06 Jun 2012
By urgrue

Playstation Staff
Accepted Solution

PSN is charging my credit card without my consent!!!

10 Replies 2,526 Views Created 06-06-2012

I have automatic funding set to NO, and require password at checkout set to YES.

Yet somehow a few weeks back 100 euros was just added to my PSN Wallet. I didn't know what to think but now it's happened again, 57.05 euros added (bringing my wallet to a round 100 euros again...coincidence??)

I for damn sure didn't do it, and the only person at the PS3 at the time this happened was my 5-year old who cannot possibly know the password cause he can't even SPELL! Has he somehow stumbled upon a way to add money to the wallet that skips the password? I've gone through every menu and button and can't find any such option.

It's not a purchase, just money added to the wallet. Everywhere I look this demands a password. 

How is this happening? How do I stop it? Can I contact customer support somehow?

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11 (2,526 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 13

Playstation Staff

Re: PSN is charging my credit card without my consent!!!

Change password

Ring Sony for your country the number is in the back of a game manual.

Below is a Signature

Sony are stabbing their loyal family customers in the back - We have 3 PS3s and 3 PSPs all on the same IP address and all registered with Sony. Why can't we use them at the same time anymore?
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11 (2,522 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 9

Playstation Staff

You'll be amazed what 5yr olds can do now a days, but here you go, contact details:

http://community.eu.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-3-General-Discussion/Playstation-Support-Number-U...

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11 (2,519 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

Remove the C-Card, change passwords, and call Sony 0844 736 0595 UK.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11 (2,514 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Thanks to everyone for their replies.

I found the cause, which is that in PSN Store -> Checkout you can actually Add Funds without any password confirmation...!

I find this to be very broken design. 

In what use case would one want to block access to purchases but allow unverified credit card withdrawals to build up a ridiculous wallet balance? It just goes to show, the world needs to move on from this whole credit card concept to something more modern.

I've spent hundreds in PSN because it's so easy and convenient. Now I am forced to remove my credit card details from the PSN Store, which I'm absolutely sure will make me purchase less, since it means typing in piles of digits I don't remember by heart instead of a simple password. Oh well.

All security solutions should be beta-tested by a classroom of 5-year olds...if there's a flaw, they will find it!!

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11 (2,456 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

and also when you pay for anything what untill funds are added then remove card details account

if you want to remove card do the following on sign into ps3 then go to

into "account management" (above the "what's new" thing) then go into "account information" then go in to "billing information" (you may need to put your password in to do this) when your in "billing information" you can delete the assigned credit/debit card (should be a blue box in the bottom left).

to stop any further Debits then if you have online banking print out the date range unauthorised debits started highlight or underline all the psn payments are unauthrised then ring your bank one thing to remember is that family member may know the password and may not understand fully understand , if you report a fraud and the bank dosent find anything and you or them find out someone from your family has been accidently buying stuff from psn you may be charged if you have been hacked thru psn change password on the ps3

and while your on the phonr to the bank if they dont suggest changing your card to ask them to it will make your old card inactive 

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11 (2,427 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

ass said remove card details and only use a voucher for funds

urgrue wrote:

Thanks to everyone for their replies.

I found the cause, which is that in PSN Store -> Checkout you can actually Add Funds without any password confirmation...!

I find this to be very broken design. 

In what use case would one want to block access to purchases but allow unverified credit card withdrawals to build up a ridiculous wallet balance? It just goes to show, the world needs to move on from this whole credit card concept to something more modern.

I've spent hundreds in PSN because it's so easy and convenient. Now I am forced to remove my credit card details from the PSN Store, which I'm absolutely sure will make me purchase less, since it means typing in piles of digits I don't remember by heart instead of a simple password. Oh well.

All security solutions should be beta-tested by a classroom of 5-year olds...if there's a flaw, they will find it!!

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11 (2,426 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

game uk do card codes sent to your email adress

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11 (2,425 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

I appreciate there are ways to cope. I obviously will have to live with one of the above workarounds. Not that it's a huge catastrophe, but it annoys me a lot precisely because the ideal solution is so simple and obvious (require the password for any money transactions).

Frankly, it's so obvious that I suspect sony are being deliberately negligent here.  

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11 (2,401 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

I just ran across this, as MY six year old over drafted my wife's account 3 times in one day by making purchases. I was even accused of doing I until she caught him... SO, I enabled password at checkout and disabled auto funding, as this would obviously prevent his mischief from causing a divorce! Lol But the joke was on me, as YES, he just added $50 without making a transaction. This is ridiculous, and it won't make Sony money in the long run, as now I will take the credit card off the system. After that 50 is used, we will (out of laziness and aggravation) not want to enter it again, an our FREQUENT movie purchases/rentals will be done through Amazon, which requires a simple 5 digit pin and has fast, HD quality, movies and series in abundance. Sony: Put out an update and fix this before every customer with children stop using the PS Store. I imagine that demographic is responsible for a considerable chunk of your profit. Don't ruin a good thing over an easy fix. Maybe you could even make a section in the store especially for kids with special rules; parents could add funds for lower cost items and you could fill it with demos that get the kids hooked and then get mom and dad to buy the full version for them. Take a cue from Apple here... Send an email/alert announcing that you realized the issue and fixed it, along with promoting the new kid-friendly additions to appeal to that demographic. This is easy and smart: Make parents continue to fill your coffers now, and train the new generations to buy/play Sony for years to come. I don't want a divorce!
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11 (1,768 Views)
0 Kudos