04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post

What is lacking for Sony Ps4 console

[ Edited ]
26 Replies 747 Views edited 27-06-2013
After playing on PC (steam) and booting up my ps3 console from its cover for a spin (like starting a car), my head just realised something...

I had about 45GB - 80GB of digital PS3 game contents that I can't backup individualy like STEAM does. So, the fact is, how the HELL ON EARTH can someone let their console run days and night just to download everything again? That is suicidal for a console. Imagine racing for 100 laps, you will get beat to a pulp.

In future, I would suggest Sony implement individual game backup to external HDD like STEAM! It's insane to download everything again and wasting precious bandwidth / time!

Entire system backup is a lot more crazy! That is out of the question. Because, there will always be gamers who just wants to backup their digital games instead of the entire system. Why? It save time, electricity bills (running all day and night for a single 16GB file size) and easier to put back if the HDD went ca-hoots.
0 Kudos
LABELS:
-------------------------------------------
Lair360 Product Reviews, Unboxing & Tutorials: Click Here
My Youtube Channel: Click Here
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel
Beta Tester
/16

Nakatsu_Hime

• Beta Tester
93%
06 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Nakatsu_Hime
Accepted Solution
The PS4 will allow you to begin playing whilst the game is downloading, so that will be a help. Also, not everyone wants EVERY game on their system, just in case (some do I'm sure).

I, for one, have a much easier solution. I'm going to continue buying my games on old-fashioned discs.

Re: What is lacking for Sony Ps4 console

/16

Semaphia

97%
10 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Semaphia
Accepted Solution
Doesn't really help people with download limits though, does it? :(
0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

MadforitUK

• Beta Tester
98%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
MadforitUK
Accepted Solution

The PS4 is only going to stream content that is available for th PS3 when the Gaikai system is launched after the release of the PS4 as it will not have the infustructure to play PS3 content.

Those that don't have a large capaicty for downloads would be better off keeping their PS3s then. 

0 Kudos

/16
99%
07 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
PermanentlyAngry
Accepted Solution

Firstly I can back-up my entire PS3 HDD content to an external HDD for restore settings. You have to have that function if you allow eople to change the HDD. So HDD back up isn't missing from the PS3. What is missing though is being able to launch digital games from external HDD... and... I sorta agree with you on that score. I'd like to be able to see external HDD's being usful as extra storage as well. I think th eXbox One was going to have that feature when it was always on, there is now a question as to whether that is still the case. We don't know, but one would have to assume for piracy concerns alone that feature might not come to either system. Frustrating, but there it is.

/16

lair360

88%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
lair360
Accepted Solution
First of all, all downloaded contents from PS store are locked to the owner's account. It a lot simpler to create an infrastructure when you plug in your external HDD and backup the game like Steam. Heck, if Sony is SO clever, why don't they implement something on the PS4 for gamers to reformat their external HDD, so it doesn't get use for other things and locks itself away from PC?

Sony should look at Steam backup structure for once and see what can be done! PC players can backup 4gb file - 20gb without re-downloading! That is a life saver!

Backing up the entire system, you got to be joking...

340gb contents? Get a cofe or energy drink... You will be waiting for your life. Even worse, some games doesn't work if you do a restore, which means.... Download... LOL

FAIL FAIL FAIL
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
-------------------------------------------
Lair360 Product Reviews, Unboxing & Tutorials: Click Here
My Youtube Channel: Click Here
/16
99%
07 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
PermanentlyAngry
Accepted Solution

lair360 wrote:
First of all, all downloaded contents from PS store are locked to the owner's account. It a lot simpler to create an infrastructure when you plug in your external HDD and backup the game like Steam. Heck, if Sony is SO clever, why don't they implement something on the PS4 for gamers to reformat their external HDD, so it doesn't get use for other things and locks itself away from PC?

Sony should look at Steam backup structure for once and see what can be done! PC players can backup 4gb file - 20gb without re-downloading! That is a life saver!

Backing up the entire system, you got to be joking...

340gb contents? Get a cofe or energy drink... You will be waiting for your life. Even worse, some games doesn't work if you do a restore, which means.... Download... LOL

FAIL FAIL FAIL

I'll go check when I'm back in front of my PS3, but I'm sure I have actually backed up digital downloads of single games in the past on PS3. Although that was prior to the other OS being removed. So maybe they took that feature away as well. I'll update when I get the chance to check it out. I do periodically though back up my PS3 while I'm out of the house and my PS3 would be idle. If they could have a feature whereby your PS4 periodically backed itself up to an external HDD though while it was switched off / in low energy mode, that'd be handy. THat's a feature on PC's and Mac's... so why not consoles?

0 Kudos

Award Winner
/16

hayzink

• Award Winner
98%
15 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
hayzink
Accepted Solution
All I want is the ability to install and play games from external hdd.

I currently have 2 1tb drives and 1 500gb drive all USB 3.0 that I'd love to use for games on my ps3 but can't so would like this for ps4.

I guess i would have to use a ps4 specific format to use them this way so that a PC would not be ble to copy the files( i know people would find work arounds but we can't all lose features due to pirates).

Please make this an option as i see 1tb internal drives still filling up fast as plus on ps4 goes into full steam
0 Kudos

/16

born2destroy

95%
07 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
born2destroy
Accepted Solution
A 500gb HDD should be big enough for a good number of downloadable games etc however it would be a great feature to be able to back them up to an external HDD, it's something i have never really thought about. Currently on the PS3 i have a back up saved to an external HDD so i can restore all my files but updating that would take a few hours on its own
0 Kudos

/16

mh637099

80%
08 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
mh637099
Accepted Solution

hayzink wrote:
All I want is the ability to install and play games from external hdd.

I currently have 2 1tb drives and 1 500gb drive all USB 3.0 that I'd love to use for games on my ps3 but can't so would like this for ps4.

I guess i would have to use a ps4 specific format to use them this way so that a PC would not be ble to copy the files( i know people would find work arounds but we can't all lose features due to pirates).

Please make this an option as i see 1tb internal drives still filling up fast as plus on ps4 goes into full steam

That's not possible due to piracy.

0 Kudos

/16

rider1

90%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
rider1
Accepted Solution
Before the DRM issue with Xbox One, Xbox One allows external hard drives to install your games, videos, music etc. I still think Xbox One will allow game installs to external hard drive but a disc is required in the drive to run the games. Xbox Live games, videos, music etc. I still think External drives can be used on Xbox One as you can not replace the hard drive in the console. So expandable storage is required. It really depends on what Sony does with the PS4 with external storage.
0 Kudos

/16
99%
07 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
PermanentlyAngry
Accepted Solution

rider1 wrote:
Before the DRM issue with Xbox One, Xbox One allows external hard drives to install your games, videos, music etc. I still think Xbox One will allow game installs to external hard drive but a disc is required in the drive to run the games. Xbox Live games, videos, music etc. I still think External drives can be used on Xbox One as you can not replace the hard drive in the console. So expandable storage is required. It really depends on what Sony does with the PS4 with external storage.

This is the thing though, plonking games on external HDD's and allowing games to launch from them is just opening a horrid can of worms in terms of backdoor cracks for piracy. It's a system weakness in terms of consoles, and I doubt Microsoft will want to allow it now. If they do they'll have a piracy issue within months.

0 Kudos

/16

gtconliki

57%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
gtconliki
Accepted Solution

i'd like to see more games sooner. all the games im after won't be here for 4/5 months and better graphics in the games. i know its a new console and the promise of 4k games was meant to be cool. if it ever arrives.

0 Kudos

/16

rider1

90%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
rider1
Accepted Solution
We will see. At the moment with the 360, you can only used a certain amount of external hard drive space and use flash drives for installing game installs (disc is still required in the disc drive, plus game installs are tied to the console), install your Xbox Live games etc. So it's possible that Microsoft still allow full external hard drive support on Xbox One. All the content will be tied to your Xbox Live account. Nintendo allow external hard drive support on the Wii U for all digital content from their online store.
0 Kudos

/16

viper20221

24%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
viper20221
Accepted Solution

The ps4 console needs to have external support as I for one terabyte hard drive in my console is almost half way full with 9 disc based games. Ranging for 4gbs to 52 gbs. Plus all of the game that sony has given out with my PlayStation membership. With so many more games coming out in the near future that could be anywhere from 18-50gb not incluiding there downloadable content that would be bought with the games I would say within about a year to 2 years my internal hard drive would be full and I would have to delete one of those games every time I wanted to install a new game and that would just get old after a while and then I would have to redownload all the digital downloadable content on top when I wanted to play that game that I just had to delete. With this in in mind and the fact that the Xbox one has just recently given it's users external hard drive support and plays games from the external hard drive flawlessly it would only make sense if Sony would put external hard drive support on the ps4 this would make gaming a little bit more enjoyable for the fact that I don't have to go back in the options uninstall one game and then install another one seeing how every game that you installed no matter what takes up the minimum required space even though it doesn't install full game on the hard drive. I would also like to see Sony add the ability to category games and apps in folders and have  only the most recently used games and apps on the home screen to be played straight away and be able to go into the games and apps folder then choose a game I wanna play can add it to the main screen some what like it is on ps3 other than that I am pretty satisfied with a ps4

0 Kudos

Award Winner
/16

Kermit1970

• Award Winner
100%
16 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Kermit1970
Accepted Solution

The return/enter button on the keyboard is your friend.

/16

SubstanceXBone

90%
06 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
SubstanceXBone
Accepted Solution
I can't understand why the ps4 doesn't make me my daily protein shake :( tut tut Sony.
0 Kudos

Ps4 fanboy
/16

SubstanceXBone

90%
06 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
SubstanceXBone
Accepted Solution
@gtconliki I'd be surprised if you get a decent level of 4k gaming this gen, the consoles are struggling to hit 1080p @ 60fps
0 Kudos

Ps4 fanboy
/16

SubstanceXBone

90%
06 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
SubstanceXBone
Accepted Solution
@PermanentlyAngry would the external hard drive not have to be formatted to the same system as the internal drive? If so what's the problem? Have I missed something here?
0 Kudos

Ps4 fanboy
MVP
/16

Tassie_tiger

• MVP
96%
12 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Tassie_tiger
Accepted Solution

Yep.

The fact that PermanentlyAngry's post is just 2 days shy of being 1 year old.  :smileyvery-happy:

photo rsz_1pizapcom14635560136521_zpstqjza4yf.jpg
MVP
/16

Oran_Gina

• MVP
95%
13 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Oran_Gina
Accepted Solution

Yeah well,...if the PS4 was any good it would have informed viper and subsequent posters that this was a dead thread, it is no more, it has ceased to be..it is, an ex-thread

Bloomin PS4, I mean, you'd expect it to do at least that right out of the box!

:smileywink:

0 Kudos

View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel