31 Jul 2010
Playstation Staff

PlayStation Plus - Content Differences

44 Replies 1,633 Views Created 01-08-2010

First of all, sorry that my first post is going to appear like it's a rant, but let me start by saying that since I subscribed to PS+ a few days ago, I've actually been pretty happy with it.

The one thing I don't like though, is seeing the difference, and I mean a BIG difference, in the amount of content between PS+ in the UK, and PS+ in the US.

I've compared the UK content list for this first month with what is available on the US PS+ service up to now (they update weekly, and they still have another update to go before we roll to month 2, so the difference in content will be even greater). I found the list here. Comparing the two services, it seems that subscribers in the US get all of the content we do in the UK (with the exception of Destruction Derby, which seems to have been replaced with Rally Cross). However, they also get all of this extra content, too:

Free content
Critter Crunch
Syphon Filter
Kahoots
Warhawk Fallen Star Pack
Cuboid DLC
Magic Orbz DLC
Mahjong Tales Booster Pack
Qore Episode 26
MAG avatars
LBP avatar
Heavy Rain avatar

Discounted Games and DLC

Super Stardust HD + expansions
Gauntlet 2
Rampage
Rampart
Hamsterball
Gravity Crash
Echochrome
Resistance 2 Skin Pack
Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped
Super Street Fighter IV Avatar Pack

So this is basically a thread to ask, why the massive difference? We have FirstPlay in the UK, which would seem to me to be very similar to Qore, however, we don't get that for free with PS+. We also don't get the extra 2 minis, extra PSOne classic and countless extra DLC and price promotions that US customers get.

My main concern is, we're not even finished with the first month yet. What's the content gap going to be like when Plus has been around for a year? If it carries on like this, we could miss out on a whole lot of content that other subscribers will get, despite the fact that Plus is $50 in the US, and £40 ($62) in the UK. I'm not too worried about price though, more the principle that we're being asked to pay similar amounts for far less content.

Is this going to be rectified in subsequent months? I can only hope so, as like I said, although it may not seem so from this post, I actually do like Plus as a service. It just annoys me that we're not seeing a similar amount of value out of the service in terms of the content offered.

Hopefully this will be addressed in future updates.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 45 (1,633 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 10

Playstation Staff

Re: PlayStation Plus - Content Differences

Been like this for years on all content
Movies hit the EU later then the US
Reasons why ? easy

Loads of nations loads of issues to sort out before being released in the EU. Only way to solve this would be all use the same laws and english with the euro. That for all nations which are under the SCEE group.
Photobucket
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 45 (1,614 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

Yeah mate it sucks that the US is getting the royal treatment yet again while us europeans get shafted constantly. I hope they do change it but honestly this is Sony we are talking about. Your post is falling on deaf ears. The best thing to do is wait until your subscription expires and never renew it again. Thats what I'm doing. Speaking with your wallet is the only way companys take notice

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 45 (1,611 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

nerdlegend wrote:

Loads of nations loads of issues to sort out before being released in the EU. Only way to solve this would be all use the same laws and english with the euro. That for all nations which are under the SCEE group.

or just copy Microsoft on how they treat all nations equally the same & problem will be solved.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 45 (1,597 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

With respect to the opening poster, I thought myself that the differences between US and UK PS+ services would have been obvious, given the Europeans have and always will be treated as second class PS3 users in the eyes of Sony. Of course they'll quote localisation issues until they're blue in the face, but as Wiipass says, Microsoft manage it

I'm not a PS+ subscriber and tbh, I see absolutely no value in subscribing personally, even for our US cousins.

Why on earth are Sony offering free mini's and PS1 classics? I'd be willing to subscribe had the service come with PS2 classics and most certainly have subscribed if the service offered further functionality for my PS3 (party chat springs to mind) amongst others.

Redh3lix
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 45 (1,542 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 10

Playstation Staff

wiipass wrote:

nerdlegend wrote:

or just copy Microsoft on how they treat all nations equally the same & problem will be solved.

Sadly

Xbox live is supported in even less nations then PSN. So less nations have stores which is why they get more equal content

Devil in the detail

Photobucket
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 45 (1,523 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

Honest question here...

Out of all the US content offered at discount as "extras" on their PS+, how many of those have also been on heavy offer (either temporary or permanent) in the EU region?

Magic Orbz I picked up last month for the same prices as the US PS+ offer. Joast, Gauntlet and Super Sprint have all taken a permanent price reduction in the EU recently too - down to about the amount the US PS+ are getting.

This is a very focused, narrow view of "Us Vs Them". It doesn't look at any kind of broader picture of the differences in the regions.

Yes, it's nice for the US that as a PS+ subscriber you get a lot more in the way of offers - but our "normal" EU PSN users have had those offers already and the US hasn't.

I'm sure it's not all like that, and the US have offers we have missed out on etc. However, I'm just saying that we really need to question the overall situation - not just look at the US PS+

I've already had the advantage of most of those US PS+ offers vefore PS+ started, why should I now be jealous the US are being offered what I was offered already as a normal use?

What we need, is somebody to go through all the deals over the last six months and see who ends up better. I'm pretty sure it's the US to be honest, but hell - they get free coffee refills in restaurants - I'm not suddenly going to complain about every restaurant in the UK ripping us off because they're not the same as America.

Each division works under a different economy and with different negotiating people with different localised divisions of different publishers. It's a nightmare to try and keep "a level playing field". However, the Sony way of business seems better arranged to encourage more freedom and support of new developers and publishers. I think the bigger picture is massively complex and we're looking too closely on one tiny bit and complaining.

My overall point will always be this:

If you bought PS+ in the EU, did it give you what was offered? If it did, you have no reason to complain, it got what you paid for. Being jealous of what is offered somewhere else doesn't make any difference. Life is tough, other people get more benefits than us, people in the US may well be jealous of our free healthcare ( PMSL ). You got what you paid for. If you didn't think it was value, you shouldn't have bought it.

------------------------------
"No man is exempt from saying silly things; the mischief is to say them deliberately."
- Michel de Montaigne

(Oh Crap. It's The Duke)
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 45 (1,461 Views)
Level 3

Playstation Staff

i have said this before on the eu blog, but sonys big excuse is we dont get as much content because as fast because of localisation which is fine for psn updates but plus is bunch of stuff that was already available on the store all they have done is reduced he price or changed it to free so there should be no difference in content.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 45 (1,456 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

Oh, and the OP is wrong. That's NOT the US's first month of PS+ - it's their second month.

The US are a week ahead in their PS+.

Just because people don't seem to realise this:

Last week's US PS+ releases were the first week of their SECOND MONTH'S WORTH OF CONTENT. The US is a week ahead of us on PS+

Maybe somebody will read that and finally understand, but I doubt it... :smileysad:

------------------------------
"No man is exempt from saying silly things; the mischief is to say them deliberately."
- Michel de Montaigne

(Oh Crap. It's The Duke)
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 45 (1,453 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

And this is why I didn't join Plus :Thumbs:

I knew this was going to happen, SCEA have advantages over everything. Store content, Home, Video Store. You name it..

Photobucket
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 45 (1,445 Views)
0 Kudos