Reply
Want to join in?

Sign in to continue

I have a PSN account

Welcome back!

I'm new!

it only takes a minute or two

  • 63

    New messages in the last hour

  • Get a response within minutes

  • 92%

    92% percent of messages responded to

31 Dec 2009
By SeeThru56

SeeThru56

  • Offline
44%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post

pay for psn ?

56 Replies 1,228 Views Created 31-12-2008
i was just wondering if anyone would actually pay like xbox live . to make the online better . so would you guys do that . let me know your thoughts on it .
Reply
0 Kudos
LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel
05
/16

Cristari

  • Offline
90%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Cristari
Accepted Solution

I'd definatly consider it depending upon cost, although the PS3 is not cheep I wouldn't mind paying a small subscription fee for improving the service we have especially if it ment I could run/download/use games/applications/services on the network with more reliability than at present.

 

Throughout the life of the Playstation there has always been 1 major foul up that killed the machine off Please oh please do not let the PSN be the deathnail of the PS3.

Reply
0 Kudos

Re: pay for psn ?


05
/16

whereismax123

  • Offline
84%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
whereismax123
Accepted Solution
compared to live, psn suck . but then its free . after buying an xbox recently and paying for the service it really does wipe the floor over psn . voice chat works well and is clear . cross game talk works well and its clear . invites . even the little things like being told not just what game your friend is playing but also what in the game they actually doing eg story mode , online match , searching for online match . it makes it a million times easier to know when to invite or join
Reply
0 Kudos

Re: pay for psn ?

Free Image Hosting


05
/16

ZOMB13-R4NG3R

  • Offline
80%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
ZOMB13-R4NG3R
Accepted Solution

like ISP's, local services, etc... paying for something dosnt make it any better... I'd want proof I was getting (or gonna get) a better service before I'd pay SCEE for it... (a trial period for example)

Message Edited by ZOMB13-R4NG3R on 05-01-2009 11:43 AM
Reply
0 Kudos

Re: pay for psn ?

[ Edited ]

All this will be lost in time... like tears in rain...Photobucket
02
/16

Bill_Clinton_

  • Offline
60%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Bill_Clinton_
Accepted Solution

SeeThru56 wrote:
i was just wondering if anyone would actually pay like xbox live . to make the online better . so would you guys do that . let me know your thoughts on it .
why would you pay to play online you already to pay for internet service.. An whose says it would be better to pay for it.. will probably see 2 more threads about this next week....
Reply
0 Kudos

Re: pay for psn ?

bill_clinton_
02
/16

tatalugot

  • Offline
80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
tatalugot
Accepted Solution

Bill_Clinton_ wrote:

SeeThru56 wrote:
i was just wondering if anyone would actually pay like xbox live . to make the online better . so would you guys do that . let me know your thoughts on it .
why would you pay to play online you already to pay for internet service.. An whose says it would be better to pay for it.. will probably see 2 more threads about this next week....

 

thats why xbox has a better online service.u get what u pay for.sony can give us a poor service as we dont pay for it so its a case of dont like it tuff ....
Reply
0 Kudos

Re: pay for psn ?

Award Winner
12
/16

PatC_PSN

  • Award Winner
  • Offline
80%
12 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
PatC_PSN
Accepted Solution

Bill_Clinton_ wrote: 
why would you pay to play online you already to pay for internet service.
Well you don't pay Sony for your internet service, and there are certainly costs associated with providing the dedicated servers and network for the PSN. There is little doubt that making it a separate revenue stream for Sony would mean it getting greater attention and resources devoted to it. 

 

Reply
0 Kudos

Re: pay for psn ?

02
/16

viperveteran

  • Offline
80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
viperveteran
Accepted Solution

What I don't understand is why people would pay for it to be improved when sony does it for free.

The only leverage that a customer has is if Xbox fail to uphold substaintially there half of the contract. They uphold their part by allowing you to play online for the majority of your subscription. The improvements are made not because they are obliged but because they have chosen to do so. Which would also be the same if sony charged for the service. So what point is trying to be made in relation to the customers having more leverage?

 

In 2007 you could not check your friends list while in a game in 2008 this was adjusted for free and I am sure this could be classified as an improvement. In fact the whole PSN has been revamped and improved from the old PS2 online service which was in fact a lot worse than it is now.

 

I have no problems with playing games online with my PS3 I can access the store when I need to. Anything else that is required I am sure sony would provide for anyway as they have done in the past. Sony have developed the PS3 to be updated and that is why the extras that you B*£ch about were not there at the launch. it is unlikely that sony would have viewed these as important enough to put on the first firmware and I don't think that any amount of money you could have thrown at sony then would have changed that fact. 

 

 

 

 

 

Reply
0 Kudos

Re: pay for psn ?

02
/16

RocKtheCasbaH72

  • Offline
60%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
RocKtheCasbaH72
Accepted Solution

I would pay for it no problem - but not as it stands now. I'd want a good few features integrating first that have become second nature on Live, and in the longer term I'd hope to see an overall make-over of the dash so PSN and the community was more intgrated in to the whole playstation experience. That's if they were charging for it.

 

I can't see them charging though I think they've taken the opposing stand to microsoft's business model so we're stuck with it IMO. Maybe they'll do something next gen?

Message Edited by RocKtheCasbaH72 on 05-01-2009 11:01 AM
Reply
0 Kudos

Re: pay for psn ?

[ Edited ]

Award Winner
12
/16

PatC_PSN

  • Award Winner
  • Offline
80%
12 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
PatC_PSN
Accepted Solution

RocKtheCasbaH72 wrote:

 

I can't see them charging though I think they've taken the opposing stand to microsoft's business model so we're stuck with it IMO. Maybe they'll do something next gen?


There is no reason they couldn't keep the existing free service and launch an enhanced subscription service in parallel with it. I agree that they couldn't abandon the free service without losing a lot of customers.

Reply
0 Kudos

Re: pay for psn ?

02
/16

RB5

  • Offline
88%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
RB5
Accepted Solution

Why pay for PSN?  its a free services that allows you to game online.  Dont get me wrong would like to see more demo's and maybe more downladable content and exclusive material, but pay to game is madness.

 

Xbox live is good but far from perfect, ok there is alot of content, but most of it is rubbish, just on there because they charge.  and also, as i understand, all sub accounts on the individual xbox have to pay for the privilage to get online and game.  For me that would mean £120 per year.

 

So no PSN is great its free!!!  Ok we miss out on the content that the USA gets, but paying for it will not solve that, ur kidding ur self if you think it will.

 

For me good free service wins over paid for (and lets be honest, EXPENSIVE), and not perfect service.  The xbox live gold does not deliver for me.  for £40 i want the world and the moon, it does give half the world but not enough for me.

 

Someone please tell me what true benifits paid subscription to game online would provide??

Reply
0 Kudos

Re: pay for psn ?

Award Winner
12
/16

PatC_PSN

  • Award Winner
  • Offline
80%
12 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
PatC_PSN
Accepted Solution

RB5 wrote:

 

but pay to game is madness.


Not really, considering that the service must cost a lot to provide. I think a lot of people are confusing "would you like to pay for something that is currently free?" with "would you pay for a better supported service with greater functionality". And of course it would have to be an improved service if it was paid for.

 

And do you really expect "the world and the moon" for less than a pound a week?

Message Edited by PatC_PSN on 05-01-2009 11:54 AM
Reply
0 Kudos

Re: pay for psn ?

[ Edited ]
02
/16

RocKtheCasbaH72

  • Offline
60%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
RocKtheCasbaH72
Accepted Solution

RB5 wrote:

Why pay for PSN?  its a free services that allows you to game online.  Dont get me wrong would like to see more demo's and maybe more downladable content and exclusive material, but pay to game is madness.

 

Xbox live is good but far from perfect, ok there is alot of content, but most of it is rubbish, just on there because they charge.  and also, as i understand, all sub accounts on the individual xbox have to pay for the privilage to get online and game.  For me that would mean £120 per year.

 

So no PSN is great its free!!!  Ok we miss out on the content that the USA gets, but paying for it will not solve that, ur kidding ur self if you think it will.

 

For me good free service wins over paid for (and lets be honest, EXPENSIVE), and not perfect service.  The xbox live gold does not deliver for me.  for £40 i want the world and the moon, it does give half the world but not enough for me.

 

Someone please tell me what true benifits paid subscription to game online would provide??


 

Each to their own I suppose. If all you want is a facility to get online in games and do multiplayer then PSN does the job.

 

Personally I think XBL is more than worth the extra. and I wouldn't call it expensive at all. 12 months XBL gold starts at £27 which equates to around 7p a day / 50p a week. That's not bad when you put the two side by side and see what PSN is missing. But like I said it's different strokes for different folks and not everyone wants a full range of features.

Reply
0 Kudos

Re: pay for psn ?


02
/16

RB5

  • Offline
88%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
RB5
Accepted Solution

RocKtheCasbaH72 wrote:

RB5 wrote:

Why pay for PSN?  its a free services that allows you to game online.  Dont get me wrong would like to see more demo's and maybe more downladable content and exclusive material, but pay to game is madness.

 

Xbox live is good but far from perfect, ok there is alot of content, but most of it is rubbish, just on there because they charge.  and also, as i understand, all sub accounts on the individual xbox have to pay for the privilage to get online and game.  For me that would mean £120 per year.

 

So no PSN is great its free!!!  Ok we miss out on the content that the USA gets, but paying for it will not solve that, ur kidding ur self if you think it will.

 

For me good free service wins over paid for (and lets be honest, EXPENSIVE), and not perfect service.  The xbox live gold does not deliver for me.  for £40 i want the world and the moon, it does give half the world but not enough for me.

 

Someone please tell me what true benifits paid subscription to game online would provide??


 

Each to their own I suppose. If all you want is a facility to get online in games and do multiplayer then PSN does the job.

 

Personally I think XBL is more than worth the extra. and I wouldn't call it expensive at all. 12 months XBL gold starts at £27 which equates to around 7p a day / 50p a week. That's not bad when you put the two side by side and see what PSN is missing. But like I said it's different strokes for different folks and not everyone wants a full range of features.


 

Have to agree with you different things for different ppl.  But intresting figures for the £475 i spent on my PS3 and the £100's spent on xboxs and other PS3 systems, 7p per day is too expensive especilly when they charge for content on there respective networks.  I pay an ISP just for the chance to connect to connect to PSN or Live, and then have to pay on top.

 

Your right 7p sounds reasonable, but on principle and what that 7 pence give you, its not for me.

 

Again what does paid subscription really offer?

 

P.s where do you get Live for £27 a year, ive gotta get it for my partner and that is the best price i have heard.

Reply
0 Kudos

Re: pay for psn ?

02
/16

RocKtheCasbaH72

  • Offline
60%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
RocKtheCasbaH72
Accepted Solution

RB5 wrote:

RocKtheCasbaH72 wrote:

RB5 wrote:

Why pay for PSN?  its a free services that allows you to game online.  Dont get me wrong would like to see more demo's and maybe more downladable content and exclusive material, but pay to game is madness.

 

Xbox live is good but far from perfect, ok there is alot of content, but most of it is rubbish, just on there because they charge.  and also, as i understand, all sub accounts on the individual xbox have to pay for the privilage to get online and game.  For me that would mean £120 per year.

 

So no PSN is great its free!!!  Ok we miss out on the content that the USA gets, but paying for it will not solve that, ur kidding ur self if you think it will.

 

For me good free service wins over paid for (and lets be honest, EXPENSIVE), and not perfect service.  The xbox live gold does not deliver for me.  for £40 i want the world and the moon, it does give half the world but not enough for me.

 

Someone please tell me what true benifits paid subscription to game online would provide??


 

Each to their own I suppose. If all you want is a facility to get online in games and do multiplayer then PSN does the job.

 

Personally I think XBL is more than worth the extra. and I wouldn't call it expensive at all. 12 months XBL gold starts at £27 which equates to around 7p a day / 50p a week. That's not bad when you put the two side by side and see what PSN is missing. But like I said it's different strokes for different folks and not everyone wants a full range of features.


 

Have to agree with you different things for different ppl.  But intresting figures for the £475 i spent on my PS3 and the £100's spent on xboxs and other PS3 systems, 7p per day is too expensive especilly when they charge for content on there respective networks.  I pay an ISP just for the chance to connect to connect to PSN or Live, and then have to pay on top.

 

Your right 7p sounds reasonable, but on principle and what that 7 pence give you, its not for me.

 

Again what does paid subscription really offer?

 

P.s where do you get Live for £27 a year, ive gotta get it for my partner and that is the best price i have heard.


 

I buy the 12 month cards off Ebay when I need to.

 

They work out quite a bit cheaper than letting the subscription auto-renew and paying MS direct.

 

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/items/?_nkw=xbox+live+gold+12&_sacat=0&_fromfsb=&_trksid=m270.l1313&_odkw=xbo...

 

n.b. price has gone up since I renewed - now £28.45

 

Reply
0 Kudos

Re: pay for psn ?


06
/16

Killzone_Kid

  • Offline
94%
06 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Killzone_Kid
Accepted Solution

SeeThru56 wrote:
i was just wondering if anyone would actually pay like xbox live . to make the online better . so would you guys do that . let me know your thoughts on it .


This will be an extortion! If you buy a third party game you are playing it on their servers not PSN servers. PSN is there to moderate and to log you in. The third party game would contact PSN to get your authentication information like your login name and your ban status. Good idea, as you have 1 name for all games and don't need to create new username for every new game purchased. But because third party games check PSN many time during your online game it requires PSN to be perfect otherwise it would spoil your online game play. This is exactly what happens now with Battlefield Bad Company and few other games.

Yesterday PSN was total crap for me, sign offs every few minutes and in the middle of the game. Whats more, it was slow and as a result my game would freeze occasionally obtaining authentication information, then resume or freez then sign off PSN. I've been playing this game for quite a bit and know how it behaves. Since HOME public launch PSN went downhill and my gaming experience with it. So why the ***** should I pay for PSN if they only make things worse not better? ***** the universal username, I'm prepared to lose this luxury if this means my game play suffers, my game play that I paid my money for.

Does anyone else see the stupidity of the situation? Look we are Sony, we didn't ask you, we decided ourselves that we will have this centralised PS Network to make your life easier although you don't really need it to play online games you paid for, but don't worry we are so nice you don't have to pay for it, it is FREE. Now you're considering to pay for it to make it better for something we didn't need in the first place? Reminds me Microsoft. How can we flog a product people don't need? We make them need it, make them dependent on it. Same with PSN, SCE made you dependent on it and now *****ed it up so that the idiots will be willing to pay for it. This is insane, open your eyes people!
Reply
0 Kudos

Re: pay for psn ?

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel