55%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post

Cross Game Chat is what we need

20 Replies 818 Views Created 16-02-2009

The main thing I think playstation network needs is cross game live chat so we can speak people who is in a different game I would actually use that every day if we had it. 

what do you guys think  

0 Kudos
LABELS:
BETA I HAVE BEEN IN: PLAYSTATION HOME CLOSED BETA - RESISTANCE 2 - SOCOM CONFRONTATION - LITTLEBIGPLANET
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel
/16

whereismax123

84%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
whereismax123
Accepted Solution

this has come up loads of times . it will be sony who have to add it to the xmb servers as all game servers are provided by the developers

0 Kudos

Re: Cross Game Chat is what we need

Free Image Hosting

/16

Paranoimia

98%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Paranoimia
Accepted Solution

If I'm playing online, I'm usually with my clan buddies and we're all in the same game. If I do happen to be online 'alone' as it were, and a friend signs in, I'll use in-game XMB to see what they're playing during the next break in play, and join them if I want to. Or they send me a message with a subject like 'Fancy some R2?'

If I'm playing single-player, I'm offline anyway. I like to lose myself in the game, and talking to anyone is a major distraction. So if I'm playing Uncharted, for example, I don't want constant notifications that Joe Bloggs is online, nor am I interested in receiving messages or chat requests.

So while I can see that some people might want it, I personally can manage and am perfectly happy without it.

0 Kudos

/16

LonERecoN

90%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
LonERecoN
Accepted Solution

Cross-game chat will be something amazing. Imagine talking to your mates about secrets in a game while your actually both playing it offline or if they are on a different game.

I think this would totally benefit Sony 100% and sales would increase even if only by a small percent. The only major things missing from the PS3 is:

-Cross game chatting

-Game launching

Game launching is coming slowly in Home, so I'm not too worried about that at the moment. Bring on voice chatting Sony!

0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

GraphiteGB

• Beta Tester
96%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
GraphiteGB
Accepted Solution
Snap as Paranoimia
Also why is it you only want voice chat thats so old fashioned the PS3 has Video chat already on XMB How about the game screen shrinks and the camera feeds pops up. along one side. if the game is ofline you wont be using the internet after all. Voice only chat thats so PS1. Burnout already shows the camera feed when you get a take down.
Message Edited by GraphiteGB on 16-02-2009 02:47 PM
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
SIEE PS3/PS4 Beta Tester.

I use Game Capture HD II to capture and upload videos on to youtube
Subscriber Plex app for PS4 AND PS3 out now... free versions built in to console OS...

Black screen on PC remote play showing up as windows GPU driver miss match, visit Intell, AMD, Nvidia to change your driver, downgrade of GPU driver may be required.
/16

whereismax123

84%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
whereismax123
Accepted Solution

the real push for me for online private chat is being able to use it on games that dont support voice chat . the problem is if sony dont do a good job of it then people will complaining left right and centre where as if its on a certain game then its not sonys fault and you would have to complain to the developers which most people cant be botherd to do.

the other bigger push for private chat is for using it on games thats are poorly supported for voip . eg somthing like motorstorm.where microsoft have made it work ok is that because every game is run from the xbox live servers (unlike psn) each game has the set standard protocol for voip and so every games voip quality is the same and so is the private chat . because voip is so poorly impleneted on the psn side (due to developers not supporting it well on the servers) everyone will start using private chat to get around the poor implemention from the developers . this will put huge strain on the psn servers . which really are as basic as it can get . the psn servers provide friends details  trophy info and the chat fucntion which isnt a hugely used feature by most people so to have the chat fucntion working where you could use it games would put loads of stress on the servers and would probaly need upgrading . thus comes the problem of having somthing for free . why would sony fork out for nothing. like everysaid , you get what you pay 

0 Kudos

Free Image Hosting

/16

LonERecoN

90%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
LonERecoN
Accepted Solution

whereismax123 wrote:

the real push for me for online private chat is being able to use it on games that dont support voice chat . the problem is if sony dont do a good job of it then people will complaining left right and centre where as if its on a certain game then its not sonys fault and you would have to complain to the developers which most people cant be botherd to do.

the other bigger push for private chat is for using it on games thats are poorly supported for voip . eg somthing like motorstorm.where microsoft have made it work ok is that because every game is run from the xbox live servers (unlike psn) each game has the set standard protocol for voip and so every games voip quality is the same and so is the private chat . because voip is so poorly impleneted on the psn side (due to developers not supporting it well on the servers) everyone will start using private chat to get around the poor implemention from the developers . this will put huge strain on the psn servers . which really are as basic as it can get . the psn servers provide friends details  trophy info and the chat fucntion which isnt a hugely used feature by most people so to have the chat fucntion working where you could use it games would put loads of stress on the servers and would probaly need upgrading . thus comes the problem of having somthing for free . why would sony fork out for nothing. like everysaid , you get what you pay 

God bless you. Listen to this man!

