Support

PSN Support

PSN Support

13 Sep 2011
By: no2study

1 Posts

Can't connect my PS3 to wireless network

18 Replies 58903 Views Created 13-09-2011

Hi i have this problem my ps3 wont connect to my wireless internet it says a connection to the access point could not be established... my router is Netgear MR814V3.. with the firmware of v5.4_06... I can't connect my ps3 when WPA key or WEP key is on but when i turn those keys off my PS3 would connect but i would not rather do that coz i don't want somebody using our own Wireless Connection coz it will be left open to anybody.. I tried the custom way of putting the IP address, Default Router and DNS servers.. I also tried registering the MAC address of my PS3 on the wireless setting of my router.. any suggestions i can do?? does anybody here had the same problem?? By the way when my cousin moved to their new apartment and had their new internet installed i brought my PS3 and it connected to their wireless connection fine with its WPA key on.. do you think the routher is the problem here?? do you think buying a new router will solve the problem coz i don't want to buy a router that costs $60 and it still wont connect.. PLS help.. i really want to play online.. Thanks in advance

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 19 (58,903 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

Re: Can't connect my PS3 to wireless network

[ Edited ]

Hello and welcome to the PlayStation®Community.

The issue you described leads me to believe you have a configuration issue somewhere. While I can assist you in troubleshooting this, personally I would recommend you get a new wireless router because the Netgear MR814v3 is rather old (802.11b) and you will not get the best performance from it.

If you would rather keep your current hardware then do the following:

• Reset the MR814v3 to factory defaults
  • Set up the router again with your preferred SSID (the name it broadcasts) and WPA (if an option for WPA2 is given then select this instead) passphrase*. For detailed instructions on how to do this refer to to the manufacturers manual.
  • Go to your PS3 and configure the network settings, selecting wireless and easy when prompted. Follow the onscreen instructions.

*It is best practice to use letters, numbers and special characters in your passphrase to make it harder for people to hack into your wireless network. An example passphrase is: "Pa$$w0rd".

Let us know how you go.

If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Kudos". If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer". This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights! Remember to always backup your data.

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 19 (58,873 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

using a 'b' type router could mean your signal is dropping while your trying to establish the connection. Either upgrade to an 'G' or 'N' router, use a wired LAN connection, or move your router and PS3 closer together to establish the connection then try to move it back to its original place.

But for the long term, and best online experience, buy a new router.

Hope this helps!

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 19 (58,824 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 13

sk_online wrote:

using a 'b' type router could mean your signal is dropping while your trying to establish the connection. Either upgrade to an 'G' or 'N' router, use a wired LAN connection, or move your router and PS3 closer together to establish the connection then try to move it back to its original place.

But for the long term, and best online experience, buy a new router.

Hope this helps!

G would bw fine as the ps3 is not N

But still recomend wired over wireless any day. Do a search for Homeplugs if you can't do wired

Below is a Signature

Sony are stabbing their loyal family customers in the back - We have 3 PS3s and 3 PSPs all on the same IP address and all registered with Sony. Why can't we use them at the same time anymore?
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 19 (58,822 Views)
0 Kudos

i have the same problem too and i cant connect my wireless to my ps3. Is ther a way so i dont have to reset my att internet and leave how it is?

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 19 (50,621 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

If you don't want buy a new router and your router is close enough to the PS3, then get a flat Ethernet cable (means it's easier to setup or hide than normal Ethernet cables). You can get up to 30 meters for around £8 that includes delivery from sellers on Ebay.

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 19 (50,618 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

We can connect okay but the wireless connection drops from 5mbs to 123kbs for no reason and therefore we are not able to do much. WE are now permanatly hard wired, much to our dismay, as the cable is trailig across the room.

We have purchased a new router, got a new ISP and even exchanged our new 320g PS3. However, when we had the 60g machine it worked beautifully. Sony are aware and have been trying to find a solution since January.

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 19 (50,503 Views)
0 Kudos

Thanks alot! My my wireless router was set to N only, so I set it to G and N. Now everything is working perfectly.

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 19 (50,076 Views)
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

i am having the same connection message, timing out.

I have an apple time capsule with a n level band.  it is set for wpa-2.  help.

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 19 (48,190 Views)
0 Kudos

I'm having the same problems but none of them solutions worked any other ones ??
Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 19 (46,720 Views)
0 Kudos