05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post

Blu-Ray drive issue after FW 3.21 update

[ Edited ]
45 Replies 2,347 Views edited 03-04-2010

I was using my ps3 phat 60gb playing borderlands & my limited edition just cause 2 came though with a redemption code for extra stuff anyway I plugged in the modem & did the required update (FW 3.21), after doing so my blu ray drive stopped spinning making it impossible to play games on disc.

I reported this issue to Sony who told me it was just coincidence & it was just a hardware fault nothing to do with FW3.21. Today I was directed to the American forums & there seem to be loads of people having this issue but anybody else here have the same problem?

0 Kudos
LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel
Beta Tester
/16

fets81

• Beta Tester
99%
06 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
fets81
Accepted Solution

mine went after the previous firmware update but for some reason it works when i play games but dosn't when i put blu ray movies in....makes no sense at all 

Re: Blu-Ray drive issue after FW 3.21 update

photo a0739668-2a6e-4e93-9ee7-b928c951013a_zpscd9ba8f7.jpg
http://www.buttonshut.com/http://www.buttonshut.com/
/16

GeeMan07

41%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
GeeMan07
Accepted Solution

Has anyone noticed that the version for the update says 1.3 not 3.21. My system wanted to download this morning. IS THIS JUST MY IMAGINATION.

Beta Tester
/16

PAinKiLLa777

• Beta Tester
90%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
PAinKiLLa777
Accepted Solution

Since I posted this I phoned sony again & pointed out in total I have found over 40 people with the same issue & Ive been given the same its £131 to fix. Sorry but this is bs there update was to blame, I have had blu rtay drives go before & they go gradual this went instantly after doing the update was perfect before.

0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

HUYI

• Beta Tester
82%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
HUYI
Accepted Solution

PAinKiLLa777 wrote:

Since I posted this I phoned sony again & pointed out in total I have found over 40 people with the same issue & Ive been given the same its £131 to fix. Sorry but this is bs there update was to blame, I have had blu rtay drives go before & they go gradual this went instantly after doing the update was perfect before.

it could be this disabling your blu ray drive? http://community.eu.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-3-General-Discussion/You-think-your-Blu-ray-drive... i just read about it recently, vhrvk to see if newer games have AACS Host Revocation List on the box or manual?

Beta Tester
/16

PAinKiLLa777

• Beta Tester
90%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
PAinKiLLa777
Accepted Solution

ty for the reply Sony have stressed me out with there denial of responsibility I really am sitting here gutted.

0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

PAinKiLLa777

• Beta Tester
90%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
PAinKiLLa777
Accepted Solution
0 Kudos

Award Winner
/16

nerdlegend

• Award Winner
96%
10 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
nerdlegend
Accepted Solution

Sorry but if it was the update in theory it would effect all of us ?

I seen SOOOOO many posts going on about updates killing drives. It just drives failing after a update not caused by the update.

So it coincidence you updated and it failed. That £131 is standard for a repair dude sorry :( everbody has that price. If your nice to the person on the phone you could get a better deal...but that unlikely.

Believe if you track down a laser it may make it work again. So you could do a DIY fix

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Photobucket
Beta Tester
/16

PAinKiLLa777

• Beta Tester
90%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
PAinKiLLa777
Accepted Solution

sorry nerd but to many people was effect buy this update to say it was not the fw this time. If you care to read the full post I linked you will see just some of the people effected, I have found loads more on twitter & facebook. All have the same model as me btw.

0 Kudos

/16

Azrahel

53%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Azrahel
Accepted Solution

A few comments nerd: Sony is forcing us to update to their latest firmware, otherwise we lose functionalities (it's pretty clear in the terms and conditions that if you don't update you lose access to the PSN). If a wide spread failure is caused by this firmware update, they are responsible for that.

I am experiencing the same problems (system freezes, most of my games not working). I have a non slim version.

When you have this kind of problems, in most cases do not affect all the users (that will means that they didn't test there update at all, not even once), it affects a certain group that meet certain conditions.

Looks like, in this case, this group is pretty big. If you were lucky enough to not belong to this group, good for you, but helps to complain about their incomplete testing, because you could be part of the group that has this same issue next time. 

YOU SHOULD NOT RELEASE SOMETHING THAT BREAKS SYSTEM AND MAKE IT MANDATORY!!!! 

PROPER TESTING SHOULD BE CONDUCTED (COVERING ALL THE SCENARIOS) BEFORE RELEASING A FIRMWARE UPDATE!!!! IT'S A SERIOUS ISSUE!!!!!

/16

ukredfive

96%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
ukredfive
Accepted Solution

It's not connected to the update. I was on 3.15 on a brand new slim after having a YLOD on a three year old phat and had the same thing.

This is a hardware fault, it was tested and I was immeadiatly given a new one.

This is pretty poor for what I originaly paid nearly £400 for.

Beta Tester
/16

PAinKiLLa777

• Beta Tester
90%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
PAinKiLLa777
Accepted Solution

I got a call back just from a manager at Sony customer service, I was told there not taking any kind of responsibility but he couldn't say they knew for 100% there firmware didn't cause the issue. If you playstation is not covered you will have to pay £131 to get it fixed.

I asked how they could charge us for a problem that they couldn't say with certainty they didn't cause, the reply was "but can you prove we did". Good going Sony you just lost yourself a 15 year loyal customer.

I know this has made me want to install a cfw in hope they might bring out a driver for a external blu ray drive.

0 Kudos

/16

neilp1982

90%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
neilp1982
Accepted Solution
If your PS3 is out of the 1 year warrenty period then Trading Standards state that unless the fault is proven to be down to Sony then your liable for the charge.

End of the day dude, unless you can prove, on paper, not just on a bunch of forums that Sony have caused the problem, then you have to pay for the repair.

Yes it sucks, but such is life.

/16

ZOMB13-R4NG3R

80%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
ZOMB13-R4NG3R
Accepted Solution

now you are learning how Sony treat its loyal customers... which will be there own downfall in the end...

Firmware updates WILL eventually kill a machine, the more firmware updates carried out the bigger the chance your machine (or device) will die... most manufacturers will not release a firmware update until it has been fully tested and thats even after beta testing with some public that dare... I suspect you know who dosnt go to such measure because its only a games console and you'll just buy another...

suggest you use the two failures rule... have the same device fail twice, never buy one again... (btw: on my second PS3, second PSP, so Sony has lost all its lives...)

I have a £200 washing machine that has lasted longer than Sonys proucts... :P

[ Edited ]

All this will be lost in time... like tears in rain...Photobucket
/16

Giova84

41%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Giova84
Accepted Solution
Hey everybody, I own a 40 gb "fat" playstation 3 and I think I'm experiencing the same problem you're talking about here. On April 2nd I upgraded the firmware to 3.21(downloaded directly from the internet to my ps3 console, thus from official source, I suppose). The following day I managed to play Rock Band 2 for about 5 minutes, then the game froze. Same with other games and Blu-Ray movies, some of them not playing at all. Whereas, NO PROBLEMS AT ALL WITH DVDs OR CDs, which load really fast, as usual! So I restored the default settings on my ps3, unsuccessfully. 2 days after, I managed to play FIFA 09 for 2 minutes, then game freeze, again. But this tells me that the bluray player is not broken, it just doesn't work because of some whatsoever crash caused by the firmware. The point is: IS SONY GOING TO DO ANYTHING TO RELEASE A NEW FIRMARE AND FIX THIS PROBLEM? Because I'm definitely NOT going to buy another ps3 or a new blu-ray reader. Don't tell me it's a random break, don't even try to tell me it is the lens. I don't believe in coincidences, if coincidences affect more than 100 people. It's SONY's responsibility to fix this problem, and I believe SONY employees are good and hard-working people, they don't just release "Playstation 3 killers" (or maybe someone did it, someone from Microsoft, hehehe).. With love, from Italy.

/16

TTDegs

93%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
TTDegs
Accepted Solution

Giova84 wrote:
Hey everybody, I own a 40 gb "fat" playstation 3 and I think I'm experiencing the same problem you're talking about here. On April 2nd I upgraded the firmware to 3.21(downloaded directly from the internet to my ps3 console, thus from official source, I suppose). The following day I managed to play Rock Band 2 for about 5 minutes, then the game froze. Same with other games and Blu-Ray movies, some of them not playing at all. Whereas, NO PROBLEMS AT ALL WITH DVDs OR CDs, which load really fast, as usual! So I restored the default settings on my ps3, unsuccessfully. 2 days after, I managed to play FIFA 09 for 2 minutes, then game freeze, again. But this tells me that the bluray player is not broken, it just doesn't work because of some whatsoever crash caused by the firmware. The point is: IS SONY GOING TO DO ANYTHING TO RELEASE A NEW FIRMARE AND FIX THIS PROBLEM? Because I'm definitely NOT going to buy another ps3 or a new blu-ray reader. Don't tell me it's a random break, don't even try to tell me it is the lens. I don't believe in coincidences, if coincidences affect more than 100 people. It's SONY's responsibility to fix this problem, and I believe SONY employees are good and hard-working people, they don't just release "Playstation 3 killers" (or maybe someone did it, someone from Microsoft, hehehe).. With love, from Italy.

Don't tell me it's a random break, don't even try to tell me it is the lens.

OK. :(

But, just so you know, the PS3 uses 2 lasers.

one for blu-ray disks (games and blu-ray movies)

one for DVDs and CDs.

It is very common that if one dies (usually the blu-ray one), the other one to still work.

It's even quite common for the blu-ray laser to start working again.

And then stop, and then work again.

And then stop.

And stay stopped.

But as requested, I'm not going to tell you it's the lens (laser, specifically the blu-ray laser) which has died :(

0 Kudos

* YLOD? * *PSN Connection Problems?* *Blu Ray Problems

And we weren't even testing for that.. :Thumbs:

/16

jonnytiney

60%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
jonnytiney
Accepted Solution
As you know, mines gone as well.

Original 60GB version - Doesn't attempt to start reading any type of disc (Blu-Ray/DVD/CD).
0 Kudos

/16

The_KELRaTH

84%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
The_KELRaTH
Accepted Solution

My 1st one, a 40GB version, had a blu-ray read failure after 1 year 11 months and 29 days old - it was better value to buy a new Slim with a 1yr warranty and DS3 controller than Sony's buy a 40GB refurb with 3 months warranty option.

I like the PS3 but it becomes an expensive gaming format if you need to buy a new Ps3 every few years.

I've since started going back to playing the latest multi port games on the PC as it's turning out to be more reliable and therefore cheaper plus the games are cheaper and offer much higher image quality.

Also PC game data isn't protected so you don't loose it all  - unlike when the PS3 fails!

/16

shepard123456

21%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
shepard123456
Accepted Solution

I've got the same problems bud, every game I have is affected. A full system restore fixes it temporarily but it definately freezes again afterwards. You're right though, for them to cause problems on two updates can't be coincedental, and that ps3 slims aren't effected, I bet those ps3 slims sales are goin up. Apparently they're going to be more updates in the summer for 3D gaming, doubt the fat ps3's will work by then though.

0 Kudos

/16

Rodweath

45%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Rodweath
Accepted Solution

I had the exact same problem after updating the firmware last Thursday April 1st  bluray drive will no longer recognises discs, just getting a spinning disc on top right corner of the screen called Sony and they said the problem with the drive had nothing to do with firmware update it was just coincidence and was told I would need to buy a refurbed machine

Re: Blu-Ray drive issue after rEW 3.21 update

/16

dangerousbrian0

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
dangerousbrian0
Accepted Solution

well this may sound stupid but since i have updated my ps 3 my controller is not syncing to its proper controller port when i turn on the machine via the controller and this is on the ps 3 slim so i have to reassign my controller each time so i can play games it keeps going to port 3 it was alright before update 3.21

[ Edited ]
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel