PSN General

18 Feb 2010
By: SLY_TUG Member 17 Posts
Level 1

VPN connection on a PS3

11 Replies 52945 Views Created 18-02-2010

Does anybody know if a PS3 can connect through an ethernet cable to a VPN

Or if it is possible to put it through a lap top first using something like Internet Connection Sharing

Cheers.

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 12 (52,945 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Re: VPN connection on a PS3

PS3 connected to laptop/desktop via cross over cable then connect the laptop/desktop via anyway you want to the internet.
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 12 (52,922 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

[ Edited ]

Do you connect to the cross over link on the ps3 just like you would normally connect to the internet?

cheers

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 12 (52,922 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

PS3 > Crossover > Laptop/Desktop > Ethernet/wireless > Router.

Does that help? Sorry didn't understand your question properly.
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 12 (52,866 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

What kind of VPN?

If it's a bridged ethernet VPN and your client can do ethernet bridging into a local switch, then hook up to the local switch. If it's a routed VPN (as most are), then your client machine will need 2 ethernet interfaces and routing enabled.

On windows this would consist of enabling ICS (Internet Connection Sharing), on linux or BSD it'd be a simple matter of turning on packet forwarding and masquerading on the interface connected to the PS3.

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 12 (52,847 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

[ Edited ]

GarethNelson wrote:

What kind of VPN?

If it's a bridged ethernet VPN and your client can do ethernet bridging into a local switch, then hook up to the local switch. If it's a routed VPN (as most are), then your client machine will need 2 ethernet interfaces and routing enabled.

On windows this would consist of enabling ICS (Internet Connection Sharing), on linux or BSD it'd be a simple matter of turning on packet forwarding and masquerading on the interface connected to the PS3.

I had one of those, but the wheels fell off. :Confused:

:BigGrin:

Redh3lix
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 12 (52,851 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Cheers guys, ive got an extra ethernet port for my laptop and im just waiting on a cross over cable coming in the post. So i'll give it a try when that comes and tell yous how i got on. :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 12 (52,817 Views)
0 Kudos

Hi, Did the VPN work? I want to use a VPN on my PS3 to get BBC tv on BBC iPlayer. I am in the Philippines. Regards, Nic
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 12 (52,540 Views)
0 Kudos

I have my PS3 connected to a UK and US vpn via my Mac, this can also be done via a PC.

There is a great tutorial here: http://nikansell.wordpress.com/2011/03/04/how-to-reduce-your-speeding-and-traffic-fines-in-the-uae/

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 12 (45,448 Views)
0 Kudos

you will have to activate a PPTP connection on your wired router in order to share your vpn connection with your ps3. Include your Consoles IP address in the DMZ settings and add the ports for psn on port fowarding

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 12 (44,026 Views)
0 Kudos