0 Kudos

/16

JacktehKnife

91%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
JacktehKnife
Accepted Solution
Funnily enough... http://community.eu.playstation.com/playstationeu/board/message?board.id=419&thread.id=80793&page=1
Message Edited by JacktehKnife on 16-02-2009 03:32 PM
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
/16

Paranoimia

98%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Paranoimia
Accepted Solution

GraphiteGB wrote:
Snap as Paranoimia
Also why is it you only want voice chat thats so old fashioned the PS3 has Video chat already on XMB How about the game screen shrinks and the camera feeds pops up. along one side. if the game is ofline you wont be using the internet after all. Voice only chat thats so PS1. Burnout already shows the camera feed when you get a take down.
Message Edited by GraphiteGB on 16-02-2009 02:47 PM

The Burnout camera image is just a still image transmission, though. I don't think in-game video chat will ever be a common thing. Video streaming is a bandwidth hog with light compression, and a processor hog with heavy compression; either way, it's likely to affect gameplay, particularly for those on relatively low-speed connections. And you just know that people with 1MB connections will insist on using it, causing immense lag and screwing up the game for everyone else.

As for using it in offine games... I'm not sure that would work either. For example, if something like Uncharted 2 is using most of the processing power, video chat would have a major impact... either the video or the game would suffer greatly.

Plus, where would the video go? It would have to fit somewhere around the edge of the screen, and since practically all games use that area for HUDs or to relay information to the player, many people would undoubtedly find it unacceptably intrusive.

0 Kudos

/16

GraphiteGB

• Beta Tester
96%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
GraphiteGB
Accepted Solution
PIP
The games can down scale to SD so they can easy down scale a tiny bit and create a section with camera footage on screen.
the PS3 does not send a high quality feed it uses 255Kb/s worth of download thats bugger all per camera stream.
0 Kudos

SIEE PS3/PS4 Beta Tester.

I use Game Capture HD II to capture and upload videos on to youtube
Subscriber Plex app for PS4 AND PS3 out now... free versions built in to console OS...

Black screen on PC remote play showing up as windows GPU driver miss match, visit Intell, AMD, Nvidia to change your driver, downgrade of GPU driver may be required.
/16

Paranoimia

98%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Paranoimia
Accepted Solution

The image is scaled after it's generated and before it's output. As things stand, you'd have the camera image overlayed on the game image, then that would be scaled, meaning part of the screen would be obscured no matter what.

What you describe would require the game image to be generated, scaled, then the camera feed added, then the new image output. Which would require extra time from the processor. If a game like Uncharted 2 is almost maxing out the Cell as Naughty Dog claim, something will suffer.

It could work in games which don't push the Cell, but if Sony were to code it into the XMB for general use, then no game would ever be able to push the Cell beyond, for example, 90% becaue they'd have to leave some room just in case someone wanted to use in-game video chat.

Besides, even 255Kb/s is a large chunk of bandwidth, and it's not only download speed that's important, but upload speed also. I'm on Virgin's 20MB service, but my upload speed is only 768Kb/s, and that's one of the best in the UK - still, that would be a third of my upload speed for video alone. Those on slower connections would almost certainly suffer - the average upload speed in the UK is just 296Kb/s.

I don't deny that it may be a nice feature to have... I just don't see it as feasible, and I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be easy to implement.

0 Kudos

/16

venom2kaii7

28%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
venom2kaii7
Accepted Solution
cross game chat for the win!
0 Kudos

[URL=http://www.ps3trophies.co.uk/cabinet.php?userid=8055][IMG]http://www.ps3trophies.co.uk/gc10000/8055.png[/IMG][/URL]
/16

veen_94

27%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
veen_94
Accepted Solution

I totally agree it would be class if the ps3 got cross game chat. I really hope it happens

PSN: veen_94   add me!!

