The_KELRaTH

84%
02 Rank
Progress

PS4 Dedicated Servers

33 Replies 5,179 Views Created 23-08-2013
23 Aug 2013
By The_KELRaTH

Today I read an article that referred to various games including CoD on X1 having dedicated servers, (as on 360), but the PS4 will not.

Personally I find the lack of decicated servers on PS3 very frustrating and would be surprised if this were to continue onto the PS4.

I had thought that the point of paying for a PS4 online subscription!

0 Kudos
LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

dazbobaby

• Beta Tester
93%
05 Rank
Progress
dazbobaby
Accepted Solution

You pay the subscription for PS+ on the PS4 to play online, you're not paying for dedicated game servers. Basically you're paying Sony for the priveledge. Just like XBox Gold.

The servers that there are are paid for by buying the games.

CoD doesn't need dedicated servers P2P is fine (most of the time), however they would be a nice feature.

0 Kudos

Re: PS4 Dedicated Servers

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Semaphia

97%
10 Rank
Progress
Semaphia
Accepted Solution

dazbobaby wrote:

You pay the subscription for PS+ on the PS4 to play online, you're not paying for dedicated game servers. Basically you're paying Sony for the priveledge. Just like XBox Gold.

CoD doesn't need dedicated servers P2P is fine (most of the time), however they would be a nice feature.

While I agree that you're paying Sony for nothing other than the priveledge, I still think they should look into dedicated server support. MS are actually hosting dedicated servers for ALL multiplayer games.

Multiplatform games are going to be so close visuals wise (extra power or not, devs are lazy). It's really looking like Xbox One will be the place to play third party titles.

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

JynXten

• Beta Tester
93%
09 Rank
Progress
JynXten
Accepted Solution

In fairness the amount of money Activision make off COD they should've had dedicated servers a long time ago.

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

jeves111

96%
03 Rank
Progress
jeves111
Accepted Solution

i do feel im gonna be ripped off a bit huge games like CoD really should have dedicated servers as it is in a lot of case the most played game for many playstation owners

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Semaphia

97%
10 Rank
Progress
Semaphia
Accepted Solution
Agreed with JynXten. The PC version of MW actually had dedicated servers, but they removed it for MW2... Good job they were modded back in lol.

Jeves, true enough.
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

dazbobaby

• Beta Tester
93%
05 Rank
Progress
dazbobaby
Accepted Solution

Semaphia wrote:

dazbobaby wrote:

While I agree that you're paying Sony for nothing other than the priveledge, I still think they should look into dedicated server support. MS are actually hosting dedicated servers for ALL multiplayer games.

Multiplatform games are going to be so close visuals wise (extra power or not, devs are lazy). It's really looking like Xbox One will be the place to play third party titles.

But it's not Sony's job to provide servers for every game, it's the game developers/publishers who should prive the service.

I won't argue that games like CoD should have them, almost all other games do have them.

I just don't think Sony should have to provide dedicated servers.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Semaphia

97%
10 Rank
Progress
Semaphia
Accepted Solution
Well, if they're competing for our money, they should at least try and rival what the other big company is doing for our £40 a year.
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

dazbobaby

• Beta Tester
93%
05 Rank
Progress
dazbobaby
Accepted Solution

I haven't seen any information saying that Microsoft will host dedicated game servers, but imagine 2 years down the line when there's 200+ games out in circulation, that would be tens of thousands of different servers for different games.

The cost would be astronomical, and the more players per single server the more it costs.

Battlefield 4 for the PS4 will support 64 players, so £45 per month for hundreds of servers for this one game.

£45x100=£4500 for one hundred servers per month

£4500x5=£22,500 per month for 500 servers.

These would just about cover the EU

12 months of servers would be £270,000

£270,000 for EU servers just to play one game for 12 months.

I say let Microsoft host game servers, they'd be bled dry before the next console cycle is done.

I'm sure Microsoft won't be paying retail prices, but it's still a money pit when you add more and more games to the equation.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Semaphia

97%
10 Rank
Progress
Semaphia
Accepted Solution
How many copies will Battlefield sell? Royalties on PS3/Xbox 360 games are estimated to be 10%, so why don't you factor in the number of people who will buy Battlefield, times it buy the £54.99 RRP, and divide it by ten.

Battlefield 3 sold 5 million copies in a week. Let's say that was at an average of £40 per copy... That's £200,000,000 - £20,000,000 for Microsoft.
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

CrustyJockStrap

91%
10 Rank
Progress
CrustyJockStrap
Accepted Solution

my only problem with dedicated servers as EA have proved is when they get shut down even when they are still heavly used

0 Kudos

Below is a Signature

Sony are stabbing their loyal family customers in the back - We have 3 PS3s and 3 PSPs all on the same IP address and all registered with Sony. Why can't we use them at the same time anymore?

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

dazbobaby

• Beta Tester
93%
05 Rank
Progress
dazbobaby
Accepted Solution

Semaphia wrote:
How many copies will Battlefield sell? Royalties on PS3/Xbox 360 games are estimated to be 10%, so why don't you factor in the number of people who will buy Battlefield, times it buy the £54.99 RRP, and divide it by ten.

