16 Sep 2009
Playstation Staff

Failed to obtain IP address..

40 Replies 20,986 Views Created 16-09-2009

Hey, just wondering if anyone can help me out with this.

Basically I can't sign in. I haven't been able to for ages and its rather annoying.

When I turn my PS3 on it says 'signing in' but never does. I run an internet connection test but it fails to obtain my IP address. It was working fine before.. now it wont :smileysad:  Its connected wirelessly the same as everything else, laptop, PSP and Wii etc. and they work fine. When I try to set up the connection again it still fails to obtain the IP address.

Now, when I go into "Settings and Connection Status List" it shows my IP address! with (Private Networks Only) under it. Im not sure if thats of any relevance or not? Sometimes when I go on this it says "automatic" at first, and then after a short wait the IP address comes up... so Im not sure what's going on :smileysad:

Any help in finding a solution would be greatly appreciated! :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 41 (20,986 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Re: Failed to obtain IP address..

try with a network cable attached to your router and have network settings on ps3 set to automatic where possible

if this works then the ps3 is correctly receiving an ip address from your router

then you want to assign an ip address to your ps3 on the router, then stick your ps3 into the dmz of your router, re-run the connection test on the ps3 and make sure you get nat 2 and bobs your uncle

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 41 (20,928 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 41 (20,922 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Thanks for the reply's guys :smileyhappy:

Im unable to connect the PS3 directly to the router and restarting it doesn't seem to work :smileysad:

I don't understand why it doesn't work when everything else does?.. 

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 41 (20,903 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

reboot the router

try with a network cable, the wireless card inside the ps3 might have failed, its gonna be a process of elimination

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 41 (20,896 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

If I connect my PSP through remote play, will that also rule out the wireless card failing option? 
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 41 (20,892 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

remote play is where the psp connects to the ps3 wirelessly through the wireless access point that is on the router, it does not connect directly to the ps3

if your ps3 cannot connect wirelessly to the router then remote play will not work

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 41 (20,880 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Nope, you can do it via a private network between the PS3 and PSP. No router needed.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 41 (20,875 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Well its nothing to do with the card inside the PS3 thank god. I just connected my PSP through remote play using a private network.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 41 (20,868 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Try assigning a static (manual) IP address to the PS3. Also, check the settings of your router. It could be that the router is assigning the same IP to different items which is causing a conflict.

Before doing that, have you tried turning off all other wireless devices and then turn on the ps3?

-- PS3 60GB (FW3.15/320GB) : PS3 Slim (FW3.21/120GB) --
On Fri, 2009-08-21 at 09:58 -0700, geoffrey.levand at am.sony.com wrote: "Please be assured that SCE is committed to continue the support for previously sold models that have the “Install Other OS” feature and that this feature will not be disabled in future firmware releases."
18/08/09 John Kollor said "If anyone wants to use previous models and change the OS, they can do so."
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 41 (20,866 Views)
0 Kudos