04 Aug 2008
By AnXa
Playstation Staff

Gamesharing is illegal, right?

114 Replies 4,563 Views Created 04-08-2008

I found out about this like yesterday... There is supposed to be some sort of "system" which has Sony's blessing and it's supposed to be perfectly legal too. But I won't buy it. There was this kid, "nikezu", yesterday whom added me to his friends list and asked for a "sharing" my psn games for him. And I asked what's it about, never heard of it. He told that I was supposed to give my email I use to login and password for PSN. Then the bells rung in my head extremely loudly and told him to f**k off. But this kid started claiming that it's perfectly legal thing and that it has SONY'S APROVAL! I was like lol, it's not, read the PSN license agreement. And then he blocked me... It was weird enought that it was worth looking into with google...

Somebody should state it from Sony. Since there are punch of 10 year kids claiming it's legal when it is not. They refer in to this http://www.wired.com/gaming/gamingreviews/news/2006/10/71982

When it clearly contradicts with the PSN User Agreement and other licenses.

http://www.us.playstation.com/support/useragreements

And what's the thing with the web?

People have made numerous threads like these:

http://forums.n4g.com/m_178005/mpage_1/printable.htm

http://www.psxextremeforums.com/playstation-3/8137-official-psn-gamesharing-thread-split-trade-share...

Where they do this "sharing". It's just plain simple illegal and it's supposed to be common sense that you will not give away your passwords for any service. What's wrong with the web these days?

If this post is annoying or something then mods are free to remove it but my thing here is to talk about this "sharing", not to "share" anything to anyone.

A song brings us joy. A song is the highest culture that Lilims have created. Don't you think so?
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 115 (4,563 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Re: Gamesharing is illegal, right?

Some downloads say something along the lines of "This may be downloaded on upto 5 different PS3's".
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 115 (4,556 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Good article.

i'm under the impression it's ok to game share. for instance, i've loaded my psn account onto my brothers and girlfriends fathers ps3, and have downloaded the ganmes i've already paid for. and as long and you leave your account on their ps3 then can still play the games. it also means i can still claim trophioes on my account when not at home! 

I certainly wouldnt let anyone else have my password though.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 115 (4,545 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

OPM said it was for friends and family, so AFAIK its fine.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 115 (4,532 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 13

Playstation Staff

AnXa wrote:

I found out about this like yesterday... There is supposed to be some sort of "system" which has Sony's blessing and it's supposed to be perfectly legal too. But I won't buy it. There was this kid, "nikezu", yesterday whom added me to his friends list and asked for a "sharing" my psn games for him. And I asked what's it about, never heard of it. He told that I was supposed to give my email I use to login and password for PSN. Then the bells rung in my head extremely loudly and told him to f**k off. But this kid started claiming that it's perfectly legal thing and that it has SONY'S APROVAL! I was like lol, it's not, read the PSN license agreement. And then he blocked me... It was weird enought that it was worth looking into with google...

That's exactly what they should have done. Sony specifically say "DO NOT give out your email you use to sign in or your password". If you had done this. This kid would now hijack your account and download stuff to his PS3, which you'd be paying for. He'd also probably  have got you banned on here, by posting a lot of spam.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 115 (4,531 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

I'm not sure if it's legal or not, but I've only done it with people I actually know in real life and I trust.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PSN ID: Blurb

Online games: Burnout Paradise, F1:CE, Motorstorm, The Orange Box, Calling all Cars!, Warhawk, PES 2008, GTA IV, Civilisation Revolution, COD 5 WAW, Resident Evil 5, Saint's Row 2, GH: WT

www.achieveplaystationtrophies.com

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 115 (4,452 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

Diddymow wrote:
Some downloads say something along the lines of "This may be downloaded on upto 5 different PS3's".

I am gettig confuzed. While the PS3 and PSN terms of use clearly say that this kind of activity is prophitted there is article like this on PS3 customer support:

I purchased some downloadable game content on the PLAYSTATION®Network. Part of the product descripti...

