By Seanio15

Seanio15

57%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post

I need to rant: PSN? FIXED? JOKE? (and more)

[ Edited ]
53 Replies 902 Views edited 04-06-2011
Okay, so, apologies ahead of time if this isn't clear and concise, and I've tried not to break any general forum rules, though in all honesty, I've not checked the specific forum rules for here. I just know I needed somewhere I could rant where hopefully someone who could sort things out would read it...
(Also, if anyone who isn't PS Staff reads this and wants to take a shot at me for what I say, I'd advise you read the whole post before responding.. Let's just say it's better for everyone if we behave that way..)
Anyway, here goes:

I'm not normally one to complain...

And this probably isn't the best area to post this.....

But it's been far too long now. I've been very patient. I haven't said a word, unless I've been defending Sony on their behalf whenever somebody bad mouthed the situation....

But enough is enough.

To the PS Blog authors: You shouldn't be posting blog announcements and news announcements that everything's fine and dandy until it ACTUALLY IS.

To the Quality Assurance team: Clearly somebody's not been doing their job in terms of QA.

Here's the situation at the moment, on my end:

PSN is still full of errors all over the place.
It's ridiculously difficult for someone to reset their password if the servers keep going down "for maintenance" and if the PS3 system itself reports errors when attempting to do anything about changing or resetting passwords.

PlayStation Store cannot currently be accessed (again, more errors).
I can't change my billing information after getting a new card because my details were compromised due to your hacking (AGAIN, more errors).

PlayStation Home tells me it needs to download an update, yet when I attempt to do so, it freezes the system and forces a restart.

And that's all before even GETTING on to the PS Store to redeem this so-called "Welcome Back" package, which, by the way, in my opinion, is a poor effort at making up for lost gaming time and compromised (and potentially stolen) details.

Speaking of which: Does ANYONE even know yet IF any card details HAVE been taken? Anyone even looking into WHAT details were taken? Or are we not bothering now because "the network's back up"?

As for the "Welcome Back" package, I think it's very poor customer service to limit the availability of these "freebies", and particularly anything downloaded through PS Plus on the free 30 days... WHY does this stuff become unavailable after the 30 days? Surely it should be ours to keep?
(NO, I'm not taking about purchased items through PS Plus, I'm talking about the free games, demos and whatnot)

I would've thought users would have a CHOICE in what free games they got, not to pick from a list of out of date titles. (Same goes for this weekend's movies. Why only this weekend, too?)

I think it's fair to say MOST people already have LittleBigPlanet and/or InFamous.. (Though I personally don't have InFamous yet), and SOME people might not be interested in the other games in your selected few.

I honestly don't see much more that's being offered as part of the "Welcome Back" package that's worth all this down time and drama.

At this point I need to mention this Identity Theft Protection programme that hasn't been pushed. You mentioned once that Affinion would be offering some service, and to visit a certain website. For a long time that website said "PlayStation Network users come back later". Now they require us to call them..? Surely they have an online service?

I don't mean to come off all ranty and on my high horse or anything, and I'm honestly not normally a complainer.. but this has gone on long enough. I know at the end of the day, we're just talking about a service that is provided to us for free (sort of) and only deals with recreational entertainment and isn't really life changing... but the fact that someone, somewhere could have taken personal, and financial details that are mine? without asking? and potentially could have used them? THAT's important..

It's June. The hacking happened in April. And there's STILL issues with PSN, the Store, and Home?

And people haven't even worked out if they're going to, and what they're going to offer in Home as part of the "Welcome Back" package..?

Sadly, I'm one of those guys who refuses to "switch sides" and go with Microsoft and the XBox360, and I've been loyal to Sony since day one of the ORIGINAL PlayStation launch, so I guess I'm stuck waiting for things to (eventually) sort themselves out, and likely some people will just tell me to shut up about all this...

I've BEEN patient. I've KEPT quiet.

But I just can't hold it in any longer.

I'm P****d off.    :smileymad:

I'd like some answers, and a potential time frame for things to get fixed? I'm not comfortable giving new card details at the moment anyway with so many errors still popping up.

This suggests to me that PSN isn't quite fully functional, and if THAT'S the case, then there'll be metaphorical cracks and holes in the metaphorical walls... If THAT'S the case, it's likely someone, if they wanted to, could still hack the whole thing and start us off on round two.

I don't want that to happen. I'm sure no-one else does either.
I want to know it's safe to go back in the water!!!

Would it be too much to ask for a personal response? from someone who knows what's ACTUALLY happening in terms of progress?

Also, to the PS Customer Service/Support team: What are you doing about those users who DON'T know about the Blog, or the forum, and who DON'T go on the PlayStation website for updates, and who haven't subscribed to any e-mail newsletters?

There'll be a heck of a lot of people, most likely, who are in that situation, and are completely unaware of what's going on other than the fact that the PlayStation Network got hacked....?!

I've seen NO effort to communicate to those people.
If I were in charge of customer service, all those updates that were posted on the blog, and on the news section of the site would've been sent out in mass e-mails to ALL PSN users, regardless of e-mail preferences.

I would also have kept people very much so "in the loop" as to what was going on and what the processes were. There is NOTHING worse than lack of information in situations like this...

and I guess that's what this whole post is about!

I apologise for the length of this post and I know it will likely not even get a response, but I really needed to air my views on this whole thing because it's just becoming a joke.

A really...really... bad joke that's NOT funny.
LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel
/16

dLemonSkunk

22%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
dLemonSkunk
Accepted Solution

I got my free games, but all the games that I previously bought will not work due to error 80029515 and to make things worse my super stardust hd(full game bought with expansions) got an update which has installed the DEMO version of the game. Fixed my ar*se, where are my bloddy games, this is a croc of sh*te, just to finish off the good rant above aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggghhhhhhhh.

0 Kudos

Re: I need to rant: PSN? FIXED? JOKE? (and more)

/16

eyepwnjew

52%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
eyepwnjew
Accepted Solution
Forget the errors, half the countries across the world do not have a PS store, and half of them can't get their accounts back because Sony banned us from resetting our passwords.

PlayStationStore is not available in the selected country or region.

Doesn't seem fair and caring to me.
0 Kudos

/16

davies92

22%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
davies92
Accepted Solution

0 Kudos

/16

Tribble6

92%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Tribble6
Accepted Solution

When Sony rebuilt the PlayStation Network / Store, they should have ideally built in a feature that only allows a manageable number of users onto their systems and therefore ensured that these users could use the services error free. Assuming this was feasible, this would of allowed for the fact that Sony can't be expected to build (and pay for) a system that can cope with short-term, huge demand from the Welcome Back Package.

Users who don't make it onto the system should be getting a message along the lines of "The PlayStation Store is currently running at 100% capacity and to ensure the current users receive the high quality experience you expect from Sony, no more users can connect at this time. Please try back later.".

0 Kudos

ThinkPad T61 (2GB / 2.4GhZ dual core),
PS3 (256MB), PS2 (32MB), PS1 (2MB)
Commodore Amiga (512k), Amstrad PC-1512 (512k --> 640k + Nec-v30),
Atari 800XL (64k), Atari 400 (16k), Commodore Vic-20 (3.5k).

The PlayStation 3 Internet Browser Thread
/16

Seanio15

57%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Seanio15
Accepted Solution

Wasn't expecting 30+ responses!

Glad I'm not the only "quiet one" getting frustrated now.

Let me first reply to all as a whole, by saying, while I've been out to dinner with family, I've been told that apparently Sony (apparently PSN) was hacked AGAIN yesterday, due to the announcement that things were back up and running (go figure), so perhaps this is a reason for everything going belly up for some of us today?

If that is the case, then I'll retract certain elements of my "rant". However, I did suggest in the original post, that a "partial restoration" is as much good as a monkey's left testicle.

I don't yet know if this supposed subsequent hacking is true or not, but that's what I've been told.. (apparently it was on the BBC news website yesterday?) Can anyone verify this?

Now.. on to individual replies:

@ Maverik-Iceman and  Northy_UK

Glad you both agree.

@ Maverik-Iceman  It's not so much about being impatient to download games, for me, I'm not that bothered about that.. I'm just growing antsy about there not being full service yet, after nearly 2 months. And with them being one of the world's largest gaming services, I would've expected a better apology than "If you can figure out how to do it, have 2 free games and some temporary stuff for 30 days, on us." !!! lol (P.S I agree on the Man Utd thing in your sig too!)

@ Domiiinatrix I can see you're just one of those people who argues for the sake of arguing, so I'll not give you much thought other than, if I edited anything in my post, I formatted for an easier read and perhaps ADDED a line or two. Nowhere in my post did I imply that my "experience" would be of any use to Sony whatsoever.

I can guarantee they would have people better than me at dealing with network issues. I merely noted that I had been involved in fixing network issues for a games company in the past, and as such, I didn't think it should take 2 months to deal with this particular problem. And as for the e-mail stating to "watch the blog", all I'll say is, do you really think 77 million people will have read the entire content of that e-mail? Obviously many of us did, but many of us won't have; we're not all the same age, we're not all of the same intellect, and an additional factor is many of us may have blocked access to those websites. These things are all entirely possible. You don't know everyone's situation, so don't be so ignorant.

@ davies92 I agree ENTIRELY with your blank post. I actually think that should've been my opener...

@ force74 Agreed. Agreed. AGREED.

@DNAtlantic I realised after that I'd called it a rant.. It's unlikely you've met me on any other forums, but I'm known for speaking up on certain issues and .. well... my posts are often called rants, rather than opinions.. I won't lie. :smileytongue:

I'm also known as Captain Essay.

@ McNeilio I didn't want them to get the Store back up and running as quickly as possible; I wanted them to get it back up and running properly. There's a big difference. The "quick fix" leaves them susceptible to further attacks and CLEARLY generates further frustration amongst the community. The "correct fix" is to do it properly the first time round, take as long as it takes, but keep the community informed, right up to the minute; instead of posting on the blog every 3-4 days to say "we're working on it... keep waiting". - That information is useless to anyone.

And yes, IF this is all down to 77 million of us trying to get on at the same time, and IF Sony expected it, like many others did, then yes, I would've expected them to have some protocol put in place, wherein they would not allow the servers to become overwhelmed with demand (and it's pretty easy to do that!).

What people DON'T need is random error codes popping up which give no useful information to the end user whatsoever, other than for reporting, which, if 77 million of us do, won't be useful to ANYONE.

@ force74 EXACTLY my point.  Useful information goes a long way, even if it's just a simple one liner. Keep the users in the loop.. It's not that much to ask. Error codes do nobody but the Sony techies any favours.

@ Tribble6 Yes indeedy. As I just said above. Bingo. SOME kind of manageable protocol should've been put in place to not allow the servers to become overwhelmed (which often forces a shutdown of service anyway), and to let the end user know WHY they can't access certain things at the moment. And if they REALLY cared, they'd invest in a queueing system, wherein they could not allow access immediately, but if the user stayed on that particular error screen, it would queue them for the next available access slot (recognised by the server as free bandwidth of equal proportion to the end user's download speed), and give an estimated time countdown.

It's nothing that hasn't been done before. It's just something I think they've overlooked. They've tried to fix the back bones of the system, rather than the user experience during technical difficulties. It's becoming clearer and clearer that during unprecedented situations, Sony are completely unprepared for how to deal with consumer reactions and how to keep customer satisfaction at an optimum level.

It's not difficult, it's just that these protocols etc. don't come cheaply... Fact is though, Sony has the cash to splash on these things, so I simply ask WHY it's not been done?

Doesn't exactly bode well for my confidence regarding this so-called "updated security"... I wouldn't exactly have enlisted the services of Symantec to sort out security either! *facepalm*

I'll skip McNeilio and Tribble6's off topic bit

@ force74 Took the words outta my keyboard... (since I'm not using my mouth) ... bad joke? Okay, I'll move on...

I'll skip the next response, 'cos It's not worth the obviously impending argument if I do respond to that.. and the off topic reply..

okay... next

@ GhostDog369 I'll tell you right now, I'm no master of network issues. I said I worked with them. Also, nowhere does anything say anything's "broken" OR "busy". There are just numerous error codes. And before anyone pipes up.... NO. Not all error codes mean the same thing to everyone.

Error codes for Sony will most likely be completely different error codes for the company I worked for.

There ARE some universal PlayStation error codes, that all games companies are aware of, and obviously need to try and avoid! ha. But these aren't those. These error codes are exclusive to Sony, because.....

can anyone guess?

It's the SONY PlayStation Network!

next one that's not repeating anything already said....?

@ Muttykins No, it wouldn't; not if they included error "messages" as opposed to error "codes". If the end users were all made aware of what the situation was as they arrived at it, I can almost guarantee, a whole load less people would be complaining or "ranting".

@ Ew_Tux PRIME example of someone who wouldn't have a clue what the error codes meant. I'm not surprised your son panicked. I would've done too, if I saw a scary error code when I was a kid. I'd be of the mind that I'd broken the PlayStation, or worse! As naïve as it sounds to say that.. THAT'S what kids are like though! They're KIDS! lol

Sorry to point out the obvious to those who don't get that... haha. We're not all over 18, and we're not all smart enough.. Even some who ARE over 18 STILL aren't smart enough...

@Xboy001 Who said anyone was blaming Sony for anything to do with the hacking?!? All I blame them for is poor customer satisfaction and support during this "difficult time". As I've said though, I do think, IF server overloads are the current problem (which I think is only part of the current problem), then Sony could've done a better job at anticipating this.

PHEW!

Okay, I think that's everyone covered, other than those who basically just repeat what I've previously said, or am saying now! :smileytongue:

0 Kudos

/16

Domiiinatrix

92%
06 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Domiiinatrix
Accepted Solution

(apparently it was on the BBC news website yesterday?) Can anyone verify this? 

Maybe the BBC could? just a thought ;)

0 Kudos

SoDomi non sapiens Image and video hosting by TinyPic
/16

scarycharacter

80%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
scarycharacter
Accepted Solution

Seanio15 wrote:

I don't yet know if this supposed subsequent hacking is true or not, but that's what I've been told.. (apparently it was on the BBC news website yesterday?) Can anyone verify this?

edit Ooops already posted, sorry

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
"This is scarycharacter, for News at Ten. Inside The Official Playstation Forum"
Award Winner
/16

PatC_PSN

• Award Winner
80%
12 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
PatC_PSN
Accepted Solution

Seanio15 wrote:

I don't yet know if this supposed subsequent hacking is true or not, but that's what I've been told..

Then you were right to immediately post it in an internet forum, just in case. That's the way it works here.

At least it meant there was one point that hasn't been made here a hundred times already.

0 Kudos

/16

TTDegs

93%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
TTDegs
Accepted Solution
To pick up on just one of the points for the moment - error messages.

And ignoring the comments about "how easy it would be to limit the number of people accessing the Store at once" (Really? Easy? Do you have a T-Shirt that says "Been There, Done That" because if you do, there is a space in my (NON-Sony!) network team with your name potentially on it...)

Anyho - error messages.

Purely from anecdotal evidence, it would appear that when PSN (or the PS3 itself) encounters a problem, it generates a short error code.
Rightly or wrongly, since day one, there has been no translation of this code into [select language of choice here].

To do the translation would require that the PS3 held that translation table locally. In ALL languages.
And an updated table would need to be included in every firmware update. Making the firmware bigger.
(Yes, locally, for PS3s not connected to PSN)

within the firmware, instead of a simple "display the code", you would need to do the translation lookup, and display the result instead.

Possibly not the biggest piece of coding in the world, and possibly not the hugest table of data either - but neither are inconsequential, and would have taken a shed load of time to test.
Without even thinking about the time it would take to get all the error messages signed off by Legal, Marketing, IT yada yada yada.

Nice to have?
Yes.

As important to sort out as getting PSN back up in the first place?
Nope.

Just my 2p, as ever :)

* YLOD? * *PSN Connection Problems?* *Blu Ray Problems

And we weren't even testing for that.. :Thumbs:

/16

Daddio2001

25%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Daddio2001
Accepted Solution

Well put Seanio15.  I am a new user to PS, I obviously couldnt have timed it any worse.  I am still experiencing problems with areas of the site being 'under maintenance' and the inability to actually contact somebody at Sony who can say what the hell is going on and let me know what to do is completely infuriating!

The PS3 we have just bought is for the kids .... I think I'll stick with my trusty xbox!

0 Kudos

/16

czakalwe

22%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
czakalwe
Accepted Solution

I am a similar PS3 user not used to complaing but I totally agrea with Seanio15 . 

After the hassle of changing my stolen credit card with new one, thanks SONY.

I used network play lots before this so to get through the last two months I bought a new PS3 game. Instead of the cheap half hearted effort of welcome back freebies I would like to be able to send the reciept for my PS3 new game to Sony and they send me a full refund or (easier for them) credit my PlayStation store for that amount.

Then I really wouldn't mind waiting so long for everything to get back to normal and play call of duty online again.

Don't suppose anyone at SONY actually cares though!

0 Kudos

/16

shnigysgirl

24%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
shnigysgirl
Accepted Solution
I have tried everything to get help with my problem, and no help. I can't get on my MW3 online, internet works everywhere else. Can you help me please.
0 Kudos

View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel