04 Jan 2009
Playstation Staff

How to boost Wifi signal?

20 Replies 1,206 Views Created 04-01-2009
Does anyone know ways to boost the PS3's wifi for free, atm mine is around 30%.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 21 (1,206 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Re: How to boost Wifi signal?

Try and keep the Playstation 3 close to the Wifi Router as possible.

If your router has an antenna, you may want to buy an extended one too:

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trksid=m38&_nkw=wifi+antenna&_sacat=See-All-Categories

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 21 (1,203 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Thanks for the quick reply.

I can move it a bit but not much, also should the antenna be pointing upwards?
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 21 (1,197 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 2

Playstation Staff

Briatore wrote:
Thanks for the quick reply.

I can move it a bit but not much, also should the antenna be pointing upwards?

It would be best to try and point the antenna towards the ps3. The signal strenth will be affected by the amount of objects it has to pass through before reaching your ps3.

For example my wi-fi has to pass through my sofa (antenna is behind sofa), the 1st floor and about 2 brick walls. Mine is normally around 70%.

So try to cut down the amount of objects it has to pass through, if this doesn't work then maybe try upgrading your wireless router.

Trade Your Games Here

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 21 (1,175 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

Hmmm if your modem has an ariel then you could use a parbolic reflector effot to boost your outgoing signal theres a printout someplace all you need is A4 paper Foil and glue, oh yeah please note these things push the siglnal out in one direction so signal going to other devices may drop a bit if they are not in line of sight.

Link on US fourn Linky

not sure how well this may work.

Today I R Mostly Waiting...
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 21 (1,159 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

I have changed the router channel for a friend from 11 to 7 She did have a 60% signal it is now 100% I'm not saying you will get 100% but it should improve the strength by doing that.

Also cordless phones can affect performance,most phones have a channel select on as well.

Message Edited by MOONGARM on 05-01-2009 03:29 AM
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 21 (1,115 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

if your router is next to a computer for example, the computer will give the router interference, so you might want to move the router closer to the ps3 and make sure nothing else which is giving a electronic signal is next to the router :smileyhappy: and put it next to a window cools it down :smileywink: :smileytongue: that is what mine is like and i have 100% :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 21 (1,092 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Tips:

Cut the clutter - walls and electrical devices can bleed off your signal; the best thing to have between your PS3 and the router is air.

Maintain a safe distance - contrary to some reports putting the router right next to the PS3 won't always get you the best signal try varying the distance.

Change the channel - check if anyone else has a WiFi system around you. If you're using the same channel you'll be interfering with each others broadcast. You should aim at being a mimimum of two channels different from those around you.

Outdated encryption - check what security system you're using. While you don't want to leave your system open using 64-bit WEP seems to have an effect on performance. WPA may give you a better signal and offers better security anyway.

Change the antenna -  chances are the system you have comes with a omnidirectional antenna. If the antenna is a separate part of the router and unscrews you may want to shop around for a monodirectional version and point it at your PS3.

New router - some routers come with a 'boost' function that may or may not improve performance; you may want to invest in one of those.

If all else fails - live with it and be thankful you've got some signal at all :smileywink:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 21 (1,039 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Youtube.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 21 (1,029 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 2

Playstation Staff

Even with better wireless you will struggle to get a steady reliable signal. 30% is very weak so there must be alot of obstructions

Ive recently spent ages trying to get the wifi in my house to have a strong signal in my bros room. I even brought a 1 watt amp and it made very little differance.

I would say forget buying the router.

Buy yourself some solwise homeplugs. £50 on ebay. Great bit of kit and since getting my ps3 hooked up on it i experience far less connection issues. It uses your mains wiring as your ethernet connection. Plug and play. One goes near your router and u then use rj45 cable to plug it to your router. The other goes next to your ps3. jobs a good un.

Seriously you will spend lots of money on wireless with little joy. Wired is always better. Especially for lag and ping times

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 21 (970 Views)
0 Kudos