How does the new Online Storage feature work, and how do I use it?
Solved! Go to Solution.
3.60 Update Feature - Online Storage Area for Saves
This update introduces an Online Storage area for PlayStation Plus users to back up their saved data. This will allow them to access their data from another PlayStation 3 system.
Details regarding Online Storage:
- You will need a PlayStation Plus PSN account and access to the Internet to use this function.
- PS1,PS2,PSP and minis save data cannot be backed up.
- Data will be kept for a maximum of 6 months from the end of your PlayStation Plus membership.
- You can access your data on online storage, if you become a PlayStation Plus member again within 6 months (using the same PSN account).
- The process for backing up saves cannot be used on the in-game XMB.
- You can back up your data to Online Storage as often as you wish, however you may only restore data to your PS3 from online storage once every 24 hours.
- The Online Storage option will still be displayed in your menu if you are offline, even if you are not a PlayStation Plus member.
- Saved data above 150MB cannot be backed up, however you will able to back up copy-right protected saved data.
- When there is not enough space left on the Online Storage, further saved data will not be able to be backed up. The user will have to delete and free some online storage space to back up a new save.
- The maximum amount of storage space for 1 PSN Account is 150MB, and the maximum amount of saves is 1000.
How to use Online Storage:
To backup Save Game Data to Online Storage
- You can back up or copy the save by navigating to the ‘GAME’ icon > scroll through the options until you are on ‘SAVE DATA UTILITY (PS3)’ > Press X
- Select the save you wish to backup press the triangle button and select ‘COPY’
- You will be asked to select the destination of the back up save, navigate to the new option ‘ONLINE STORAGE’ and press X to copy over.
To restore Save Game Data from Online Storage:
- Go to ‘GAME’ icon, select ‘SAVE DATA UTILITY’ and then ‘ONLINE STORAGE’
- Highlight the saved data you wish to copy.
- Press triangle and select ‘COPY’ to retrieve the save.
The latest update is also available for download from the PlayStation website System Software 3.60
Got feedback or questions after reading this? Send me a PM!
Hi, I'm using firmware 4.11 and I cannot access my online storage to restore files to my PS3.
My situation is that I went PS+ last weekend so I could more easily back-up my game saves (especially those copy-protected ones - hate 'em!) prior to formatting my PS3.
After I formatted my PS3 and redownloaded the games I planned to play and retrieved the bulk of my game save data from a USB drive, I went to the Online Storage to retrieve the copy-protected files and it is showing nothing to me except for the "To save your data in online storage..." message. The Online Storage clearly shows in the preceeding menu that I have 17MB of 150MB remaining.
I don't understand why I cannot access the data that I had only days ago uploaded after going PS+ and it doesn't make much sense.
1) Pick a file that you're certain will not overwrite a superior file in the Online Storage, or one that you aren't so concerned with (Game Settings/Options files would be a good pick).
2) Copy the file to your Online Storage.
3) Now, go into your Online Storage, and if things work like they did for me, you should see all your stuff stored in there like normal.
It's kinda like giving the storage a little kickstart.
as he had still 150mb max storage space, when now theres 1GB max storage space.
Holy crap! that's the same problem I had, so I did what you said and it worked!!! Thank you for figuring it out! Really thanks.
Can i change back to storing on my PS3 like standard ?
My internet isn't always up, that's why I'd like to change back.
PS How much can a game save take up from PS3's storage space ?
This Online storage is balls imho. Yes if you want to back up your saved data so it is safe it is great but...
It tells you that you can "continue your experience with a friend on their ps3 etc etc" Yes but in fact no not really.
I played the new Tomb Raider at home and on Single Player only. Went to my Bro's house and we fired up the multiplayer for a session. I uploaded the Saved/Profile data to the online storage system and went home.
I then fired up my PS3 and attempted to download that data to continue my game. NOT HAPPENING 24hrs wait needed to download the profile info. Balls...oh well not to worry 24hrs done. No not really.
Unfortunately I made the mistake of loading the game during this time and guess what. My auto upload feature kicked in in the early hours and subsequntly the data I needed was wiped. My only option other than to start multiplayer fresh is to ask him to upload the data again and either not open the game or turn off the Auto Upload feature. Oh and wait another 24hrs!!!!!
This is wrong. As a keen gamer why must I wait 24hrs to use info on my PSN account and only for the Profile information. This again smacks to me of Sony preventing access for good gamers to hamper the activities of the devious minority who might abuse the system.
There must be a better way than this and besides I don't even know how you could abuse this system if it is locked to your PSN account. NOT GOOD NOT HAPPY
You say :
"It tells you that you can "continue your experience with a friend on their ps3 etc etc" Yes but in fact no not really."
You did, you played it at your brother's. But if you had remembered the auto upload, then you won't have had a problem, it does work if you remember HOW.
If you hadn't gone on your Tomb Raider, and played another game that you would probably have, because your not going to have a $200 - $300 PS3 for only one game, and that being Tomb Raider of all things, then you could have had your updated data back.
So, yes it works, just be smart about it and don't mess up with a rookie mistake.
Going to anyone who will use online storage for other people's PS3s.