzer-1314

96%
07 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Reidzer-1314
Accepted Solution

Well I hope you do not decide to skip PS4 in the end OP but do what you need to mate.

Myself on the other, I will be all over PS4 when it comes out :BigGrin:

Award Winner
/16

THE_FORCE

• Award Winner
99%
12 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
THE_FORCE
Accepted Solution

Reidzer-1314 wrote:

Well I hope you do not decide to skip PS4 in the end OP but do what you need to mate.

Myself on the other, I will be all over PS4 when it comes out :BigGrin:

Same here. Like a rash!

0 Kudos

MVP
/16

castaway666

• MVP
96%
14 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
castaway666
Accepted Solution
Loud Noises!

I'll wait and see what next consoles look like, I wouldn't call them next-gen, more like This Gen+.

I've swapped so many consoles over the years I've never limited myself to a brand.

Still, I'm keeping back a few hundred bones incase it's released before Xmas.
0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

ytevo79

• Beta Tester
99%
10 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
ytevo79
Accepted Solution

castaway666 wrote:
I'll wait and see what next consoles look like, I wouldn't call them next-gen, more like This Gen+.

But its been like that with every generation, each one has a less graphical improvements over the last. And graphics aren't everything you should know that :p

What is noticeable is the power, the extra detail and the amount of on screen action that we'll see :)

Its 8 - 10 times more powerful then PS3, how is that not next gen?

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
MVP
/16

castaway666

• MVP
96%
14 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
castaway666
Accepted Solution
But the jump from Xbox/360, and PS2/3 was pretty much greater in terms of visuals - SD content to HD, yes this is going to look better because of the more brute force behind it.

As it is using the same media as the PS3, It'll be interesting to see which games are not able to port to the earlier platforms aswell as those which are available to see the graphical differences.
0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

ytevo79

• Beta Tester
99%
10 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
ytevo79
Accepted Solution

castaway666 wrote:
But the jump from Xbox/360, and PS2/3 was pretty much greater in terms of visuals - SD content to HD, yes this is going to look better because of the more brute force behind it.

Yes, that's what I said. The graphical jump is less and less with each new generation.

PS to PS2 was even greater then what PS2 to PS3 was.

0 Kudos

/16

Reidzer-1314

96%
07 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Reidzer-1314
Accepted Solution

Regardless of what the jump in terms of power or graphics may be, the fact remains......Killzone 4 looked stunning! If thats not am improvement on this gen then I just dont know.

0 Kudos

/16

TheMiitch

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
TheMiitch
Accepted Solution

There will of course be some diminishing returns but I think it's being overstated here.

We're comparing the first round of PS4 games running on early non-final devkits to the second/third round of PS3 games running on and optimised for final hardware.

Go back and look at some of the early PS3 games such as Resistance: FOM etc; they're pretty much HD PS2 games with a few bells and whistles.

Compare early PS2 games to God Of War II, compare early PS3 games to Uncharted 2/3 etc.

The hardware stays the same but the software and tools, the talent and experience, the resources; they all evolve and become massively optimised.

Also, what we're not seeing in these compressed videos is the increase in resolution and the more stable performance. That's about 2.5x the power (compared to current gen consoles) which is being taken up there; and that's something we're not going to see and reap the benefits of until they're on our TV screens being played.

0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

ytevo79

• Beta Tester
99%
10 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
ytevo79
Accepted Solution
But surely with PS4 being a much simpler PC architecture, then wont devs just be able to almost jump straight in with them not having to get to grips like they did with CELL?

0 Kudos

/16

TheMiitch

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
TheMiitch
Accepted Solution

ytevo79 wrote:
But surely with PS4 being a much simpler PC architecture, then wont devs just be able to almost jump straight in with them not having to get to grips like they did with CELL?

I think we're going to see more technically proficient games sooner, but there's always room to optimise and I have little doubt we're still going to see considerable improvements.

Also, while the PS4 is certainly more PC-like, it's not just a PC architecture like many are touting it to be; there is still a lot of stuff going on that differs it considerably from a PC..