0 Kudos

/16

bazna

92%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
bazna
Accepted Solution
i believe skype maybe the way forward. It wud take cross game chat to another level, being able to call other Ps3 or Psp, lol, or pc or mobile or landline, tht wud generate income (calling mobile or landlinew needs skype credit, if possible i wud pay for this software
0 Kudos

Skype on the PS3!!!
24 people confernce calls
Cross game cross platform chat
Abilty to call landlines and mobiles
/16

whereismax123

84%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
whereismax123
Accepted Solution

bazna wrote:
i believe skype maybe the way forward. It wud take cross game chat to another level, being able to call other Ps3 or Psp, lol, or pc or mobile or landline, tht wud generate income (calling mobile or landlinew needs skype credit, if possible i wud pay for this software

that would solve sony having to upgrade their psn servers . but skype would want a nice chunk of money for it . yes im sure some people would use it to make phone calls . but the huge majoirty wont and will just use it for ps3 gaming talk . there is no way they would provide a service for free . think it about it . everyone would defiantly milk the service but no one would make any phone calls to jusity the amount of ps3 game use . sony wont be paying out for a service like that either . it would be cheaper for them to do a half arsed of job of it on thier own

0 Kudos

Free Image Hosting

/16

bazna

92%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
bazna
Accepted Solution
point taken but skype is already a success on the psp, i think ppl wud spend money onit. i read somewhere tht skype has over 20M users, if just 10% of them put 10 quid thts alot of dosh. plus sell the software for 50quid which includes official playstation headset win win in my eyes. i also read tht ebay might be selling skype, google lookin like they might be interested maybe sony could get a slice of the pie
0 Kudos

Skype on the PS3!!!
/16

whereismax123

84%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
whereismax123
Accepted Solution

bazna wrote:
point taken but skype is already a success on the psp, i think ppl wud spend money onit. i read somewhere tht skype has over 20M users, if just 10% of them put 10 quid thts alot of dosh. plus sell the software for 50quid which includes official playstation headset win win in my eyes. i also read tht ebay might be selling skype, google lookin like they might be interested maybe sony could get a slice of the pie

if they sold it as an add on . that would be differnt . and a good idea

0 Kudos

Free Image Hosting

/16

paul-p1988

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
paul-p1988
Accepted Solution

kisty789 wrote:

The main thing I think playstation network needs is cross game live chat so we can speak people who is in a different game I would actually use that every day if we had it. 

what do you guys think  

i dont see the need for this at all, if you wanna talk to ur mate just send them a small message, its annoying enough getting messages when im playing my games, let alone having a constant stream of 'XXX wants to start a voice chat with you' messages aswell....

besides, it would take away from playing games online, taking the ***** outta smacktalking noobs while talking to your mate just aint possible...

0 Kudos

/16

bazna

92%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
bazna
Accepted Solution
skype wud also solve tht u only talk to ppl who u want to talk to. but ure missing the point cross-game chat would be a product of a much bigger feature. most ppl ican think of have a pc or lap top or a psp or a mobile or landline all these can be phoned through skype.the playstation 3 cud affectivly be the focul point of communication in ppls home. is there any reasons why this wudn't work
0 Kudos

Skype on the PS3!!!
/16

SilentShadow777

92%
06 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
SilentShadow777
Accepted Solution

Most of the forum regulars have been shouting at Sony to add this till we are blue in the face, there must be some technical issue for this, I wish the would give us a definite answer, is this possible, if not why.

talk slowly and I'm sure we can keep up 

0 Kudos

Twitter @SilentShadow777
Destiny Profiles Hunter | Titan | Warlock
/16

The-Emko

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
The-Emko
Accepted Solution

If Sony cant see what the PSN (So called Community) want, then there just not clever!

Cross Game Chat, At Least !!

In-Game XMB smaller so it does'st show useless stuff, this could also speed the in-game XMB up

Cross Game Invites

We already have In-game music, Developers just have to enable it on there game, Mk v DC, Midnight Club and Warhawk have it :smileyhappy:, maybe more. Super acrobatic rocket powered cars (or whatever its called) sortov has it, in the shape of custom music , but you can still play your own music ingame, p.s THE GAME IS AWESOME !! must buy!

Basically..cross game chat,cross games invites. It will greatly improve the social aspect of PlayStation Network, Home, exisiting/future multiplayer games.
In the words of the O2 advert

“A More Connected World, Is A Better World”
PSN isnt connected until these, or some of these features are added.

0 Kudos

“A More Connected World, Is A Better World”--O2 Advert
--Make PSN Connected!!--In-Game Cross Voice Chat/ In-Game Invites ect ect !

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel