PSN General

17 Jun 2009
By: Milky_08 Member 6000 Posts
Level 4

How to connect your ps3 to your tv/monitor (image warning)

[ Edited ]
5 Replies 39458 Views edited 17-06-2009
Standard Definition
Standard definition allows many ways of connecting the ps3 to a TV providing the ports are there. The most standard way for connecting your ps3 to an SD TV will be using composite cables; this is the cable that is split into three RCA connections, each section having a different colour. Yellow controls the video output from the ps3 whilst white and red cover the left and right audio feed.

Photobucket

Photobucket

This cable is provided in the box with the ps3 and plugs directly into the matching coloured ports on your TV. Alternatively your TV may have a Scart connection, this fits all three of the composite plugs into one bar. A composite cable can be easily and cheaply converted into Scart connection with a simple adapter easily available from electronics stores and online.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Another alternative, providing your TV supports it is S-Video. This is effectively an alternative to the yellow plug on a composite cable and also requires sound to be taken over separately through the red and white plugs (this usually all comes together in one package). Less common than the standard composite cable although an official Sony s-video cable is still widely available.

Photobucket

Photobucket

High Definition
To ascertain an improved feed offering high definition video many cables can be used. The simplest and easiest way is a HDMI cable. Similar to an SD scart cable a HDMI can carry both sound and vision along its digital connection. A digital connection may often provide a more stable feed with less quality lost overall. This digital connection also means that quality is rarely lost and so any HDMi cable will do the job effectively, be it the £100 one from an electronic shop or like mine the £1.50 one from the internet.

Photobucket

However some monitors do not have a HDMI port and instead have DVI. If this is your case the first step would be to check whether you DVI connection is HDCP supported, this will allow you to transmit HD signals down this also digital connection capable of providing 1080p so long as your connection is either DVI-I or DVI-D. DVI-A is only capable of transmitting an analogue signal- see images to work out your connection.
DVI is very similar to HDMI and so HDMI-DVI cables can easily be found online once again at a cheap price which will not affect image quality. However DVI differs in that it is not able to carry sound, this will instead have to be carried out separately either to an external sound system or can still be outputted through the TV providing it is complaint.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

The PS3 can be set to output video through HDMI and audio through the standard composite cable meaning the red and white plugs can be plugged into a sound device supporting any of the connections mentioned in the SD section of this guide. To output via the same monitor you will first need to clarify that it has speakers and also a suitable input device for sound. Commonly next to the DVI port a 3.5mm audio input port can be found which couples with the DVI to support video and sound through the monitor. To do this you will still need to output via the composite cable for sound and plug this into an adapter for 2x Phone female to 1x 3.5mm male connection. This can once again be picked up very cheaply, see the image below for clarification before you buy.
Some monitors may allow you to input through different connections such as Scart however often each connection will be split into separate TV sources and so you may find sound being on one source whilst video is on another. In this case you will need to use an external sound system.

Photobucket

Most monitors will also have a VGA connection however this is harder to connect a PS3 to a VGA port. The best way to do this in order to get a high quality HD signal is to use a product called HD fury. This allows you to convert a DVI signal into a VGA signal meaning that in order to use HD fury you may need other cables. Some versions have it all in one cable, HDMI one end and VGA the other with the HD fury section in the middle. However some versions only provide an adapter meaning you will first need a HDMI-DVI cable to carry the signal to HD fury and then a VGA to VGA cable to carry the signal from HD fury to the monitor. Regardless of which option you take sound will also need to be dealt with separately, refer back to the DVI section for advice about this.
However VGA is an analogue signal which suffers more from quality loss and so a good VGA cable should be used if you cannot turn to a HDMI or DVI port.

Photobucket

Another alternative which still only provides an analogue signal is a Component cable, this is similar to a composite cable but has an extra green blue and red connection whilst the yellow is dropped. The yellow has now been effectively split into the three new colours meaning that the component cable has 5 connections on the end. This connection can provide 1080p video but is uncommon on most monitors although often available on TV’s.

Photobucket

Photobucket

This concludes my explanation of connections, for any help send me a PM and I’ll do my best to help.
Message Edited by Milky_08 on 17-06-2009 08:02 PM
Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 6 (39,458 Views)
Level 6

Re: How to connect your ps3 to your tv/monitor (image warning)

As a note to anyone who is running their PS3 in SD are using composite cables, ditch them ASAP!

Upgrade to either S-Video (good), RGB SCART (better) or component (best).

If you're getting a new SCART cable make sure it's wired for RGB otherwise you'll be no better off than using composite really.
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 6 (37,300 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 2

This is in the wrong part of the forums!

Good guide, but if people can't figure out how to plug a cable in, I doubt there any good on a PC or PS3.

Also to those who are running on SD still, Buy a cheap second hand Dell monitor for about £120. It is good Value for money.

Add DRT_89 To Win!
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 6 (37,259 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

This isnt the wrong part, this is where I was told to put it by MusterBuster thak you.
Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 6 (36,754 Views)
0 Kudos

i ordered a 3m 3.5mm Jack to 2 x RCA Cable as seen in the picture if i attach it to the audio jack on my tv and then to the rca sockets on the side of my tv will the sound be carried.                                                   136758i286C2E169FE25574

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 6 (33,373 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 13

its defo the wrong part if u r trying to help people set up with cables then put it into the tech section

Let the others come after us. We welcome the chase
Bill Struth 1875-1956
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 6 (33,361 Views)
0 Kudos