Reply
Level 5
 
Playstation Staff

Re: Slow Speeds


Farscape247 wrote:
my connection is 38Mbps down and 9.3Mbps up, tested on all pc's, phones, tabs. yet the ps3 still displays about 18Mbps on the test, i think the test is to quick and in now way a proper speed test.

 

 

Could you try something if you have the time ( i'm not near PS3's at min )

 

Do a test using the PS3 menu speedtest, then get the results. No would you be able to connect to the interent using the PS3 browser and get a speedtest from (( www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk ))? see what the difference is. ( to see if it gives the same results as above items )

Please use plain text.
Reply
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 20 (429 Views)
Reply
0 Kudos
Level 5
 
Playstation Staff

Re: Slow Speeds


strangeplaice wrote:
The PS3 has a pretty low speed Ethernet connector. 12MB is about the norm for a connection like yours.

Also, I'm jealous as mine is around 2MB. 12 would be a dream for me. *cries*


Really? How did you come to that conclusion if you don't mind me asking?

Please use plain text.
Reply
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 20 (429 Views)
Reply
0 Kudos
Level 13
 
Playstation Staff

Re: Slow Speeds

My PS3 PHAT has a eithernet port/card problems and does not get a decent connection. It is fine one wireless which I have in my bedroom and I get 30-40mb DL and 9mb upload(this is the ps3 esitimate from the test so it is not 100% acurate)

 

The Slim I have wired in my living room I get over 50mb download and 10mb upload (this is the ps3 esitimate from the test so it is not 100% acurate)

 

The Slim in the kids room gets about 25mb download and 8mb upload

(this is the ps3 esitimate from the test so it is not 100% acurate)

 

 

So the 12mb is a myth!

 

Below is a Signature



Sony are stabbing their loyal family customers in the back - We have 3 PS3s and 3 PSPs all on the same IP address and all registered with Sony. Why can't we use them at the same time anymore?
Please use plain text.
Reply
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 20 (426 Views)
Reply
0 Kudos
Level 13
 
Playstation Staff

Re: Slow Speeds


LittleBigDragonz wrote:

strangeplaice wrote:
The PS3 has a pretty low speed Ethernet connector. 12MB is about the norm for a connection like yours.

Also, I'm jealous as mine is around 2MB. 12 would be a dream for me. *cries*


Really? How did you come to that conclusion if you don't mind me asking?


I've yet to encounter a PS3 that reaches anywhere near the maximum speed on the line. The newer ones are better than the older ones, but they're not a selling point.

Please use plain text.
Reply
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 20 (422 Views)
Reply
0 Kudos
Level 13
 
Playstation Staff

Re: Slow Speeds


strangeplaice wrote:

LittleBigDragonz wrote:

strangeplaice wrote:
The PS3 has a pretty low speed Ethernet connector. 12MB is about the norm for a connection like yours.

Also, I'm jealous as mine is around 2MB. 12 would be a dream for me. *cries*


Really? How did you come to that conclusion if you don't mind me asking?


I've yet to encounter a PS3 that reaches anywhere near the maximum speed on the line. The newer ones are better than the older ones, but they're not a selling point.


my 80GB PHAT can get 30 to 40mb download speed from upstairs, downstairs it gets over 50mb download. Thats wireless speeds

 

The only reasion I have it upstairs is that i needed a wired conection downstairs for ad hoc PSP  and the port/card is knackerd so that was no good.

Below is a Signature



Sony are stabbing their loyal family customers in the back - We have 3 PS3s and 3 PSPs all on the same IP address and all registered with Sony. Why can't we use them at the same time anymore?
Please use plain text.
Reply
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 20 (420 Views)
Reply
0 Kudos
Level 5
 
Playstation Staff

Re: Slow Speeds

[ Edited ]

LittleBigDragonz wrote:

Farscape247 wrote:
my connection is 38Mbps down and 9.3Mbps up, tested on all pc's, phones, tabs. yet the ps3 still displays about 18Mbps on the test, i think the test is to quick and in now way a proper speed test.

 

 

Could you try something if you have the time ( i'm not near PS3's at min )

 

Do a test using the PS3 menu speedtest, then get the results. No would you be able to connect to the interent using the PS3 browser and get a speedtest from (( www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk ))? see what the difference is. ( to see if it gives the same results as above items )



ps slim 320gb wired direct to router, quick test shows 18Mb down with 3Mb up, through the web browser i get 28Mbps down and 9.7Mbps up, now here is the interesting bit, i turn the ps3 wireless and i get 38Mbps down and 9.8Mbps up through the browser and 4Mbps down and 3Mbps up on the quick test.

To Infinity and Beyond
Please use plain text.
Reply
0 Kudos
Message 16 of 20 (414 Views)
Reply
0 Kudos
Level 5
 
Playstation Staff

Re: Slow Speeds

[ Edited ]

Farscape247 wrote:

LittleBigDragonz wrote:

Farscape247 wrote:
my connection is 38Mbps down and 9.3Mbps up, tested on all pc's, phones, tabs. yet the ps3 still displays about 18Mbps on the test, i think the test is to quick and in now way a proper speed test.

 

 

Could you try something if you have the time ( i'm not near PS3's at min )

 

Do a test using the PS3 menu speedtest, then get the results. No would you be able to connect to the interent using the PS3 browser and get a speedtest from (( www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk ))? see what the difference is. ( to see if it gives the same results as above items )



ps slim 320gb wired direct to router, quick test shows 18Mb down with 3Mb up, through the web browser i get 28Mbps down and 9.7Mbps up, now here is the interesting bit, i turn the ps3 wireless and i get 38Mbps down and 9.8Mbps up through the browser and 4Mbps down and 3Mbps up on the quick test.


 

 

Thanks for doing that matey..

 

So would you say that you did encounter " Over " your maximum speed using the PS3? IE

.

(( your connection is 38Mbps down and 9.3Mbps up )) yet through using the PS3 system it gave you the same downstream speed, but a better upstream speed?

Please use plain text.
Reply
0 Kudos
Message 17 of 20 (408 Views)
Reply
0 Kudos
Level 5
 
Playstation Staff

Re: Slow Speeds


strangeplaice wrote:

LittleBigDragonz wrote:

strangeplaice wrote:
The PS3 has a pretty low speed Ethernet connector. 12MB is about the norm for a connection like yours.

Also, I'm jealous as mine is around 2MB. 12 would be a dream for me. *cries*


Really? How did you come to that conclusion if you don't mind me asking?


I've yet to encounter a PS3 that reaches anywhere near the maximum speed on the line. The newer ones are better than the older ones, but they're not a selling point.


 

Well you have today as someone on this thread got the same downstream with a better upstream using the PS3?

.

I get ( on router admin setting page ) 18190 kbps / 1958 kbps using PS3 i get ( 17.6 Mbps /  1.8 Mbps ) Very close and that's using Ethernet ( Phat model )

 

Please use plain text.
Reply
0 Kudos
Message 18 of 20 (406 Views)
Reply
0 Kudos
Level 5
 
Playstation Staff

Re: Slow Speeds

it all seems to vary massively, it is not a constant with the ps3.
To Infinity and Beyond
Please use plain text.
Reply
0 Kudos
Message 19 of 20 (394 Views)
Reply
0 Kudos
Level 6
 
Playstation Staff

Re: Slow Speeds

Hi guys,

 

In regards to the speed tests on the PS3, they can display a different speed to that of a PC speed test for instance due to the difference in where the information is being sent.

 

The test would essentially be measuring the speed of information down the line which can be dependant on the route it takes. So in some cases different speed test on the same PC may also display different results.

 

There are other factors such as time of day etc but the actual speed on the PS3 should not differ to that of a PC in terms of everyday usage, also when doing a speed test this is an estimate only.

 

If you do find that you have a good connection, however suffer connection/ speed issues with the PS3- other settings regarding the router etc may need to be looked at.

 

Rabid

 

 

Please use plain text.
Message 20 of 20 (384 Views)