80%
01 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post

Error when trying to connect to internet

17 Replies 1,907 Views Created 28-04-2007
Ok, i've been trying to sort this out since 9am this morning, i've no clue what to do so any help will be much appreciated.. Just to get things strait: OS: Windows XP SP2 ISP: AOL Router i am using:Wireless Netgear DG834G V3 Ps3 Hard drive: 60G My Error: (80710102) an error occurred during communication with the server, this is a DNS error. This appears just after it has obtained my IP address that i have inputed manually. I am using Wi-fi Please help! I want to connect to the internet basically... and its taking this long and its terrible
0 Kudos
LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel
/16

Oo_Alias_oO

98%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Oo_Alias_oO
Accepted Solution
Ok, the infomation in the PS3 will be worng...

If you follow these insturctions i will tell you what should be in the PS3's settings:

Start
Run
Command
ipconfig/all
rightclick
selectall
copy the infomation back to here :gr8:
0 Kudos

Re: Error when trying to connect to internet

/16

[Ps3Guy101]

80%
01 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
[Ps3Guy101]
Accepted Solution
Microsoft(R) Windows DOS
(C)Copyright Microsoft Corp 1990-2001.

C:\DOCUME~1\JACK>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : MainPc
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Network Bridge (Network Bridge):

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : MAC Bridge Miniport
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 82-D5-96-A0-09-98
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.3
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.2
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.2
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.2
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 24 March 2007 17:56:16
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 25 March 2007 17:56:16

C:\DOCUME~1\JACK>
0 Kudos

/16

[Ps3Guy101]

80%
01 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
[Ps3Guy101]
Accepted Solution
Is that the stuff? I also have msn if you would find it easier to message me on that my addy is dave101_@hotmail.co.uk
0 Kudos

/16

Oo_Alias_oO

98%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Oo_Alias_oO
Accepted Solution
Yep, ok

In Your PS3 settings put in:

IP ADDRESS: 192.168.0.3
SUBNETMASK: 255.255.255.0
Default Gatway: 192.168.0.2
DNS SERVERS: 192.168.0.2 & 4.2.2.1 (Also try http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/aboutyou.ch )

Post back,
0 Kudos

/16

Lloydy07

84%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Lloydy07
Accepted Solution
Yep, ok In Your PS3 settings put in: IP ADDRESS: 192.168.0.3 SUBNETMASK: 255.255.255.0 Default Gatway: 192.168.0.2 DNS SERVERS: 192.168.0.2 & 4.2.2.1 (Also try http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/aboutyou.ch ) Post back, If he puts 192.168.0.3 as his PS3's IP address, he will have duplicate IP addresses on his network, as his PC is 192.168.0.3...use something like 192.168.0.4...or a number that has not been used by another device...leave the 192.168.0. bit the same as this is the network address.
0 Kudos

/16

Oo_Alias_oO

98%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Oo_Alias_oO
Accepted Solution
:) Well yeh, thats a easy thing to change... If it does come up with a 'IP Clash' just change your PS3's IP number a digit up or two
0 Kudos

/16

[Ps3Guy101]

80%
01 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
[Ps3Guy101]
Accepted Solution
Well its still not working im gonna try a few more things then give up for a bit :mad: :( but anyway thanks everyone for the help! :D :gr8:
0 Kudos

/16

[James17]

80%
01 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
[James17]
Accepted Solution
:o you must be getting real sick of this type of stuff?
So here am I another clueless PS3 owner.......bought an Belkin G plus Router
got it up and running, got my sons PC up and running piece of cake i'm thinking
tried to log on the big one and nothing cannot get anywhere whith it???
What do I do???
NTL / Virgin Media 2 / 4 meg
Please help...............:o
Had to turn off my PC'S firewall so as to get my son's PC going.
0 Kudos

/16

Lloydy07

84%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Lloydy07
Accepted Solution
Hi James, Are you using wired or wireless for the PS3? Is the PC wired or wireless? Is the PS3 on the same network as the router and PC?.... Router is 192.168.0.1 /255.255.255.0 PC is 192.168.0.2 / 255.255.255.0 The PS3 should be on 192.168.0.x /255.255.255.0 with the default gateway and DNS being the router (192.168.0.1) If you're using wireless, have you entered the correct WEP/WPA password? Can your router see the PS3? EDIT: you shouldn't need to turn off the firewall...I would turn it back on if I were you!
0 Kudos

/16

[James17]

80%
01 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
[James17]
Accepted Solution
getting rather fedup, bought a Belkin G plus Router, connected through my PC and NTL / Virgin media modem had the PC's going but horsed it up, not clever with computers, every time i try to connect PS3 it just comes up no connection found??????????
My connection reads Realtekrtl8139 family pcif... no mention of the Belkin router?

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!
0 Kudos

/16

Lloydy07

84%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Lloydy07
Accepted Solution
getting rather fedup, bought a Belkin G plus Router, connected through my PC and NTL / Virgin media modem had the PC's going but horsed it up, not clever with computers, every time i try to connect PS3 it just comes up no connection found?????????? My connection reads Realtekrtl8139 family pcif... no mention of the Belkin router? HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!! You've not said whether the PCs and PS3 are wired or wireless? I've had a look at the online manual...as I don't know how you've got it configured you're gonna have to go back to the beginning.... I assume the NTL modem is connected to the router, as you've said you have had it working. If you are using wired connections, connect them to the router and power it on. Use Internet Explorer to browse to your routers home page and log in (just type in the router's IP address)..I'll assume it is 192.168.0.1 / 255.255.255.0 Ensure the Internet Status Indicator is green. Go into the LAN settings and enable DHCP..use a range (IP Pool) of 192.168.0.2 to 192.168.0.200. Set the lease time to "Forever"..that way, the leases never expire. Clear any NAT settings you have made (we may come back to this later...I don't have any NAT settings on my config) Enable UPnP...this allows your PC and PS3 to open ports on the router that it needs to use. Leave any ISP settings as is, as you have said that you have connected OK previously...looks like you've set this up OK. Set DNS to "Automatic from ISP" Set your PC and PS3 to get their IP addresses automatically.. and reboot both machines. Go to the "DHCP Client List" page on your router and ensure the the PC and PS3 are listed with an IP address. If they are wireless, they won't appear just yet...you need to configure the wireless settings below... Wireless settings.... Enter a Name for the wireless network (SSID)..something like "My Network" For the wireless mode select "802.11g and 802.11.b. Use Auto Channel mode For now leave Broadcast SSID on, so that your devices can see it (Turn it off after they have connected, to hide your network from the outside world). Enable WPA/WEP (Encryption) and enter a password (Pre-Shared Key -PSK). You will need to enter this password on the wireless devices (PS3 or PC). WPA is more secure. Go to the "DHCP Client List" page on your router and ensure the the PC and PS3 are now listed.. if using wireless. Set the MAC Address Control...this will only allow the specified MAC addresses with specific IP addresses access to the network..security feature..anything not in the list will be refused access. Enable the firewall... If the PS3 can't access the internet try putting it on a DMZ...bypassing the firewall..it is OK to do this for the PS3 but not the PC as it is vulnerable to hacking/viruses etc..PS3 is OK though. See if you can access the internet/sign in etc. The manual seems quite detailed...if you're still having problems, follow the instructions to the letter. You won't have to configure everything in the manual, just the bits mentioned above...you may need to enable port forwarding if you don't use the DMZ option...DMZ opens all ports.
0 Kudos

/16

[James17]

80%
01 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
[James17]
Accepted Solution
:) thanks a bunch Lloydy07 you are a top man I have printed your message of and I will spend tomorrow trying to get this thing off the ground.
Many thanks, Iwill let you know how I get on.:gr8:
0 Kudos

/16

Oo_Alias_oO

98%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Oo_Alias_oO
Accepted Solution

Go to the "DHCP Client List" page on your router and ensure the the PC and PS3 are listed with an IP address. If they are wireless, they won't appear just yet...you need to configure the wireless settings below...

^^ That may not be the case, if the PS3 is already assigned a IP address it wont request one from the DHCP server so the PS3 proably wont show.

Although, great info...

At least there is more that one person (me) helping people with the network stuff now :)
0 Kudos

/16

Lloydy07

84%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Lloydy07
Accepted Solution
If they are already set to DHCP, then he can set it manually, and then change it back to DHCP to reset the lease or run "ipconfig /release" to release the IP address and then "ipconfig /renew" to get a new IP address (ipconfig command is for the PC only..can't do this on the PS3). :gr8: I know what you mean...it always seems to be the same people responding to network issues. :)
0 Kudos

/16

Oo_Alias_oO

98%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Oo_Alias_oO
Accepted Solution
Hm, yeh just dont confuse people xD
0 Kudos

/16

[James17]

80%
01 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
[James17]
Accepted Solution
:D Sorry it has taken so long to get back to you, a big thanks for taking the time and getting me up and running :gr8:
TOP GUY'S THANKS AGAIN:gr8: :love: :D
0 Kudos

/16

Oo_Alias_oO

98%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Oo_Alias_oO