24 Apr 2008
Playstation Staff

Help? Can i connect my ps3 to a wifi hotspot?

9 Replies 4,080 Views Created 24-04-2008
Please please help me, someone!. I am currently staying in a caravan for the next month due to work commitments. I need to get my PS3 online, the site does have wifi which i can use in conjunction with a laptop. I simply enter a time code into the browser page and hey presto. I can also do this via the browser on the ps3. However i do not have a wep key for this network so am unable to connect for the PSN. GTA 4 is imminent and i need to be ONLINE!!!  HELP.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10 (4,080 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Re: Help? Can i connect my ps3 to a wifi hotspot?

!!I would also like to know this !!!

Bump 

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10 (3,995 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

You will need the WEP key.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10 (3,964 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

The forums have been stumped!! No solutions then guys, like i said in the original post i'm struggling getting a wep key from the site.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10 (3,876 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

You could try one of these:

http://www.hercules.com/us/wifi/bdd/p/33/hercules-wifi-usb-transmitter-hwgusb2-54v2-ap-/ 

I can't connect to my work's wireless network as they have a web-login thingy, but I've got bought one and it's connected to my desktop which in turn is connected to works wired network. I can then set a WPA/WEP key and SSID in the dongle managment software which allows me to connect my PSP to the newly created wireless network and access the internet and remote play. You might be able to connect your lap-top to the hotspot, then use this to create your own personal wireless network.

I can't guarantee it will work though, so it depends on whether you want to spend the £30 on the gamble.

One word of warning though...the software doesn't work on Mac's, only PCs.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10 (3,871 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

p.s. I would try it out and tell you whether it works, but my Toshiba laptop is rubbish and won't hold a charge for more than 3 minutes. There are bugs in the bios which Toshiba refuse to fix.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10 (3,869 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Have you got access to the router? the wep key is usually printed on the bottom.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10 (3,857 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Mahavishnu wrote:
Have you got access to the router? the wep key is usually printed on the bottom.
unless they have changed it
Photobucket
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10 (3,852 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

The simple answer to this question is : Yes.

There is nothing fundamentally different between Wi-fi at home and a publicly available Wi-fi spot.

However......

Most Wi-fi hotspots are secured and you will have to get the code to allow you to connect. If you are staying in a hotel they will normally give you the access code free of charge if you are a guest. BT Openzone run a number of publicly available Wi-fi spots which you access using their paid service. Each customer gets their own code to log on through the service.

Most coffee shops offer free wi-fi now and there are other paid services out there which re-direct you to a web page when you attempt to use it. This web page will allow you to use your credit card to pay for access.

In short there are many different ways of connecting to Wi-Fi hotspots and the only way to do this is to find out who owns the wi-fi and work out which hoops you need to jump through. Most, per hour, will cost more then the price of your own broadband connection.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10 (3,804 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

greavsie007 wrote:
Please please help me, someone!. I am currently staying in a caravan for the next month due to work commitments. I need to get my PS3 online, the site does have wifi which i can use in conjunction with a laptop. I simply enter a time code into the browser page and hey presto. I can also do this via the browser on the ps3. However i do not have a wep key for this network so am unable to connect for the PSN. GTA 4 is imminent and i need to be ONLINE!!!  HELP.

if you dont need the wep key for the laptop, what makes you think you will need it for a PS3 (or for that matter a a Wii/XBox 360 or any other device that connects to the wireless access point?).  The wep key is a security key that stops people connecting who are not authorized if you are paying or are given access then why would you need the wep key?  The laptop and PS3 are no different they run different software but the principles are they same...

I assume your problem is that you cant connect to PSN?  this will be due to the firwall ports are closed? this will be governed by whoever owns the acess point?  and since browsing the web only  requires http (port 80) and https (port 443) and are pretty much standard across all devices.  looks like your out of luck

Message Edited by raowler on 03-06-2008 08:36 PM
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10 (3,792 Views)
0 Kudos