It isn't just a PC in a box; an 8 Core tablet/netbook CPU and an underclocked AMD 7850 with extra cores and a pile of RAM--as some would say. While it runs on an x86 platform the configuration is very different to a traditional PC platform. Sure most of the tech will make its way to PC in some years but an APU with a 7850+ type GPU on it isn't going to happen for some time on PC. 

Devs will have some quirkiness to get to grips with such as the HSA (Heterogeneous System Architecture) capabilities of the system. Handing CPU tasks off to the GPU. And much more.

..but aside from that, like any console, it's a closed box, a fixed specifcation; that's one of the main advantages; PC development means developing for a massive range of constantly evolving hardware while console development means spending years with the same hardware spec/s and getting to know it inside out and optimising for it.

I think we're going to see stronger performance and image quality quicker and leveraging the power will be easier from the start; but things will always be able to improve. Devs will certainly be hitting the ground running as opposed to reading a bunch of manuals just to render a polygon like they had to with the PS3.

Though, we do bash the CELL a lot, it was very forward thinking and Sony actually had the right idea technically speaking; but it was just ahead of its time and not very business savvy. Ironically, CELL by itself actually has a lot in common with the overall idea of the full PS4 system with HSA and such.

I'm going off on a tangent here, but....I wouldn't be surprised if experience with the CELL will help developers in the way they approach tasks on PS4 when they get down to the nitty and optimise their software for the highly integrated, co-operative nature of the PS4 as a whole. We'll likely see first party devs using the CPU mostly to hand off tasks both CPU/GPGPU (Compute) and GPU (Render) in nature to the many compute units and subsequent cores of the GPU.

There's a lot more to this system than meets the eyes; and when you mix official info released by Sony and rumours from reputable sources; it looks like Sony and AMD are pushing very hard for this approach.

HSA

/16

Plugpin

94%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Plugpin
Accepted Solution

TheMiitch wrote:

We're comparing the first round of PS4 games running on early non-final devkits to the second/third round of PS3 games running on and optimised for final hardware.

Go back and look at some of the early PS3 games such as Resistance: FOM etc; they're pretty much HD PS2 games with a few bells and whistles.

Funny you should mention that, was on GTA IV online the other night with friends and it looks so dated. The sands of time have not been kind lol.

I'm not sure what this thread is, looks like a couple combined or something as it changed a bit midway. Seems like a cry for help from the OP though, like they want us to change their mind or something like that? No other reason to share why you're moving on unless you want people to challenge you. The majority here sure as hell weren't going to slap you on the back with an affirming 'go get 'em kid!' 

Each to their own though and if anyone wants to skip the PS4 or move over to the Xbox or just drop gaming altogether then fair enough its no skin off my nose. I've been quite happy with the online service from Sony myself, it was free after all. 

0 Kudos

SPLITTERS!!JOIN THE REVOLUCION
Beta Tester
/16

ytevo79

• Beta Tester
99%
10 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
ytevo79
Accepted Solution
Wow!

I can't believe this guy knew it was called PS4 last November before it had even been announced :o

0 Kudos

Award Winner
/16

shanethegooner

• Award Winner
94%
09 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
shanethegooner
Accepted Solution

ytevo79 wrote:
Wow!

I can't believe this guy knew it was called PS4 last November before it had even been announced :o

Not sure if serious.

:p

0 Kudos

/16

Carl-G

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Carl-G
Accepted Solution

The only thing that has spoiled this Gen for me is the internet Moaners really, sorry to say :-/

/16

ThomasakaDes

88%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
ThomasakaDes
Accepted Solution

I noticed you've mentioned Suikoden, and why they can't import those kinds of gamesto our store.
I'm still waiting for Suikoden 1 to come on the EU store. They have it on the NA store, so why the heck isn't it on EU store?!

About the controller part:

I've actually thought that the PS3 controller has felt a little odd at times :P

Like it was too small for my small hands hehe.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel