09 Jun 2012
Playstation Staff

2 Questions about new Playstation Plus Free Games

10 Replies 19,348 Views Created 09-06-2012

Hi, just 2 quick questions about the new Playstation plus free games feature.

1.  Can you play the games you download without a permanent active Internet connection (e.g. Can you activate it to your Playstation with a net connection then play it offline for a certain amount time, or permanently... tho I doubt permanent is possible :smileyhappy:)

2.     If you keep your subscription active for a year and get lets say 14 games downloaded, then let it slip for a month. When you renew the subscription a month later will you still be able to play previously downloaded games or just the promotion games from that date forward?

Thanks for any responses!

[Offtopic suggestion: please increase the amount of gamesave storage from PS+, even through an extra small subscription. Would have subscribed ages ago if there was 1gb+, 150mb is way too low!]

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11 (19,348 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

Re: 2 Questions about new Playstation Plus Free Games

Once a download has been activated and installed you can play it offline or online, though I ain't sure how long you can play offline without an activate broadband connection for. If you let your subscription lapse and then don't re-new it immediately, then you run the risk of losing any free games permanently.

My PSN Profile

All blank friend requests will be refused.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11 (19,337 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

I had a free 1-month trial version of PS+ that came with my PS3 and downloaded Burnout Paradise. I bought my PS+ 1-year subscription about 6 months after my free trial had expired, as I didn't have much time for playing due to studying, and could still download Burnout again! I'm pretty sure everything stays on your transaction history so you can download again anything anytime. Though it's hard to see why anyone would not want to renew their subscription once they've tried PS+! I think it's the best thing Sony ever did for the PS3 and can't help but wonder why they don't promote it even more aggressively. 

As for the online space I thought exactly the same, but haven't had any problems so far; I have saves for about 30 games backed up online and there's still free space! 

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11 (19,238 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

I think...

Any games purchased free, or discounted, as a PS+ offer periodically require you to log-in to PSN to confirm your PS+ subscription is still active.

I know the PSP does this, and I think it's the case for PS3-based games as well.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11 (18,970 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Playstation Staff

hey hey

When I had the trial an installed game had an expiry date in the info (click triangle)

You will be able to connect and download but your expiry date will be the subscription end date (i think) It would have been amusing to connect the once then never connect to the internet to circumvent the server knowing when your expired.

Use the info to see each games expiry dates. 

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11 (18,959 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Soo when your playstation plus is out do you lose the games you got for free or do you still have them ?? :0 answer  yes if they still there or no if the dont. :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11 (16,673 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

You can play your PS+ games without an internet connection, but you cannot play them when your PS+ subscription has ran out, in other words, the games are on your system, but the licence to play them has expired.

You will need to redownload the games when your subscription starts again.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11 (16,642 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 7

Playstation Staff

You just need to reselect them in the store to reset license, no need to re-download.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11 (16,633 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Hey please let me know...a free downloadable game is of how many gb ??..dose it take too much time on a regular internet connection...plz help me out..!!

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11 (5,685 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Hey bro it takes how much time to download a game....and a game is of how many gb...it will take too long on regular connection ??..please reply asap..!...thanks..!!
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11 (5,683 Views)
0 Kudos