23 May 2011
Playstation Staff

Sony online just charged my credit card

10 Replies 1,271 Views Created 23-05-2011

What a cheek - I have not been online due to all the PSN outages / hacks. The store is still unavailable and I just noticed today that my credit card got charged about USD 10 a few days back:

2011-05-19  SONY ONLINE SERVICES INTER  R 77.00-

(Amount in South African Rand).

Perhaps this transaction is legitimate (I am a PSN+ member), but I would not have thought that Sony would have the cheek to debit my credit card after most of their services are still unavailable.

I have reported the transaction to my card company as it is really pointless to report this to Sony South Africa (support is non-existant).

Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11 (1,271 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 2

Playstation Staff

Re: Sony online just charged my credit card

thought all psn members were getting 30 days free trial, and psn plus members would get 30 days free, plus about another 4 weeks free (for every day psn was down). well the store may still be closed until the 30th or longer, so you should get about 6 weeks extra free! you sure it's not hackers with your card info. can't see why sony would be be charging yet, because there's no store for plus members to use. even then when it is back it should be free for a while. contact the nearest sony customer services. also change your card just to be safe.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11 (1,248 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 11

Playstation Staff

from what i've read in other threads, people are seeing money taken around this time for transactions prior to the outage - basically sony's system playing catchup.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11 (1,212 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

No it's not. Thats the same thing that come up on my hacked PayPal bill. Only that I know who it is because I linked all the everdence up, this being the latest:

Security firm F-Secure today disclosed that they have discovered a phishing site that's hosted on a Sony server in Thailand.

"Basically this means that Sony has been hacked, again," Mikko Hypponen, F-Secure's chief research officer, noted in the blog post. "Although in this case the server is probably not very important," he added.

News of the latest breaches come barely a month after Sony disclosed intrusions at its PlayStation Network and Sony Entertainment Online sites that compromised data on almost 100 million account holders.

via- h ttp :/ /ww w . se7ensi ns. com/for ums/top ic/494310-sony-give-up-you-have-been-hacked-again/  

I can only say that it's Singapore Thailand after racking this everdence up?

Carenaonli can now be linked as the perpetrator towards the PSN hacking's. I now have no doubt my PayPal got into by the same person after seeing after Thailand which links up with Singapore come up in the thread..

SONY THE EVERDENCE IS IN STONE PLEASE SORT IT OUT BY SENDING HIM TO COURT!!!!!

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11 (1,187 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

I don't think it is the case that Sony is doing catch-up. When I used to fund my PSN wallet, transactions appeared as "PLAYSTATIONR NETWORK" and the charge of USD 10 was not a PSN purchase/funding.

Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11 (1,162 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 11

Playstation Staff

if it doesn't fit in with anything you've purchased then you were indeed correct to contact your bank. cancel the card if you are concerned - that what I did when it all came out.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11 (1,074 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 13

Playstation Staff

i had money taken from my account last week and it turned out to be from stuff i purchased from the store b4 the network went down so in my case it was playing catch up and a few others have had the same

Let the others come after us. We welcome the chase
Bill Struth 1875-1956
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11 (892 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Hello....I was just updated my details on my PS3 and I entered my credit card details in my profile about two weeks.  For the past two weeks, there has been an outstanding charge of R1 on my credit card and it has not gone away.  Do you have any idea when this charge will be removed?  I have not bought anything on the PS3 network.  Thanks for any help you can provide.  There really is no support from Sony in South Africa is there?

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11 (630 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 11

Playstation Staff

i think when you first enter new CC details, they take the small amount (e.g. £1 in UK) to check the card is valid and funds available etc. it should be refunded pretty quickly. if it's still outstanding then i would maybe contact sony to see why it's still outstanding and hasn't been refunded.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11 (584 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 7

Playstation Staff

It's more likely to be the credit card company at fault. My understanding is the small charge is reserved by Sony but never completed. The card should put the payment in suspense and then release it when the transaction isn't completed.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11 (567 Views)
0 Kudos