30 Mar 2009
Playstation Staff

Help! Connection error 80010201

[ Edited ]
12 Replies 17,976 Views edited 30-03-2009

Everytime i turn my ps3 on i seem to be getting this error. I tried changing my connection settings but the ps3 says the ethernet is not connected even though it is, i try and go wireless and it says the access point was not detected. Sometimes my joypad wont connect to the ps3 either.

Anyone had this problem and know how to sort it? 

Cheers.

Message Edited by Yourwifemykids on 30-03-2009 01:19 PM
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13 (17,976 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Re: Help! Connection error 80010201

Anyone? :smileysad:
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 13 (17,951 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 7

Playstation Staff

Are other devices in your home that use the router connecting to it?

Have you tried unplugging your router at the wall, leaving it for a minute and plugging it back in?

What router do you own?

Do you use WEP/WPA encryption or a MAC lockdown?

Have you tried a different ethernet cable?

Have you tried plugging the ethernet directly into the modem (if you have a modem too)

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13 (17,936 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

fski wrote:

Have you tried unplugging your router at the wall, leaving it for a minute and plugging it back in?

What router do you own?

Have you tried plugging the ethernet directly into the modem (if you have a modem too)

I have tried all them except plugging directly from the modem, I'll give it ago now.

My router is a Linksys WRT160N-uk and I have a WPA encryption when I use wireless, but the ps3 doesnt find it and when I try and go wired it says the ethernet is not connected even though it is.

And nah plugging it directly from the modem doesnt work either. :smileysad:

Message Edited by Yourwifemykids on 30-03-2009 04:08 PM
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 13 (17,936 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 7

Playstation Staff

Yourwifemykids wrote:

fski wrote:

What router do you own?

I have tried all them except plugging directly from the modem, I'll give it ago now.

My router is a Linksys WRT160N-uk and I have a WPA encryption when I use wireless, but the ps3 doesnt find it and when I try and go wired it says the ethernet is not connected even though it is.

And nah plugging it directly from the modem doesnt work either. :smileysad:

Message Edited by Yourwifemykids on 30-03-2009 04:08 PM

It could be that the Ethernet port in the PS3 is damaged if you've tried a different cable.

If so, call sony.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13 (17,906 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

I have phoned them and the'yre going to replace it.

Cheers for the help, though.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13 (17,904 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

hello ppls..I have the same exact problem you hsve with that error 8001020 and it wont read my ethernet either. Only other problem is that I disassembled my ps3 to find that nothing is wrong with it..Now i can't even send it to sony to replace. Can you please tell me what sony replaced or how you fixed the problem so I can do something!! please reply asap as I have been frustrated for a month now.

cheers in advance, 

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13 (17,284 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

I know this is long over due, but  I have been having the Excate problems that you guys are having  and I was told by sony that becuase I tampered with (trying to fix it myself but warrently was long gone anyway) that the tech guy who fixes it could refuse to fix based off the sticker being removed.

So yes, I too would like to know if its the Wifi board or if its the ethernet port. AND NO ONE can give a answer, either they just send it off to get fixed, what got fixed? Did they just replace the whole system?? no  one can say or they buy a new PS3.

In regards to what I have already done, I've done everything, its nothing to do with the router, IP, the cord itself, everthing else in the house works fine. I cleaned my parts and I can't find any help in regards to testing the port itself.

I will be purchasing a new Wifi board and testing that to see if it is INDEED the wifi board. If that doesn't work then I really am at a lost and I search the internet over and under and can't find any help at all.

But if you like some help has to what I have already done that you may want to try youself, here is alink to my blog where I posted all goings on.

http://pacroid.blogspot.com/2010/01/my-ps3-is-officially-off-market.html

If you find anything, please let me know.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13 (16,628 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

Playstation Staff

there was a similar thread to this from a few weeks ago.

according to the person who had opened their PS3, it appeared that both the wireless and wired interfaces use the same physical board - something about finding the wireless internal antenna and seeing that it was soldered to the same board as the ethernet port.

further (apparently), the PS3 tries to use the wireless connection before trying the wired - and (again apparently) if the wireless is FUBAR (in said owner's case the antenna had become de-soldered / broken), the PS3 didn't then go on to try the wired port - it just failed.

All of that is anecdotal, but MAY be of some help?

* YLOD? * *PSN Connection Problems?* *Blu Ray Problems

And we weren't even testing for that.. :Thumbs:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13 (16,621 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

If you opened your ps3 you may have noticed a thin black line going from the front of the ps3 to the back in between the power supply and blue ray drive. Check and make sure the line is seated completely on the board and make sure the ribbon cable on the front board is secure.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13 (9,224 Views)
0 Kudos