PSN General

21 Sep 2009
By: Raniator Member 6 Posts
Level 1

Best wireless modem router for PS3

31 Replies 17154 Views Created 21-09-2009

Can anyone recommend a wireless modem router for PS3.

My old Netgear packed up last week, I bought a Belkin N+ and now realise (after trying it out and researching) that is doesn't play nice with PS3's.

All recommendations appreciated.

Cheers. 

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 32 (17,154 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Re: Best wireless modem router for PS3

I'm currently using a Netgear DG834GT, best router I've used to be honest, got it flashed with custom DGTeam firmware aswell. Was a mega bargain price when I got it for £20 quid from Currys!
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 32 (17,083 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Thanks Dan.

My router that has just given up was a DG834GT! I did think about buying the same again, but I always think that if I'm buying something new, I should get something 'new'. Maybe I should stick with what I know works.

Thanks for the shout. 

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 32 (17,066 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Well there's plenty of different opinions that people have regarding routers, many prefer LinkSys and Belkin, I suppose it's just what's more user friendly and what get's the job done.

But to be honest, the line attenuation and noise margin I recieve on my DG834GT is much better than 3 other routers I have tried, being a Thompson and 2 different Belkins.
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 32 (17,145 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

D-link or linksys would be my prvferd 2 and put the ps3 in to the DMZ utilaty that these have works a treat.

Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 32 (17,133 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Raniator wrote:

Can anyone recommend a wireless modem router for PS3.

My old Netgear packed up last week, I bought a Belkin N+ and now realise (after trying it out and researching) that is doesn't play nice with PS3's.

All recommendations appreciated.

Cheers. 

Hey... thats what I use. Can be a bit bad on some games but like the guy said.. once ur ps3 is in its DMZ its much better

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 32 (17,126 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

I was going to suggest the netgear dgn2000, really like it and never had any problems with it. I like the fact it has 4 seperat SSID's for wifi great for guests staying over and for having a DS connection.

My PS3 is wired, however, to the router so I am not too sure exactly how good it is wirelessly for the PS3. I have connected it once but that was only to add it to a list on the router of acceptable wireless devices.

Unofficial U.K Playstation.com Forums flickr Group |  | Last Platinum: NFS Hot Pursuit
>>> click here for my ps3 mac theme <<<
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 32 (17,108 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Thanks guys, this is all helpful stuff.

I was looking at the DGN2000 but it hasn't had particularly great reviews. I can only use wireless to access my router for the PS3 due to location so need to make sure wireless is solid.

One other question – what is DMZ? I'm pretty tech savvy but wireless networks aren't something I'm particularly clued up on... just wondering if this could help with the Belkin I bought as a replacement which doesn't work with the PS3. 

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 32 (17,109 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 7

Raniator wrote:

I was looking at the DGN2000 but it hasn't had particularly great reviews. I can only use wireless to access my router for the PS3 due to location so need to make sure wireless is solid.

One other question – what is DMZ? I'm pretty tech savvy but wireless networks aren't something I'm particularly clued up on... just wondering if this could help with the Belkin I bought as a replacement which doesn't work with the PS3. 

DMZ means demilitarized zone, It's where anything that was behind a firewall if you put your Ps3 outside of the firewall it will be in DMZ

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 32 (17,091 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

[ Edited ]

Raniator wrote:

Really? Maybe I am not trying to use it to its full potential?

DMZ as said demilitarized zone. As mentioned it takes your device from behind the firewall and puts it out there on the net for all incoming/outgoing ports to go straight to it without any protection from the router.

Message Edited by thenextbutton on 21-09-2009 05:07 PM

Unofficial U.K Playstation.com Forums flickr Group |  | Last Platinum: NFS Hot Pursuit
>>> click here for my ps3 mac theme <<<
Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 32 (17,086 Views)
0 Kudos