Battlefield 3 sold 5 million copies in a week. Let's say that was at an average of £40 per copy... That's £200,000,000 - £20,000,000 for Microsoft.

The £200,000,000 you're on about is the final retail value.

Doesn't the developer, publisher, retailer, distributor and tax man make any money?

The retailer generally takes 30% per sale of the final RRP, then the publisher will take 70% of the remainder, of the remaining 30% Microsoft/Sony will take publishing rights/licence, the rest goes to distribution.

Microsoft and Sony will only get at the VERY most £10 per copy sold. Out of that you're saying they need to pay for servers for 2+ years? It's just not feasible.

What shold happen is the same as BF3, there are free servers and there are rented servers.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Semaphia

97%
10 Rank
Progress
Semaphia
Accepted Solution

dazbobaby wrote:

Semaphia wrote:

Doesn't the developer, publisher, retailer, distributor and tax man make any money?

The retailer generally takes 30% per sale of the final RRP, then the publisher will take 70% of the remainder, of the remaining 30% Microsoft/Sony will take publishing rights/licence, the rest goes to distribution.

Microsoft and Sony will only get at the VERY most £10 per copy sold. Out of that you're saying they need to pay for servers for 2+ years? It's just not feasible.

What shold happen is the same as BF3, there are free servers and there are rented servers.

£50,000,000 in one week of sales isn't enough to fund servers for a while?

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

dazbobaby

• Beta Tester
93%
05 Rank
Progress
dazbobaby
Accepted Solution

Semaphia wrote:

dazbobaby wrote:

Semaphia wrote:

£50,000,000 in one week of sales isn't enough to fund servers for a while?

It wouldn't eve cover the cost of building a data center let alone the hardware to play on. Then there's the people to maintain them, then the cost of the actual data lines and electricity bills.

Then each server might have to have it's own operating system that is dependent on the game it's running.

No it's not Sony's perogative to supply the servers, it's the publishers.

Not forgetting that £50,000,000 is the TOP END figure (it's probably closer to £30,000,000), and that has to be split between Microsoft and Sony.

Sure you might only need one data centre per teritory, but that still leaves multiple data centres to be built and populated.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Semaphia

97%
10 Rank
Progress
Semaphia
Accepted Solution
Fair enough. But MS seem to be doing it anyway... They've earned around $4.8bn I believe it was from Xbox Live membership over the past ten years, and are now giving gamers something in return.

If Sony can't compete, I don't see why I'd buy my third party multiplayer titles on the PS4. (Hell, I'd buy them on my PC before the Xbox, but you get the point) :p Maybe it is too good to be true... We'll see.
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
MVP
/16

mont348

• MVP
99%
12 Rank
Progress
mont348
Accepted Solution

Semaphia wrote:
Fair enough. But MS seem to be doing it anyway... They've earned around $4.8bn I believe it was from Xbox Live membership over the past ten years, and are now giving gamers something in return.

If Sony can't compete, I don't see why I'd buy my third party multiplayer titles on the PS4. (Hell, I'd buy them on my PC before the Xbox, but you get the point) :p Maybe it is too good to be true... We'll see.

From what I have read recently MS will be offering dedicated servers to multiplatform developers not supplying them as a given. It'll be up to the developers to take up the offered servers for a fee it's just MS's usual play on words. It'll end with COD staying on P2P and EA using their own dedicated and P2P offerimgs can't see either paying MS hosting fees. 

Hopefully a year or two most of the world will have decent superfast internet connections so P2P shouldn't be an issue, the UK alone currently has around 75% superfast coverage whilst BT's rolling out infrastructure upgrades then you have cable suppliers on top. The way I see if people want reliable connections upgrade their connections when they can do so rather than lagging the guys out on decent connections.

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

The_KELRaTH

84%
02 Rank
Progress
The_KELRaTH
Accepted Solution

I don't know where all these crazy server figures come from but to rent a seat for BF3 and most online games on PC is about £1.00 - £1.60 per month!

And it gets cheaper if you rent a game server i.e. 64 player BF3 server is around £44 per month so less than 0.70p per month (that's not the cheapest by far too)!!!

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

DiscipleOvHell

21%
02 Rank
Progress
DiscipleOvHell
Accepted Solution

just thought I'd throw into this conversation that Microsoft has so many servers available because they are using the actual microsoft corporation cloud system. It isn't a separated set of 300,000 servers just for gamers. I heard recently that sony and microsoft are actually losing money on their current console stuff, so for microsoft to put so much money into separate servers wouldn't make sense, especially considering the consumer backlash theyve recieved. plus, thats probably why sony isn't going to have a huge amount of servers, theyre just gonna stick with whats effectively worked. 

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

utio

• Beta Tester
100%
16 Rank
Progress
utio
Accepted Solution
Not sure you know how much money Microsoft has.
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

utio

• Beta Tester
100%
16 Rank
Progress
utio
Accepted Solution
Yeah, that's a good point. Look at mag and buzz getting shut down too.
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Semaphia

97%
10 Rank
Progress
Semaphia
Accepted Solution
To be fair, both of those games were several years old, and not very popular online. Could someone even host a 256 player MAG match if it were p2p?

As it stands, I don't see why anyone would buy multiplayer cross platform games on PS4, unless it was the only system they owned.
0 Kudos

View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel