20%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post

ps4 3d blu-ray

22 Replies 1,964 Views Created 01-12-2013

Sony please make an update where the ps4 can play 3d blu rays we know it has the ability and the ps3 could do it so it would be a quick and easy patch so please make it happen 

0 Kudos
LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel
/16

OfficerAinsley

24%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
OfficerAinsley
Accepted Solution

2nd this mum wants my old blu-ray player and this is one reason for me comming over from xbox 

0 Kudos

Re: ps4 3d blu-ray

/16

ocelot07

98%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
ocelot07
Accepted Solution

BuckeyeBandit wrote:

Sony please make an update where the ps4 can play 3d blu rays we know it has the ability and the ps3 could do it so it would be a quick and easy patch so please make it happen 

The update is coming but how on earth do you know it's a quick and easy patch

0 Kudos

/16

DrummerMat

94%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
DrummerMat
Accepted Solution
They have stated that this is on the table to be patched in at some point, but the main first focus/push was to make a decent games console, which I believe they have done.
0 Kudos

/16

thewoe

94%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
thewoe
Accepted Solution
If you look under video you will see this: http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y128/BABL/53AA2E81-288B-4321-A5EA-DEB3CAB786B9_zpsgfpg6owd.jpg

Also under the health warnings etc... It says take breaks when viewing 3D video content. So yea, its definitely coming.
0 Kudos

/16

DM4JforLyfe

20%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
DM4JforLyfe
Accepted Solution

Yeah I definitely needed this update like 2 months ago. I got the PS4 because I'm a fan of Playstation, but not being able to play 3d movies is very dissapointing since my PS3 plays them. Now I'm stuck using my ps3 and my ps4 at the same time on one tv. Whats even worse is since I have the original 80gb fat PS3 and its really old now, It sometimes struggles to play the movies and I have to keep restarting the movies to get it to play. This is very embarrasing. Playstation needs to make this right for their loyal gamers like me.

0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

opeth12

• Beta Tester
95%
09 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
opeth12
Accepted Solution
I have 3d tv and i like 3d films but how many 3d blu rays are there? Seems like some people really scrape the barrel for films
0 Kudos

Member of the Driveclub Crew.™
Award Winner
/16

rancidpunk

• Award Winner
98%
13 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
rancidpunk
Accepted Solution
^ Close to 200. I've got around 25 myself without scraping any barrels
0 Kudos

My flickr
Down with nested replies, bring back quoting
/16

UKTony68

60%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
UKTony68
Accepted Solution

Just wondering if there are any updates on this? Still seems odd that my old PS3 can play 3d movies and my shiny new PS4 can't manage it!

0 Kudos

Award Winner
/16

rancidpunk

• Award Winner
98%
13 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
rancidpunk
Accepted Solution
Yes, latest update is consoles make rubbish blu ray players.
0 Kudos

My flickr
Beta Tester
/16

Nakatsu_Hime

• Beta Tester
90%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Nakatsu_Hime
Accepted Solution

rancidpunk wrote:
Yes, latest update is consoles make rubbish blu ray players.

When the PS3 came out, and for a long time afterward, it held its own as a very well respected BD player, by professional reviewer standards.

I've never experienced any issues with The PS4 version, but must admit I've played only about three BD movies on it up to now.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
/16

Riscon

92%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Riscon
Accepted Solution

The PS4 blu ray player is utter junk. I had massive unsolvable lip sync issues. This was with a brand new 42W829 Sony Bravia and Sony STR-DN1050 amp. I got so annoyed I ended up buying a standalone from Sony. Works totally fine...

0 Kudos

/16

ocelot07

98%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
ocelot07
Accepted Solution

BuckeyeBandit wrote:

so it would be a quick and easy patch so please make it happen 

Wrong thread.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Award Winner
/16

rancidpunk

• Award Winner
98%
13 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
rancidpunk
Accepted Solution
@Nakatsu_Hime At launch the PS3 was up there, but standalone players have caught up and overtaken consoles by a long stretch in the years since.

Even just waiting the age it takes a blu-ray to load on a console is worth the separate player, for me.
0 Kudos

My flickr
/16

bazzcooke

84%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
bazzcooke
Accepted Solution

rancidpunk wrote:
@Nakatsu_Hime At launch the PS3 was up there, but standalone players have caught up and overtaken consoles by a long stretch in the years since.

Even just waiting the age it takes a blu-ray to load on a console is worth the separate player, for me.

One thing to bear in mind tho ps4 will recieve updates for the next 5 or 6 years, a stand alone blu ray player wont....... 

Example my samsung home theatre blu ray system, purchased new in 2009, hasnt been updated since july 2010, wont play newest disney releases altho my mates ps3 will.......  

personally i hope they've advanced blu rays a bit and this has stopped happening but its always possible a new blu ray system bought now wont play new releases in 2 years time (note: my approx 20 year old dvd player and my mums ps2 will play the newest dvd's), and in response to loading times admittedly my blu ray player is quite old but it takes a lot longer than my ps4 to load a movie

0 Kudos

Award Winner
/16

rancidpunk

• Award Winner
98%
13 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
rancidpunk
Accepted Solution
Any networked blu-ray player receives fw updates, and all but the budget end have been networked for years.
0 Kudos

My flickr
Beta Tester
/16

Nakatsu_Hime

• Beta Tester
90%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Nakatsu_Hime
Accepted Solution

I don't let the 15 seconds or so any BDs of mine take to load up as sufficient excuse to buy a totally unnecessary standalone BD player.

They play. They look and sound as good as by any other method. Good enough.

0 Kudos

/16

bazzcooke

84%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
bazzcooke
Accepted Solution

rancidpunk wrote:
Any networked blu-ray player receives fw updates, and all but the budget end have been networked for years.

yes, but for how long???   My samsung and my mums samsung blu ray players only had a few firmware updates, the latest one for mine being from july 2010 only 18 months after release of that system then nothing, my mums is the same but due to being released a few months prior to mine the latest fw update is also a few months earlier (mar 2010 i think), a couple of other people i know managed a bit longer with lg and sony i cant remember which was which but think one had updates for around 2 years and one around 2 and half, my point is if you bought a ps4 and also a blu ray player released at the same kinda time as ps4, the blu ray player would stop recieving firmware updates before the ps4

0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

opeth12

• Beta Tester
95%
09 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
opeth12
Accepted Solution
Yeah the ps4 will continue having updates for ages but how many of those will be blu ray related?

3d will be one hopefully and then there will be nothing
0 Kudos

Member of the Driveclub Crew.™
/16

bazzcooke

84%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
bazzcooke
Accepted Solution

opeth12 wrote:
Yeah the ps4 will continue having updates for ages but how many of those will be blu ray related?

3d will be one hopefully and then there will be nothing

interesting point, i cant really comment on this as i have no idea what sony are like regarding updates n general support for there products....... they cant be worse than samsung tho.  As my friends ps3 plays the newest disney ones that neither mine or my mums blu ray players will play i would assume they aint too bad....... only time will tell

0 Kudos

Award Winner
/16

rancidpunk

• Award Winner
98%
13 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
rancidpunk
Accepted Solution
@Nakatsu_Hime If loading times were the only difference then perhaps, but considering you've also got a better quality laser, a quieter player that uses significantly less power with higher quality audio, and a larger range of supported audio and video codecs; it's an absolute no brainer for me.

@bazzcoooke I've never had an issue with the two separate players I've owned (first for over four years). Both had/have updates enough and have never had a problem playing any discs.
0 Kudos

My flickr
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel