PSN General

02 Jun 2012
By: Aswang32

1 Posts

Moving Country

3 Replies 650 Views Created 03-06-2012

Ill be leaving the UK in a few weeks and moving to Asia, and i was wondering if i can still use my original UK account and the credit i still have remaining once im in another country? Also can i use a foreign credit card to top up my PSN or does it have to be a UK card?

If i have to create another account in the country i live, what happens to my existing trophies, do i keep them or have to re-earn them?

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 4 (650 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Re: Moving Country

I'm not certain what the official line is and from quite a bit of web-searching I'm not sure anyone does, it seems companies like Sony don't realise that people move countries, but here's my experience.

Since owning my PS3 I've lived in a few countires, my PS3 was bought in the UK and all my account id and credit cards have just stayed as British. I always kept a UK credit card, I also kept a UK address and just left everything set up for the UK. I'm now back in the UK, but one of the places I moved to was Hong Kong and there I had no problems at all buying UK store products with my UK cards and details, I never bothered to get a HK PSN id, if you get a new id for the new region or country you are in, your trophies will not carry over.

There were 2 main problems that arose from this, firstly you really have to keep buying your games from UK stores and get them shipped over. Because of game region restrictions if you don't do this, dlc and other things won't work. Just to be clear, don't buy Asian games, unless you don't care about online gaming or dlc. The second issue was sticking wth a UK PSN meant that I was playing online connecting with European gamers and servers, some games were fine, but others became unplayable online due to lag and connection issues.

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 4 (631 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 11

Probably the best thing to do is create a second user profile and create an asian PSN account. 

Use your current account as usual then use the second account for future purchases, DLC and online passes etc. 

The majority of purchases should work across both accounts so you should be able to carry on with your current account. 

SneezeSneeze
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 4 (629 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

I use my UK PSN profile in Hong Kong, when I'm at my flat there. It's funded by a UK card, and - as long as the games support Euro-based DLC (ie: not bought in SE Asia), then I've not had problems.
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 4 (600 Views)
0 Kudos