Level 13

Re: ERROR 80023102 - cannot make any purchase online

Music again has different rules, and as far as I'm aware Valve don't operate in as many countries as Sony do, which limits them less.

Unfortunately, that error message could have been encountered for multiple reasons, in your case it was regarding the card, however there could be so many possible reasons that it wouldn't fit on the screen, and reasons that have not been encountered before could also trigger it which would make the information provided misleading.

Support methods are all over the sites :smileywink: For example the one I have linked you to. Also, they have to deal with hundreds/Thousands of requests per day, and email support is only intended for easily resolvable issues. More complex issues are better dealt with on the phone to ensure the issue is resolved properly. :smileyhappy:

As you're using a PS3, you could just create another PSN ID to use to make purchases, or use as a new main account. That way you'll have all your old stuff, and be able to purchase things again.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 23 (437 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

1- customer facing error notification

I know this error message represents a multitude of different error. This is precisely the issue I am speaking of!

On Sony's side the payment didn't work, they could certainly tell more precisely why.

Text for error description doesn't fit on screen? Not a problem, just create more error numbers to ensure each problem has its error number. Then provide a translator error number/english to ensure a player can find his way through.

2- support

Not OK with how easy support method are displayed. This is the support site: http://lu.playstation.com/psn/support/

The big fat option featured is forums, just after FAQ. The customer service on the side is for hardware support, doesn't seem to apply for PSN (at least to me).

I don't see a list of phone numbers or emails ... or a web form for opening a support ticket.

Dealing with lots of support request also means they have plenty of customers and should staff accordingly. Plenty of large corporations face similar volume.

Additionaly since Sony kind of suck at point #1, they are doing their best to ensure they receive a lot of customer requests: I'm a perfect example of this. I got a generic error "payment doesn't work". I can't tell if it's permanent or not,and what's the root cause without engaging in forums and support.

3- account

That is very interesting advise, thanks!

I wans't aware that creating a new account would enable me to keep my stuff: I thought this was like steam: new account=new gamelist.

So I can keep games, saves, everything from my account and create a second one that also has all his stiff?

Or do I need to switch accounts depending on the game I want to play?

In any case, what's the point then of this "you can't change country" policy?

I can create an account for any country I want and still get the digital content.

Even if they check IP, we have so many VPN since the last decade, that this whole thing just doesn't add up.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 23 (435 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 13

The policy is to prevent the fraudulent changing of countries. People can create accounts in places they don't live, there's nothing that can stop that, but once caught out they can and will be banned, as is legally required. 99% of the time it's the user who gets themselves caught out, though there are other ways Sony can easily detect it, no matter where you are.

If you legitimately create a new user on your PS3, content from both accounts (usually) can be played on each account. If you want to keep your trophies etc I'd suggest using a new account for purchases, but retain the old one for usage.
The account content is purchased using must be active and a user of the system for other users to play their games.

Point 1 would require the entire OS to be reassembled and waste time and money because the conditions for an error can be created in potentially infinite ways, not just the ones that Sony are aware of. Imagine the number of possible causes for a game failing to start. Sony list a few suggestions sometimes, but usually troubleshooting will be needed to confirm an issue.

Finally, point 2, as it appears I've answered in the wrong order. I can link you to all the support details if you'd like :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 23 (433 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Hi,

this account thing seems really complex... I read your post a couple of time, not sure I understand all you mean...

Error message, re-compile the OS? Probably, but this is the price to pay if it wasn't done correctly the first time.

They went high-level for error codes and it's not customer centric to ensure he can act on the data displayed on screen.

When building software, you can also have it very laconicaly display a single error code sayingerror 00001:  "doesn't work". I'm taking an extreme here, but you get the picture. Yes it would need to recompile the code and gets in some work to provide a finer set of granularity in error codes.

I would imagine that providing some hints to buyers stuck in the last steps of checkout would be a low hanging fruit.

I hope Sony is collecting some data as to which error codes pops-out the most and try to break down this error code into sub-buckets to help it's customer.

Anyway, I don't think I'm smart enough to be a customer here, all this situation is very complex.

A console is for me the path to easy access to game and entertainment. All this kind of defeats the purpose.

Thank you for your time

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 23 (428 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 13

Make a new account on your ps3, and use it to buy stuff. Then play it on your old one. Simples :smileywink:
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 23 (424 Views)
0 Kudos

well, i get this and comes to adding funds, everythign ihave is in put in right etc, i just bought like dlc like last week and now i cnt put funds in to be able to purchase ps1 LoD :smileysad:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 16 of 23 (421 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 13

What are you attempting to add funds with? Credit Card?
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 17 of 23 (419 Views)
0 Kudos

pretty much, i make small dlc purchases here n there thats under $7 usually, so there arent any psn ards that are to the amounts only $25 and $50 cards
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 18 of 23 (415 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 13

I assume you're American if you're using dollars. Best Buy sell $10 PSN Cards. If possible, try a different card if it isn't working and see if that gives you the error.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 19 of 23 (405 Views)
0 Kudos

im in canada, and i have yet to see any $10 cards anywhere.. only $25 and $50 ones..

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 20 of 23 (398 Views)
0 Kudos