35%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post

Best wireless modem router for PS3

31 Replies 18,650 Views Created 21-09-2009

Can anyone recommend a wireless modem router for PS3.

My old Netgear packed up last week, I bought a Belkin N+ and now realise (after trying it out and researching) that is doesn't play nice with PS3's.

All recommendations appreciated.

Cheers. 

0 Kudos
LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel
/16

dnlgee

96%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
dnlgee
Accepted Solution
I'm currently using a Netgear DG834GT, best router I've used to be honest, got it flashed with custom DGTeam firmware aswell. Was a mega bargain price when I got it for £20 quid from Currys!
0 Kudos

Re: Best wireless modem router for PS3

/16

Raniator

35%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Raniator
Accepted Solution

Thanks Dan.

My router that has just given up was a DG834GT! I did think about buying the same again, but I always think that if I'm buying something new, I should get something 'new'. Maybe I should stick with what I know works.

Thanks for the shout. 

0 Kudos

/16

dnlgee

96%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
dnlgee
Accepted Solution
Well there's plenty of different opinions that people have regarding routers, many prefer LinkSys and Belkin, I suppose it's just what's more user friendly and what get's the job done.

But to be honest, the line attenuation and noise margin I recieve on my DG834GT is much better than 3 other routers I have tried, being a Thompson and 2 different Belkins.
0 Kudos

/16

FLOPTHESHOT

64%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
FLOPTHESHOT
Accepted Solution

D-link or linksys would be my prvferd 2 and put the ps3 in to the DMZ utilaty that these have works a treat.

0 Kudos

Photobucket
/16

chelseakid143

48%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
chelseakid143
Accepted Solution

My Belkin N+ Router works absolutely fine! My NAT type is 1 and my NAT type on MW2 is open, also extremely fast downloads, taking about 10 mins for a 1500MB file. So I don't see how people are having trouble with them? Whats the MAIN problem?

0 Kudos

/16

techwondo

89%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
techwondo
Accepted Solution
After my 5th one died, i swore i would never resort to Netgears ever again. Hopelesly unreliable, expensive for what you get and not particularly flexable.

My Belkin N1 Vision, is diametricaly opposed to that. More relaible than some sort of unholy offspring of a fork and a VW. Sublimely flexable and easy to tweek. IT looks cool too.
0 Kudos

Photobucket
/16

MGRacer53

21%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
MGRacer53
Accepted Solution

So can someone tell me, before I throw the new DGN2000 modem/router and PS3 out of the window what is going wrong.

I have forwarded ports and DMZ'd the PS3 but still I cant access the PSN? It is going online as I can open BBC iPlayer but it will not sign in to PSN.

Up until totday I had a nice D Link router / modem  which worked fine with no changes.

Heeeeeeeeeeelllllllllllllllllllllppppppppppppppppppp

0 Kudos

/16

Sam_A_1992

68%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Sam_A_1992
Accepted Solution

ive also got a DGN2000 and it works fine, good router

0 Kudos

/16

MarkoZecevic

47%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
MarkoZecevic
Accepted Solution

I have a HG520c should that be enough for me to connect it to internet by a Ethernet cable. And what ethernet cable should I buy?

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
/16

ForrestGump1992

88%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
ForrestGump1992
Accepted Solution

Raniator wrote:

Can anyone recommend a wireless modem router for PS3.

My old Netgear packed up last week, I bought a Belkin N+ and now realise (after trying it out and researching) that is doesn't play nice with PS3's.

All recommendations appreciated.

Cheers. 

Hey... thats what I use. Can be a bit bad on some games but like the guy said.. once ur ps3 is in its DMZ its much better

0 Kudos

/16

thenextbutton

87%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
thenextbutton
Accepted Solution

I was going to suggest the netgear dgn2000, really like it and never had any problems with it. I like the fact it has 4 seperat SSID's for wifi great for guests staying over and for having a DS connection.

My PS3 is wired, however, to the router so I am not too sure exactly how good it is wirelessly for the PS3. I have connected it once but that was only to add it to a list on the router of acceptable wireless devices.

0 Kudos

Unofficial U.K Playstation.com Forums flickr Group |  | Last Platinum: NFS Hot Pursuit
>>> click here for my ps3 mac theme <<<
/16

Raniator

35%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Raniator
Accepted Solution

Thanks guys, this is all helpful stuff.

I was looking at the DGN2000 but it hasn't had particularly great reviews. I can only use wireless to access my router for the PS3 due to location so need to make sure wireless is solid.

One other question – what is DMZ? I'm pretty tech savvy but wireless networks aren't something I'm particularly clued up on... just wondering if this could help with the Belkin I bought as a replacement which doesn't work with the PS3. 

0 Kudos

/16

Muttykins

92%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Muttykins
Accepted Solution

Raniator wrote:

I was looking at the DGN2000 but it hasn't had particularly great reviews. I can only use wireless to access my router for the PS3 due to location so need to make sure wireless is solid.

One other question – what is DMZ? I'm pretty tech savvy but wireless networks aren't something I'm particularly clued up on... just wondering if this could help with the Belkin I bought as a replacement which doesn't work with the PS3. 

DMZ means demilitarized zone, It's where anything that was behind a firewall if you put your Ps3 outside of the firewall it will be in DMZ

0 Kudos

/16

thenextbutton

87%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
thenextbutton
Accepted Solution

Raniator wrote:

Really? Maybe I am not trying to use it to its full potential?

DMZ as said demilitarized zone. As mentioned it takes your device from behind the firewall and puts it out there on the net for all incoming/outgoing ports to go straight to it without any protection from the router.

Message Edited by thenextbutton on 21-09-2009 05:07 PM
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Unofficial U.K Playstation.com Forums flickr Group |  | Last Platinum: NFS Hot Pursuit
>>> click here for my ps3 mac theme <<<
/16

E-company-Frank

26%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
E-company-Frank
Accepted Solution
Definition: In computer networking, DMZ is a firewall configuration for securing local area networks (LANs).

In a DMZ configuration, most computers on the LAN run behind a firewall connected to a public network like the Internet. One or more computers also run outside the firewall, in the DMZ. Those computers on the outside intercept traffic and broker requests for the rest of the LAN, adding an extra layer of protection for computers behind the firewall.

Traditional DMZs allow computers behind the firewall to initiate requests outbound to the DMZ. Computers in the DMZ in turn respond, forward or re-issue requests out to the Internet or other public network, as proxy servers do. (Many DMZ implementations, in fact, simply utilize a proxy server or servers as the computers within the DMZ.) The LAN firewall, though, prevents computers in the DMZ from initiating inbound requests.

DMZ is a commonly-touted feature of home broadband routers. However, in most instances these features are not true DMZs. Broadband routers often implement a DMZ simply through additional firewall rules, meaning that incoming requests reach the firewall directly. In a true DMZ, incoming requests must first pass through a DMZ computer before reaching the firewall.
0 Kudos

/16

SKILLZx5

60%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
SKILLZx5
Accepted Solution
To the guys who have the DG834GT, I also have this router flashed with the latest DGTeam firmware, for some reason the UPnP drops off can anybody recommended the best settings for Advertisement period and Advertisement time to live? i currently have default but sometimes UPnP just says not available and have to reboot my router....any help appreciated
0 Kudos

/16

ttarmour

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
ttarmour
Accepted Solution
just got bt homehub 2.0 not had any problems with it yet (touch wood).
0 Kudos

/16

Raniator

35%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Raniator
Accepted Solution

Looks like I'm just going to end up getting a DG834G again!

I would really like to try something new, was looking at the DGN2000 but the reviews are a bit sketchy.

Anyone got an experience with the Rangemax modem routers?

Grrrrr... it shouldn't be this hard, but everywhere I look I get different answers. I know everybody's set ups are different but it seems silly that no one can recommend anything apart from the DG834G which is 5 years old! Your telling me nothing made and released since that is any better?! Just doesn't make sense... 

0 Kudos

/16

Suddss

64%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Suddss
Accepted Solution
All honesty, give up the wireless and go for the homeplugs, agreat alternative to running wires all round the house plus excellent speeds.
0 Kudos

/16

wezbloke

60%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
wezbloke
Accepted Solution

Just a couple of questions about the DMZ thing. I'm using Network Magic on my PC with a netgear router, I'm embarrassed to admit I don't know what model! :Blush:

My wireless connection has always seemed pretty good. Would moving the PS3 to the DMZ make a noticeable difference?? Is it a difficult thing to do?? How do you do this??

I've had my netgear for a couple of years now so will be keeping a close eye on this thread to see what routers get recommended.

Cheers.

0 Kudos

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel