03 Apr 2010
Playstation Staff

Blu-Ray drive issue after FW 3.21 update

[ Edited ]
45 Replies 2,303 Views edited 03-04-2010

I was using my ps3 phat 60gb playing borderlands & my limited edition just cause 2 came though with a redemption code for extra stuff anyway I plugged in the modem & did the required update (FW 3.21), after doing so my blu ray drive stopped spinning making it impossible to play games on disc.

I reported this issue to Sony who told me it was just coincidence & it was just a hardware fault nothing to do with FW3.21. Today I was directed to the American forums & there seem to be loads of people having this issue but anybody else here have the same problem?

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 46 (2,303 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

Re: Blu-Ray drive issue after FW 3.21 update

mine went after the previous firmware update but for some reason it works when i play games but dosn't when i put blu ray movies in....makes no sense at all 

photo a0739668-2a6e-4e93-9ee7-b928c951013a_zpscd9ba8f7.jpg
http://www.buttonshut.com/http://www.buttonshut.com/
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 46 (2,257 Views)

Playstation Staff

Has anyone noticed that the version for the update says 1.3 not 3.21. My system wanted to download this morning. IS THIS JUST MY IMAGINATION.

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 46 (2,234 Views)
Level 5

Playstation Staff

Since I posted this I phoned sony again & pointed out in total I have found over 40 people with the same issue & Ive been given the same its £131 to fix. Sorry but this is bs there update was to blame, I have had blu rtay drives go before & they go gradual this went instantly after doing the update was perfect before.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 46 (2,199 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

PAinKiLLa777 wrote:

Since I posted this I phoned sony again & pointed out in total I have found over 40 people with the same issue & Ive been given the same its £131 to fix. Sorry but this is bs there update was to blame, I have had blu rtay drives go before & they go gradual this went instantly after doing the update was perfect before.

it could be this disabling your blu ray drive? http://community.eu.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-3-General-Discussion/You-think-your-Blu-ray-drive... i just read about it recently, vhrvk to see if newer games have AACS Host Revocation List on the box or manual?
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 46 (2,188 Views)
Level 5

Playstation Staff

ty for the reply Sony have stressed me out with there denial of responsibility I really am sitting here gutted.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 46 (2,183 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 46 (2,162 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 10

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

Sorry but if it was the update in theory it would effect all of us ?

I seen SOOOOO many posts going on about updates killing drives. It just drives failing after a update not caused by the update.

So it coincidence you updated and it failed. That £131 is standard for a repair dude sorry :smileysad: everbody has that price. If your nice to the person on the phone you could get a better deal...but that unlikely.

Believe if you track down a laser it may make it work again. So you could do a DIY fix

Photobucket
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 46 (2,126 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

sorry nerd but to many people was effect buy this update to say it was not the fw this time. If you care to read the full post I linked you will see just some of the people effected, I have found loads more on twitter & facebook. All have the same model as me btw.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 46 (2,109 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

A few comments nerd: Sony is forcing us to update to their latest firmware, otherwise we lose functionalities (it's pretty clear in the terms and conditions that if you don't update you lose access to the PSN). If a wide spread failure is caused by this firmware update, they are responsible for that.

I am experiencing the same problems (system freezes, most of my games not working). I have a non slim version.

When you have this kind of problems, in most cases do not affect all the users (that will means that they didn't test there update at all, not even once), it affects a certain group that meet certain conditions.

Looks like, in this case, this group is pretty big. If you were lucky enough to not belong to this group, good for you, but helps to complain about their incomplete testing, because you could be part of the group that has this same issue next time. 

YOU SHOULD NOT RELEASE SOMETHING THAT BREAKS SYSTEM AND MAKE IT MANDATORY!!!! 

PROPER TESTING SHOULD BE CONDUCTED (COVERING ALL THE SCENARIOS) BEFORE RELEASING A FIRMWARE UPDATE!!!! IT'S A SERIOUS ISSUE!!!!!

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 46 (1,955 Views)