Answer:

This means that the content that you purchased may be used by other users on an activated PLAYSTATION 3 after you downloaded the content onto your PLAYSTATION 3.   Some content may require the user to have a PLAYSTATION Network account, and other content may require you to have additional game content that may be sold separately.  For example, you may need to purchase a full game in order to use the character that you purchased on the PLAYSTATION Network for the game.

Please review the use restrictions associated with the content you purchased.  The content may be played on up to 5 activated PLAYSTATION 3's at any one time.

I picked that up from: http://ps3mods.blogspot.com/2007/05/playstation-store-game-sharing.html

This is getting now really really really weird... 

I am starting to think that somebody has f***ed up at Sony. If this is legal why there are no way to ensure on what activated devices are and how they are activated and what for. If "sharing" would be legal there should be way to ensure that nobody will play "a prank" to other. Why this "feature"is not advertised anywhere. There are huge risks also in this thing.

Edirol: Some how I am losing my confidence towards Sony America. Espesially when I found this:

http://www.us.playstation.com/support/termsofuse

3. Even though our friendly neighborhood lawyers try to check everything we do here with a fine-toothed comb, we're not saying we're flawless. Sorry to have to say it, but the only promise we can make to you is that this site is totally cool and loads of fun! Anything you read, hear, look at, or use, you're doing so at your own risk. We assume no liability or responsibility for errors or omissions on this site.

6. This may sound familiar, but it's important, so we're going to rephrase it. Anything on this site--pictures, drawings, text, games, anything--is either our property or the property of someone who gave us the permission to use it. IT'S NOT PUBLIC DOMAIN, AND IT'S DEFINITELY NOT YOURS. Don't use any of it for anything other than personal entertainment, unless we say you can (and we probably won't). If you do, you're probably violating at least one law, and since we told you here, we won't feel bad about coming after you.

7. On the same note, there are plenty of trademarks, logos, and service marks on this site that belong to us or someone who said it's cool for us to use them. So hands off! (That's from our legal guys.) They also say if you fool around with any of these trademarks, they or the owner of the mark or some other prosecutor who they inform will come after you.

So, that's not everything but I kind of found it amusing that within real legal licenses was this practial joke one. I wouldn't take that seriously, no way in hell.

Edirol 2:

Some germanese guys on this forum have writen that this site's admins got this nailed with following words:

"Game sharing is in violation of the ToS for the PSN. As such, discussion of game sharing is not permitted here. Please keep this in mind for the future. Thank you."

and...

"Please note that discussion of game sharing is not permitted on these forums. Thank you."

This practicly means that starting "game sharing" thread here where the point is to share games around is not permitted. As it is illegal. I guess we can talk about the subject when ever or not it is illegal or not.

Message Edited by AnXa on 04-08-2008 08:18 PM
A song brings us joy. A song is the highest culture that Lilims have created. Don't you think so?
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 115 (4,370 Views)
0 Kudos
no level

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]
7. GENERAL LICENCE
All content and software provided through PSN is licensed non-exclusively to you, your children and children for whom you are legal guardian (collectively 'you') solely for your personal, non-commercial use on your PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system or your PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) system or any other hardware devices authorised by us, and subject to these Conditions and any relevant Additional Conditions. All intellectual property rights in the content and software provided by or through PSN (collectively defined as 'Property'), belong to us and / or our licensors. All use of or access to such Property is subject to these Conditions, any relevant Additional Conditions and all applicable laws.
You must not:
sell, transfer, rent, sublicense, modify, adapt, translate, reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble any portion of the Property (unless permitted by applicable law); or
• create any derivative works, attempt to create the source code from the object code, or download content or software for any purpose other than game play or other use authorised by us; or
• except where expressly authorised by us, copy the Property, or any part of the Property, or use it for public performance.

http://www.scei.co.jp/ps3-eula/psn/e/e_tosua_en.html
Message Edited by Alize on 04-08-2008 06:38 PM
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 115 (4,337 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

so, am i able to download my psn games onto my brothers PS3?

this doesnt seem any clearer!

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 115 (4,200 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

OMFG. anxa stop whining EVERYWHERE AND GET A *****ING LIFE ! GOD!

Gamesharing is friggin OK! on your own risk! SO stop bitching!

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 115 (4,128 Views)
0 Kudos