04 Sep 2011
By Dr8k

Playstation Staff

Playstation Plus Multiple Accounts

6 Replies 7,383 Views Created 04-09-2011

No doubt a stupid question, but I'm hoping the obvious answer isn't correct...

My wife and I have our own PSN accounts and currently one PS3 which is for gaming and our media centre. We're looking at buying a second PS3 so that gaming can go on uninterrupted whilst the other watches a movie etc and so that we can play multiplayer games together etc. If we do this it would make Playstation Plus pretty attractive for us, as the online syncing of save games would mean we could move from one PS3 to the other as needed. However, it seems like a total waste to pay for two PlayStation Plus subscriptions - we don't need the game discounts etc twice, just the ability for both of our accounts to sync save games. Is it possible to do this without paying two full subscriptions? 

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7 (7,383 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 7

Playstation Staff

Re: Playstation Plus Multiple Accounts

Unfortunately not. Each account must have it's own sub for PS+ so you would need to pay twice.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Recent observations conclude that in this day and age common sense is a super power!
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7 (7,378 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Thanks for the reply Wrathchild68 -  I had a feeling that would be the answer :smileysad:

As a note to Sony - I'd be happy to pay more to enable this service on a second account, but paying the full price of playstation plus for two people is a bit excessive. If the regular sub is ~$70, I'd be happy to pay an additional $30 to sync a second accounts games....

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7 (7,370 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 13

Playstation Staff

not a bad idea that m8

Let the others come after us. We welcome the chase
Bill Struth 1875-1956
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7 (7,366 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

Dr8k wrote:

Thanks for the reply Wrathchild68 -  I had a feeling that would be the answer :smileysad:

As a note to Sony - I'd be happy to pay more to enable this service on a second account, but paying the full price of playstation plus for two people is a bit excessive. If the regular sub is ~$70, I'd be happy to pay an additional $30 to sync a second accounts games....

NO NO NO NO NO!! as long as the plus holders account is on the console, all profiles on that console can use plus content! my ps downstairs has my account on, so does the kids upstairs, i download plus stuff to both consoles every week, and the kids have never had a problem with any plus stuff while playing through their own profiles j ust remember to signb out of 1 before logging in the other when u download

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7 (7,327 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Hey LiamSully,

I think you misunderstood me so I'll clarify. I know that if I have a playstation plus account, I can download the relevant content (game demos etc) and that my wife can then access that content from her account. However, what I am really interested in is the automatic online backup/sync of save games. As I understand it, that will only happen for save games belonging to the account with playstation plus. The reason I want this is highlighted in following example:

I'm at home playing Killzone 3 (or whatever) in the lounge on the nice tv. My wife comes home  and really wants to watch something. I want to be able to save my progress, go into the bedroom (or wherever the second console is) and pick up where I left off because my save games have automatically synchronised with playstation plus.  

As I understand it - this does work, but each person who wants their save games to sync needs their own playstation plus subscription. So if I subscribe, I can do exactly what I have described. But if the roles were reversed and my wife needed to swap consoles to keep playing, she would need her own subscription. This sucks, because as you pointed out, we only need one subscription to get access to all the content, which means we would be paying an additional $80 for just the game sync service.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7 (7,321 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

lol yeah i missed the part on cloud saves, damn speed reading! i see ur point, only way it'd be worth paying 2 plus subs is if they were in dif regions (but thats not allowed so i'm obviously not advising you or anyone else to do that! )

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7 (7,304 Views)
0 Kudos