PSN General

31 Jan 2009
By: Nakatomi_Uk Member 527 Posts
Level 3

Netgear Routers - PS3 + DMZ Set-Up Guide

[ Edited ]
7 Replies 7496 Views edited 31-01-2009

Right this is a small guide of how to set-up a DMZ for your PS3 and to link it to always have the same address that you enter in the DMZ a step by step guide so here goes. To my knowledge all Netgear Router/Modems have this option I do know the DG834G V3 & DG834GT have this so I can't gurantee all have it.

1) Log into your netgear router with your user name and password.

2) Once in scroll down to the option LAN IP SET-UP

3) At the bottom there's a section called Address Reservation select that.

4) Click on ADD and it will bring up all the connected hardware via it's IP and MAC address go into NETWORK SETTINGS on your PS3's XBM and select Connection Status.

5) Locate the IP address and it should be in the list shown in your routers attached hardware select that box in your routers set-up page and then provide a name "PS3" for example.

5) Once done click add and it will of take you back to the previous page and will now have the PS3 in the list and a reservation of that address this means that MAC address will always get that IP address no matter if any other PC connects before it via wireless.

6) Now select the option WAN Setup

7) Enable the feature DMZ and enter your PS3's last 2 digits in the box and click apply.

You've now successfully enabled your PS3 to pass through a DMZ server which basically means your PS3 is not being filtered through the hardware firewall. Your PC(s) and Laptops(s) are still secure with the encryption you have set-up.

Note: I recently just bought a DG834G V3 router for a friend to get her online for her PS3 I have a DG834GT (which its current FW 1.20.16 works fine may I add) but there is a problem with the V3 and encryptions higher than WEP. I recently downgraded the V3 from 4.01.28 to 4.01.20 in order to fix the higher security issue this is because she had a PC and a laptop and WEP is not the best encryption downgrading as enabled me to now use WPA a much better encryption and the whole network is better secured. I have been to the official netgear website and the V3's 4.01.37 firmware apparently fixes the issue but I have stayed at .20 because I know it works.

I hope this comes to some use.

Message Edited by Nakatomi_Uk on 31-01-2009 12:27 AM
Message Edited by Nakatomi_Uk on 31-01-2009 12:36 AM
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 8 (7,496 Views)
0 Kudos

Re: Netgear Routers - PS3 + DMZ Set-Up Guide

Id say you helped a lot of people out with that detailed guide to the nightmare that is ps3 and netgear put together but unfortunately IM the one who has tried every sort of a thing but still no joy.Did everything to the letter had figured the IP address prob but then when I get to internet connection it comes up as failed..

its netgear wgr614v6 IM using and it so frustrating cos i know im so close and i know your tip has me even closer!!any more tips or links to something that could help me would be greatly appreciated.

keep up the good work!!us newbie's need all we can get!!

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 8 (7,408 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

mahohall wrote:

Id say you helped a lot of people out with that detailed guide to the nightmare that is ps3 and netgear put together but unfortunately IM the one who has tried every sort of a thing but still no joy.Did everything to the letter had figured the IP address prob but then when I get to internet connection it comes up as failed..

its netgear wgr614v6 IM using and it so frustrating cos i know im so close and i know your tip has me even closer!!any more tips or links to something that could help me would be greatly appreciated.

keep up the good work!!us newbie's need all we can get!!

have you got the dns and default dns of your router? i think when i did it had to use them aswell and not the ip address alone.

but if you have already reserved an ip for your ps3 you can just forward all the psn ports to that ip addressyou have reserved.

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 8 (7,395 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

nice post up top! so what does dmz actually improve then? i mean, im lucky with good speeds anyway but if it'll improve my connection even more then i'll do it. i've got the 834gt too so i will follow the guide if you think its worth while?
JOIN THE REVOLUCION
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 8 (7,357 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

JayGT5 wrote:
nice post up top! so what does dmz actually improve then? i mean, im lucky with good speeds anyway but if it'll improve my connection even more then i'll do it. i've got the 834gt too so i will follow the guide if you think its worth while?

A DMZ basically means that your PS3 will be outside your firewall - plugged straight into the internet. 

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 8 (7,354 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Excellent! Just configured it and it's all set up! Should i benefit now from a smoother connection now its obviously bypassing the firewall? I've got a good connection anyway so hopefully this will help even more!
JOIN THE REVOLUCION
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 8 (7,243 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

someone should say that its recommended that you do not put your PC into DMZ. I have a DG834pn and i dont need to put my PS3 into DMZ. If your having problems with wireless and Netgear use a cable. Its so so so so much better than wireless DMZ or not

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 8 (7,220 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Strange, i have a DG834G v3 and have never put my ps3 in DMZ. Always make sure you have the latest firmware and make sure Upnp is enabled in the router settings, everything should be fine, never had any probs.
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 8 (7,212 Views)
0 Kudos