16 Feb 2009
Playstation Staff

Cross Game Chat is what we need

20 Replies 784 Views Created 16-02-2009

The main thing I think playstation network needs is cross game live chat so we can speak people who is in a different game I would actually use that every day if we had it. 

what do you guys think  

BETA I HAVE BEEN IN: PLAYSTATION HOME CLOSED BETA - RESISTANCE 2 - SOCOM CONFRONTATION - LITTLEBIGPLANET
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 21 (784 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Re: Cross Game Chat is what we need

this has come up loads of times . it will be sony who have to add it to the xmb servers as all game servers are provided by the developers

Free Image Hosting

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 21 (775 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

If I'm playing online, I'm usually with my clan buddies and we're all in the same game. If I do happen to be online 'alone' as it were, and a friend signs in, I'll use in-game XMB to see what they're playing during the next break in play, and join them if I want to. Or they send me a message with a subject like 'Fancy some R2?'

If I'm playing single-player, I'm offline anyway. I like to lose myself in the game, and talking to anyone is a major distraction. So if I'm playing Uncharted, for example, I don't want constant notifications that Joe Bloggs is online, nor am I interested in receiving messages or chat requests.

So while I can see that some people might want it, I personally can manage and am perfectly happy without it.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 21 (765 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Cross-game chat will be something amazing. Imagine talking to your mates about secrets in a game while your actually both playing it offline or if they are on a different game.

I think this would totally benefit Sony 100% and sales would increase even if only by a small percent. The only major things missing from the PS3 is:

-Cross game chatting

-Game launching

Game launching is coming slowly in Home, so I'm not too worried about that at the moment. Bring on voice chatting Sony!

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 21 (758 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 11

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]
Snap as Paranoimia
Also why is it you only want voice chat thats so old fashioned the PS3 has Video chat already on XMB How about the game screen shrinks and the camera feeds pops up. along one side. if the game is ofline you wont be using the internet after all. Voice only chat thats so PS1. Burnout already shows the camera feed when you get a take down.
Message Edited by GraphiteGB on 16-02-2009 02:47 PM
SCEE PS3/PS4 Beta Tester. Paid for NowTV subscription user from 03/2013 to 02/2014. VM cable user, SKY+HD User, Game Capture HD II Owner.
Mobile 14 inch Screen Android kit kat 4.43 user. Pre ordered Kindle Fire TV
Don't Need DLNA with a HTML5 browser in PS4...
Click for Plex.tv Beta video running on PS4 browser.. Enable the 1080p mode
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 21 (757 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

the real push for me for online private chat is being able to use it on games that dont support voice chat . the problem is if sony dont do a good job of it then people will complaining left right and centre where as if its on a certain game then its not sonys fault and you would have to complain to the developers which most people cant be botherd to do.

the other bigger push for private chat is for using it on games thats are poorly supported for voip . eg somthing like motorstorm.where microsoft have made it work ok is that because every game is run from the xbox live servers (unlike psn) each game has the set standard protocol for voip and so every games voip quality is the same and so is the private chat . because voip is so poorly impleneted on the psn side (due to developers not supporting it well on the servers) everyone will start using private chat to get around the poor implemention from the developers . this will put huge strain on the psn servers . which really are as basic as it can get . the psn servers provide friends details  trophy info and the chat fucntion which isnt a hugely used feature by most people so to have the chat fucntion working where you could use it games would put loads of stress on the servers and would probaly need upgrading . thus comes the problem of having somthing for free . why would sony fork out for nothing. like everysaid , you get what you pay 

Free Image Hosting

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 21 (741 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

whereismax123 wrote:

the real push for me for online private chat is being able to use it on games that dont support voice chat . the problem is if sony dont do a good job of it then people will complaining left right and centre where as if its on a certain game then its not sonys fault and you would have to complain to the developers which most people cant be botherd to do.

the other bigger push for private chat is for using it on games thats are poorly supported for voip . eg somthing like motorstorm.where microsoft have made it work ok is that because every game is run from the xbox live servers (unlike psn) each game has the set standard protocol for voip and so every games voip quality is the same and so is the private chat . because voip is so poorly impleneted on the psn side (due to developers not supporting it well on the servers) everyone will start using private chat to get around the poor implemention from the developers . this will put huge strain on the psn servers . which really are as basic as it can get . the psn servers provide friends details  trophy info and the chat fucntion which isnt a hugely used feature by most people so to have the chat fucntion working where you could use it games would put loads of stress on the servers and would probaly need upgrading . thus comes the problem of having somthing for free . why would sony fork out for nothing. like everysaid , you get what you pay 

God bless you. Listen to this man!

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 21 (738 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]
Funnily enough... http://community.eu.playstation.com/playstationeu/board/message?board.id=419&thread.id=80793&page=1
Message Edited by JacktehKnife on 16-02-2009 03:32 PM
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 21 (735 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

GraphiteGB wrote:
Snap as Paranoimia
Also why is it you only want voice chat thats so old fashioned the PS3 has Video chat already on XMB How about the game screen shrinks and the camera feeds pops up. along one side. if the game is ofline you wont be using the internet after all. Voice only chat thats so PS1. Burnout already shows the camera feed when you get a take down.
Message Edited by GraphiteGB on 16-02-2009 02:47 PM

The Burnout camera image is just a still image transmission, though. I don't think in-game video chat will ever be a common thing. Video streaming is a bandwidth hog with light compression, and a processor hog with heavy compression; either way, it's likely to affect gameplay, particularly for those on relatively low-speed connections. And you just know that people with 1MB connections will insist on using it, causing immense lag and screwing up the game for everyone else.

As for using it in offine games... I'm not sure that would work either. For example, if something like Uncharted 2 is using most of the processing power, video chat would have a major impact... either the video or the game would suffer greatly.

Plus, where would the video go? It would have to fit somewhere around the edge of the screen, and since practically all games use that area for HUDs or to relay information to the player, many people would undoubtedly find it unacceptably intrusive.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 21 (726 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 11

Playstation Staff

PIP
The games can down scale to SD so they can easy down scale a tiny bit and create a section with camera footage on screen.
the PS3 does not send a high quality feed it uses 255Kb/s worth of download thats bugger all per camera stream.
SCEE PS3/PS4 Beta Tester. Paid for NowTV subscription user from 03/2013 to 02/2014. VM cable user, SKY+HD User, Game Capture HD II Owner.
Mobile 14 inch Screen Android kit kat 4.43 user. Pre ordered Kindle Fire TV
Don't Need DLNA with a HTML5 browser in PS4...
Click for Plex.tv Beta video running on PS4 browser.. Enable the 1080p mode
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 21 (720 Views)
0 Kudos