Level 6

Playstation Staff

Re: So how comes you have to pay to back up your save games now?

Crusty is right, cloud saves have never been free and they will never be free ever.  It's the developers decision if they want their game saves copy protected or not.  You got 2 ways either get playstation plus or do a system backup via an external hard drive, they will save that way as well.  I'm afraid this is the future of gaming and eventually it will all go to cloud gaming after these next round of consoles

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 28 (362 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

What, you mean I have to buy my own usb stick? - Sony are a bunch of crooks!!!!!
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 28 (353 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

Memory cards for the PS1 & PS2 also... were not free if my memory serves me correctly... so... :smileyindifferent:

Please use plain text.
Message 13 of 28 (345 Views)
Level 5

Playstation Staff

i'm not fan of copy protected saves as well as op. i don't expect free cloud storage for those saves (i assume op did not expect it too). when sony provided possibility to copy protect savegames, it should've come with option to easily back them up. NO... i don't want free cloud storage. i just want to be able to backup my saves easily to usb stick like non-protected saves. why no "savegame backup/restore utility" which backs up ONLY savegames (with option back up all/protected only) and could restore them to any other ps3 (including protected saves). i don't mind sony using encryption to protect backup file.

cloud storage is nice option though. i might consider paying for it should sony introduce some ps- (or whatever they like to call it) service which includes ONLY cloud storage and nothing else.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 28 (334 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 11

Playstation Staff

Pacman_Ownage wrote:

Memory cards for the PS1 & PS2 also... were not free if my memory serves me correctly... so... :smileyindifferent:

I remember the official 8MB PS2 memory cards were £20 at one point but were a necessity. 

Today you can buy any plug-in USB memory stick for few quid with 1GB storage to last PS3's life cycle. 

One thing that needs clarifying for save back-up is the PS+ icon should only appear after selecting copy. 

People who see the PS+ icon in save data utility without prior knowledge may think you can only copy to PS+ which isn't true for most titles.

SneezeSneeze
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 28 (332 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 13

Playstation Staff

mont348 wrote:

Pacman_Ownage wrote:

I remember the official 8MB PS2 memory cards were £20 at one point but were a necessity. 

Today you can buy any plug-in USB memory stick for few quid with 1GB storage to last PS3's life cycle. 

One thing that needs clarifying for save back-up is the PS+ icon should only appear after selecting copy. 

People who see the PS+ icon in save data utility without prior knowledge may think you can only copy to PS+ which isn't true for most titles.

When Ps2 mem cards first came out they were £35 for 8MB:ScaredPumpkin:

Below is a Signature

Sony are stabbing their loyal family customers in the back - We have 3 PS3s and 3 PSPs all on the same IP address and all registered with Sony. Why can't we use them at the same time anymore?
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 16 of 28 (325 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

I think a few people are forgetting that the buying of an 8 Megabyte memory card was a one time purchase that you could infact copy your save games to and from and use on multiple consoles. You didnt have to pay fourty pound a year if I remember correctly..

I just want to be able to back up my save of Dark Souls and Demon souls. I'm not asking for world peace or the end of famine in third world countries, just to back them up so I dont have to start the games from scratch. It's not hard and I dont see why Sony have put a price tag on something so simple as this..

..And for christ sake I know you had to buy a Ps2 memory card, read the first part of my post...

For Sony to be able to hold you by the nuts over the sake of a game save is shocking. If you like that kind of thing then, erm, pay away I suppose?

I never thought gaming would get this tedious. It's meant to be fun, isnt it?

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 17 of 28 (305 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 13

Playstation Staff

drmorris79 wrote:

I think a few people are forgetting that the buying of an 8 Megabyte memory card was a one time purchase that you could infact copy your save games to and from and use on multiple consoles. You didnt have to pay fourty pound a year if I remember correctly..Not all game some were copy protected just like Ps3 game saves

I just want to be able to back up my save of Dark Souls and Demon souls. I'm not asking for world peace or the end of famine in third world countries, just to back them up so I dont have to start the games from scratch. It's not hard and I dont see why Sony have put a price tag on something so simple as this..Get onto the developer/publisher

Sony made it PS+ for a added insentive as already said

..And for christ sake I know you had to buy a Ps2 memory card, read the first part of my post...

For Sony to be able to hold you by the nuts over the sake of a game save is shocking. If you like that kind of thing then, erm, pay away I suppose?That's not Sony that is the developer publisher who locked the game saves

I never thought gaming would get this tedious. It's meant to be fun, isnt it?It's not tedius to be so tight and buy PS+ you won't regret it!

Below is a Signature

Sony are stabbing their loyal family customers in the back - We have 3 PS3s and 3 PSPs all on the same IP address and all registered with Sony. Why can't we use them at the same time anymore?
Please use plain text.
Message 18 of 28 (300 Views)
Level 4

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

Personally, I think we should get a small amount free. Google drive gives you like 5gb free. Yes, that can be used for film storage though which is why it is so large. When you pay, you get 16 TERABYTES! For the ps3, as it is only save data, we should get, say, 50mb free? Then if you pay you get access to the other 100mb!

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 19 of 28 (290 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

As for copy protection, why don't devs let the copy prote...

[ Edited ]

As for copy protection, why don't devs let the copy protected saves be copied but upon doing so, make the sensetive bits that they want to protect encrypted and unreadable? Problemo solved!:smileywink:

Edit - Urgh. Just typed this on ps3. Gave it a title by accident!

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 20 of 28 (287 Views)
0 Kudos