20 Dec 2010

Playstation Staff

Wireless problem when trying to connect

[ Edited ]
8 Replies 3,218 Views edited 20-12-2010

Hi, I am trying to get my PS3 online but I am receiving an error when connecting. I have not setup the PS3 wirelessly before and have done manual system updates/updated via ethernet cable.

The error I receive is - "the key information exchange timed out. The WPA key you entered may not be correct".

I have a Netgear router WGT624 v3. My security type is WPA-PSK [TKIP] and I have selected WPA on the PS3. I have not manually configured IP addresses for things, its only the PS3 that doesn't seem to work. My mobile, Xbox and PCs work fine.

Can anybody help please?

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9 (3,218 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 9

Playstation Staff

Re: Wireless problem when trying to connect

DanDaregmail escribió:

Hi, I am trying to get my PS3 online but I am receiving an error when connecting. I have not setup the PS3 wirelessly before and have done manual system updates/updated via ethernet cable.

The error I receive is - "the key information exchange timed out. The WPA key you entered may not be correct".

I have a Netgear router WGT624 v3. My security type is WPA-PSK [TKIP] and I have selected WPA on the PS3. I have not manually configured IP addresses for things, its only the PS3 that doesn't seem to work. My mobile, Xbox and PCs work fine.

Can anybody help please?

http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps3/3_21/settings/connectwireless.html

you will need to indicate your WPA key so PS3 and router can negotiate (but you've likely had to do the same for your mobile, Xbox and rest of PCs)

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9 (3,201 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Anybody have the same router? Do I have to open the ports or something?
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9 (3,179 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 13

Playstation Staff

no u need to put the correct security key into the ps3 settings when u find the network u want to join

Let the others come after us. We welcome the chase
Bill Struth 1875-1956
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9 (3,171 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

I have, the password works fine for all other devices bar the PS3 and I have tested a good few times. There must be something wrong with the PS3 or router, does anyone have this combination or an idea of why it is failing?
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9 (3,162 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 9

Playstation Staff

DanDaregmail escribió:
I have, the password works fine for all other devices bar the PS3 and I have tested a good few times. There must be something wrong with the PS3 or router, does anyone have this combination or an idea of why it is failing?

I found this page:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/archive/index.php/t-763118.html

so maybe you can try the latest posts info ( disabling Wireless Card Access List)

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9 (3,144 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

hey dude i got the same message when first connecting my ps3, my WPA key needed to be entered in CAPITALS then it worked,

try entering the wpa key using CAPS for any letters
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9 (3,124 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Thanks, I've tried with capitals and looked through avforums but no luck. Interestignly I tried changing the PS3 encryption option to WEP despite my router encryption set as WPA-PSK [TKIP]. When I entered the password the error came up: "The characters you entered are not valid. For hexadecimal: Use 10 or 26 characters from the ranges 0-9, a-f, and A-F For ASCII use 5 or 15 characters" bit weird
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9 (3,107 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Hey man, your a real life saver... after i formated my ps3 200 times, and after i lost all my saved data and map packs ann dlcs.. it finnaly worked thanks to you! :Stupid:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9 (1,917 Views)
0 Kudos