23 Nov 2008
By Arrold
Beta Tester
Playstation Staff

PSN Friends List Problem

10 Replies 927 Views Created 23-11-2008

Hi,

I've had a problem with my friends list tonight, I was in a CoD game with someone so I knew he was online but my friends list on the xmb was showing him as offline, it wasn't displaying his PSN avatar or saying how long since last logged in.
It was also showing only about 6 people online when just before then there's been more than double that.
Having looked down my list it turns out that more than 50 people on my list were showing as being in exactly the same state, no PSN avatar & no last logged in time.

I thought I was the only one with the problem so I deleted all the affected users and started to try and re-add them, I tested whether it would let me add them again but it wouldn't.

I played around with my router for half hour or so and tested it again and it let me add people again.

The first test request I sent still wasn't letting my mate accept it, so I deleted that one and sent it again and it worked.

I just had to send out 50+ requests to get everyone back on my list and have learned in the mean time that I'm not the only one who's friends list seems to have had this problem over the past couple of days, a few others are now saying that they see quite a few people in their list without a PSN avatar & showing no last logged in time.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11 (927 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Re: PSN Friends List Problem

I've had exactly same problem mate,thought my 60gb was on i'ts way out!! MY browser is playin up as well dont know if yours is? seems ever since COD5 update?
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11 (927 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

I don't tend to use my browser on the PS3 much, in what way is it playing up ?

This happened to me somewhere between 8-10pm tonight, noticed it at 10pm when it seemed awful quiet on my list for a Saturday night.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11 (925 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

I've had this too, i had to turn my system on and off a few times for it to work. Even then there were 1 or 2 that weren't showing online.
Photobucket
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11 (915 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 7

Playstation Staff

This happens to me as well but also sometimes my a message comes up in the corner of screen sayin (CAM11 offline) then 3 seconds later (CAM11 online) and this repeats for about 10 minutes i have a 60gb and its usally 6:00pm-9:00pm the time it dose this.

pablologo
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11 (912 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Yeah, ive had to turn mine off also,seems allright after that mine started playin up yesterday.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11 (910 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

It's just happened to me again, dropped out of a CoD WaW game so that we could get our group back together and got a DNS error, signed out of PSN, tried to sign back in and got DNS error a few times then it worked, and now I've got a bunch of grey smiley faces instead of avatars.

I've got a March '07 60Gig machine, this happened at 01:35 ish.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11 (903 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

yeah same thing keeps happening to me and i've not got the new cod, I've noticed this problem since I downloaded the new system update 2.51 but resetting my ps seems to work although I shouldn't have to
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11 (899 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 7

Playstation Staff

This happened to as well. But sometimes my friends don't show up on my friends list, at first i thought they deleted me but when i reset my ps3 they where back on my friends list this happened when i updated my ps3 to 2.51.
pablologo
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11 (870 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

how is your browser acting ,my somtimes wont display pics and get red x any1 had this
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11 (851 Views)
0 Kudos