Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post

PSN+ Boycott

[ Edited ]
142 Replies 2,417 Views edited 25-06-2010

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2010/06/23/playstation-plus-explained/

I've never felt strongly enough to warrant wanting to boycott something. However, I feel absolutely disgusted by the PSN+ service explained on the Playstation Blog.

The content is old, everyone who wanted it has the content (not just a few months, but 2-3 years in some cases). Also, the LBP game they give to you has NO DLC included. You'd think that to sweeten the deal, they would have included the complete edition.

There is are only a select few scrapings from the bottom of the PSN store barrel on offer

Games are rented, to be removed if you unsubscribe

There is NOTHING exclusive

They expect £40 a year for games and content that are past their sell by date and minis (who plays these little stink nuggets that infect the store so?)

It doesn't seem to be aimed at anybody at all. Hardcore gamers have the few decent games offered. New gamers go away with a bad impression of PSN games, especially if they see those minis.

Anyway I won't labour the point, but I'd like to see who is as disgusted by a service I was all for till I saw the first two months content.

Not to be just pessimistic, how about throwing in some (realistic) suggestions to show Sony the "error of their ways"

Thanks to green_shorts for the heads up BTW

LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel
/16

YauOrigiN

92%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
YauOrigiN
Accepted Solution

I agree,

I find the LBP gift pointless for most people who have it already, I rather have the 3 free months.

I believe Sony's strategy is flawed they shouldn't be offering games and dlc which have already been released because most people who wanted them would have got them already whilst people who didn't want them wouldn't want them anyway.

So now I'm currently on the fence as to whether £40/year is worth it for just the automatic downloads and early betas and demos

Re: PSN+ Boycott

[ Edited ]
Beta Tester
/16

mattsimmo

• Beta Tester
95%
12 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
mattsimmo
Accepted Solution
let people make their own mind up. sure there will be some who don't want it but plenty that will and will enjoy the service. they only announced the 1st 2 months, you don't have to sign up straight away i you don't want to, just wait and see what further months bring.

why talk of a boycott, just don't pay for it if you don't like it. I don't buy mushrooms, not to boycott them, I just don't like them :)

/16

csi69

69%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
csi69
Accepted Solution
i cant see the point in paying £40 for this, come on, so what if you can wake up the ps3 in the night. i dont want wakin up,loli can download updates before i go to work,,, sorry no hard sell sony, i need a bit more than these offerings to get me to give you £40,, make it worth the while

if at first you dont get a kill,find him again and do it rite next time
/16

JakeT111

89%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
JakeT111
Accepted Solution
I would never pay for PSN+, total waste of money. I don't want minis that I have no interest in or demo access a few days / week earlier.
0 Kudos

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.youtube.com/user/JakeT111x
/16

Malacath360

51%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Malacath360
Accepted Solution

JakeT111 wrote:
I would never pay for PSN+, total waste of money. I don't want minis that I have no interest in or demo access a few days / week earlier.

It's not only minis and demos. There are currently 2 full games to download.

Little big planet and Wipout HD.

If you don't own either of those games then you basically get most of your moneys worth there.

0 Kudos

Raptr Forum Signature
/16

Sjthjs

88%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Sjthjs
Accepted Solution

With hindsight, maybe calling for a boycott is too strong a reaction. I am just so annoyed that a service with so much potential has started out so poorly, with no exclusive content and a bunch of minis and bottom of the barrel PSN games.

However this thread has certainly got tongues wagging, so its certainly a topic that people feel strongly about.

0 Kudos

/16

dylanireland

98%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
dylanireland
Accepted Solution
I taught the hour game trials would be on games such as Call of duty, medal of honour, need for speed, heavy rain etc :(
I already have 4 things that they are giving away on the first month :/ Why cant it be new games and add ons for games on stuff that came new on the store in that month? not just old games that game out a while back, or mix them up abit like.
If sony was really smart, they wouldnt of released what they are giving away each month- to let it go as a suprise until the day you are able to download them as people wont get a subscription until a month looks like a months that they get their money worth of games etc

Beta Tester
/16

Balflearspgc

• Beta Tester
90%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Balflearspgc
Accepted Solution

Sign it up to ask Guerrilla to add online cooperative to Killzone 3!
http://www.petitiononline.com/kz3ocoop/petition.html
Beta Tester
/16

MusterBuster

• Beta Tester
92%
09 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
MusterBuster
Accepted Solution

Can I just point out that you're intending to boycott a product which lasts a year, based on the content which will be released in the first 2 months!?

The content you're referring to is not even 1/6th of the service you pay for.

If you don't like the content on offer for the first 2 months, just wait until something comes along which you do like! Certainly, vote with your wallet. But influencing other people's decisions by starting a boycott is a bit strong ;)

Also, this forum is full of hardcore gamers. I don't think that the expectation is for you guys to buy it immediately, the initial content is probably more aimed at new/casual gamers :)

MB

[ Edited ]
/16

flowrider

92%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
flowrider
Accepted Solution

MusterBuster wrote:

Can I just point out that you're intending to boycott a product which lasts a year, based on the content which will be released in the first 2 months!?

Also, this forum is full of hardcore gamers. I don't think that the expectation is for you guys to buy it immediately, the initial content is probably more aimed at new/casual gamers :)

MB

I agree its a bit strong to start a Boycott but based on the first 2 months announced content it is Not good value for money in my opinion, and unless it improves over the coming months I will also vote with my wallet by not subscribing. The only way they can even come close to making more people happy is by offering some CHOICE of content and discounts because you could go several months without a single thing being offered in PSN+ being of use or interest to you. And don't you think that Sony should be trying to impress the hardcore community because if they like it and are impressed with it and talking about how good it is more casual users are likely to take an interest? Just a thought.

Beta Tester
/16

TalllPaul

• Beta Tester
97%
11 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
TalllPaul
Accepted Solution
1- Boycotts never work
2- Grow up you dont need to get PSN+

Thinking about it i might boycott my phone company cos the contract only gives me 100 minutes free, but i want more than 100 minutes.

/16

YauOrigiN

92%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
YauOrigiN
Accepted Solution

The boycott is a bit much, I'm just annoyed at some of Sony's choices.

1) The LBP gift, why can't Sony just offer the free 3 months? It would satify everyone whether they have LBP already or not, it is such an easy decision to make, 'free 3 months for every region'.

2) Why can't we have a choice from a selection of games and dlc, new and old, each month? Again it would satisfy more people giving a choice yet Sony decide not to do this, why?

The main problem is the fact that Sony's choices just aren't satisfying everyone but if they make these easy changes it would do.

/16

flashv3

92%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
flashv3
Accepted Solution

Boycott? What's the point? It isn't as if its mandatory. I'm sure you'll have heads up on coming content so you can subscribe when and where your desired content becomes available.

[ Edited ]
Beta Tester
/16

DANTE234

• Beta Tester
98%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
DANTE234
Accepted Solution

You are not forced to buy it, i'm not getting it straight away as i almost have everything on that list, boycott's never work anyway

/16

Sackbots

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Sackbots
Accepted Solution
Boycott or no boycott, psn+ is not for me, I have nearly everything they are offering in the first 2 months and the rest i would not buy anyway, so paying £40 for that and what will probably be 10 more months like it seems just a big waste of money.

Photobucket
/16

TTDegs

93%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
TTDegs
Accepted Solution
Boycots normally involve people waving banners, and empty oil drums as bonfires don't they?
Perhaps we should camp outside the Sony PSN sever farm - wherever that is! :)

Seriously though, voting with your wallet it the only real option :)

Whilst PSN+ might not be quite what many people wanted or expected - so far - at least credit should be given to Sony for publishing in advance what you could be buying.

And regards the 'choices of games to have free' - yes, again it might be disappointing that - again, at the moment - they are older games.

But look at it from sony's point of view for a moment.
You pay £40 per year, and can download a free choice of games.
Let's face it, most people would go for the new ones.
Which would total about £200 to buy.
But you've only paid £40.

I'm not sure that I can see that happening

So no, I won't be boycotting PSN+
just not subscribing to it - yet :)

* YLOD? * *PSN Connection Problems?* *Blu Ray Problems

And we weren't even testing for that.. :Thumbs:

/16

SolidLore

48%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
SolidLore
Accepted Solution

What gets to me is not the content in question but the entire concept of PSN+. The majority of PS games I've played online I've noticed dc/s or large amounts of latency, how much of this is to blame on the development of the game and how much is to blame on PSN I'm unsure, regardless it still reflects poorly on PSN.

When PSN started to release 'premium themes' I started to get worried. These themes don't really ADD all that much except make something look a little bit prettier, and majority of the time only mildly. I knew however it'd be a step towards a subscription service.

The main benefit that PS3 had over the 360 was that in the long run you'd pay less. You'd already have a blue ray player, you'd already have the HDMI connection and most of all you wouldn't be wasting your money on a machine that it's entire purpose is to play games, which naturally includes online games.

I do not like the idea of PSN+ at all, it seems more and more like a feature creep and we'll all be forgotten in the pursuit of more money. That's my 2 cents. I'm hoping a year from now it doesn't become a 'I told you so' moment.

/16

ZOMB13-R4NG3R

80%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
ZOMB13-R4NG3R
Accepted Solution

TTDegs wrote:
Sony PSN sever farm

now thats funny... with the way how well PSN works (sometimes it amazes me its still working)... it more like the Sony PSN Server Shed... :Lol:
btw: as others have said... just dont buy it, nor anything else off PSN for at least a year... then it might (at a push) be worth a look... ;)

[ Edited ]

All this will be lost in time... like tears in rain...Photobucket
/16

ville_valo400

79%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
ville_valo400
Accepted Solution

Haha isn't that a surprise

--------------------------------------------------

One, two,three fuar!!!!
/16

BloodOfScotland

75%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
BloodOfScotland
Accepted Solution

Lol I dont see the point in boycotting somthing that is optional, I mean PS+ isnt being forced on the masses is it?

I personally opted to go with PS+ not just because it will benfit me in the long run because I have only evenr downloaded two PS Store games, but also to show my support to Sony and the PS3.

Sony have given me hours upon hours of entertainment with the PS3, they have given me a free to play online world where I have also met alot of friends, all thanks to my PS3.

So yeah If Sony can take the money from PS+ and use it to help improve the PS3 and PSN then im in.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel