Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post

How to put your PS3 or PS4 into a DMZ

[ Edited ]
382 Replies 437,778 Views edited 30-01-2015

Hello!

You're most likely here because you've thrown something out of your window in frustration at being randomly booted from an epic game of Modern Warfare 2. It's no fun, we know. But we're here to help you out...

Most problems like this can be resolved by placing your PlayStation 3 Console in a De-Militarised Zone (or DMZ). This means that your router will not block any internet traffic to your console, leaving you free to breathe the open air of MW2 multiplayer goodness. Ahhh....

Placing your console in a DMZ is not a difficult thing to do, but you will need to set aside half an hour to get to grips with the process - and you'll need administrator access to your router.

First things first, turn on your console and go to Settings > Network Settings.

From here, you can change all the bits and gubbins which help your PS3 connect to the internet.

You will need to give your PS3 a static IP address. IP addresses are like street addresses, only for your internet network. A static IP address will ensure that your router always knows where it can find your PS3.

To do this, first you'll need to go to the Settings and Connection Status List and make a note of 2 numbers:

1. The 'IP Address'

2. The 'Default Router'

Once you've got these, back out of this menu and go to the Internet Connection Settings menu. From here, follow these steps:

1. Select 'Custom'

2. Select the type of connection your using (If your PS3 is plugged in to the router, select 'Wired', if not you're using a wireless connection, select that intead.)

3. If you selected wireless, set up your connection as normal untill you get to the IP Address menu.

4. If you selected wired, select 'Auto-Detect' at the next screen and continue to the IP Address menu.

5. At the IP Address menu, select 'Manual'.

Remember those numbers you marked down earlier? Here's why you noted them!

You'll now see a screen with 5 options:

IP Address

Here, you need to input the number you noted down earlier. However, you should change the last group of 3 digits to something else. Your safest bet is to increase this number by 50 and use that. So, if the IP address you noted earlier was 192.168.0.50 then your new IP address would be 192.168.0.100

Note that the numbers here only go up to 255, so use that as a maximum if you need to. Be sure to ONLY change the last group of numbers! Make a note of the number you decided to go with.

Subnet Mask

This is almost always 255.255.255.0, don't change this unless you have a specific reason to do so.

Default Router

The second of the numbers you wrote down, all you need to do here is input the IP address of your router.

Primary DNS

This bit is super easy. Remember the number you placed in 'Default Router'? Whack it in here again!

Secondary DNS

You don't need anything at all here, unless you have a specific reason to input a Secondary DNS.

Once you're done here, make sure to make a note of the IP address you entered at this menu and hit right on the d-pad to advance.

6. For MTU - select Automatic

7. Do not use a proxy server, unless you have a specific reason to use one!

8. UPnP - it's usually a good idea to enable this, but if you have voice comms trouble after using this guide, try disabling it.

9. Review the settings and test the connection!

Now, don't panic. Your PS3 may scream at you that it cant connect to PSN. In the words of Revolver Ocelot, "We're not finished yet!"

Your next task is to log on to your router as an administrator. Check your router's manual for details on how to do this (alternatively, google is your friend).

Somewhere in the plethora of settings and techy bits that make up your router's menu will be an option to assign a 'DMZ'. I cant point you directly to this since every router differs, your best bet is that good ole' friend google.

Once you find it, you'll be asked to input an IP address for your DMZ. Here, you need to put in the IP address you gave your PS3 earlier, the one you noted down after step 5 of this guide. Once you've done that, save your settings, wait for your router to sort itself out, then dance a bit - you're nearly done.

Troop over to your PS3 and go back into Network Settings. From here, select Internet Connection Test. If all has gone swimmingly, your test will be successful and your NAT Type will read '2'. Hurrah! Your console is demilitarised and has nothing to fear from aerial bombings* or multiplayer connection troubles.

If it fails, something has gone horribly wrong. Maybe terrorists intercepted your traffic and changed an IP address whilst you weren't looking, or maybe you forgot something. Fear not - post in this thread with the results of your internet connection test and our lovely community will do their best to help you out.

Enjoy!

MusterBuster.

*I cant guarantee your PlayStation will survive an actual aerial bombing. Sorry bout that.

LABELS: Online-PSN
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel
Beta Tester
/16

milnerant

• Beta Tester
96%
10 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
milnerant
Accepted Solution

I cheated and had Forkless invade my PC and do it all for me :D

(Orange Livebox's are apparently one of the worst routers to deal with all this stuff)

0 Kudos

Re: How to put your PS3 into a DMZ

[ Edited ]

/16

AMG999222

73%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
AMG999222
Accepted Solution

milnerant wrote:

I cheated and had Forkless invade my PC and do it all for me :D

Same, x2 :P
0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

jason1971

• Beta Tester
82%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
jason1971
Accepted Solution
nice post mb
0 Kudos

/16

Pin-Pin-Ire

96%
07 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Pin-Pin-Ire
Accepted Solution
Open DNS also helps :)
0 Kudos

/16

gazzagb

56%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
gazzagb
Accepted Solution

"De-Militarised Zone" sounds a bit scary lol. So "your router will not block any internet traffic to your console" but what does that actually mean? Could someone hack your PS3 or something? Are there any other benefits of putting your PS3 in DMZ?

0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

MusterBuster

• Beta Tester
92%
09 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
MusterBuster
Accepted Solution

gazzagb wrote:

"De-Militarised Zone" sounds a bit scary lol. So "your router will not block any internet traffic to your console" but what does that actually mean? Could someone hack your PS3 or something? Are there any other benefits of putting your PS3 in DMZ?

We're yet to hear of anyone hacking a PS3, no one has ever done it from over the internet, and we're pretty confident that no one can.

Mind you, coming from me that will sound very biased! But perhaps our community members can reassure you that this is safe?

My PS3 is in a DMZ, if that'll reassure you :D

The benefits are that your side of gaming wont cause any connection problems. What it cannot do is protect you from dropouts/disconnects from users who are connecting from behind a ridiculously secure network.

/16

WoLF-KBOOM

83%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
WoLF-KBOOM
Accepted Solution

north korea keeps invading my dmz :(

/16

gazzagb

56%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
gazzagb
Accepted Solution

@MB & AMG999222

Cheers for the replies guys, Ill try and find some time to it this weekend

Gazza :]

0 Kudos

/16
91%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
RadioactiveMouse
Accepted Solution

Anyone have any luck doing this with the o2 wireless box? DMZ doesn't even seem an option :S

UPDATE : Apparently this is how you do it. I have yet to see if it makes much of a difference. Choose your PS3 and click assign ;)

http://192.168.1.254/cgi/b/publicip/...SIGN_PUBL_ADDR

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Dah Dah Dah RadioactiveMouse :P
Award Winner
/16

fski

• Award Winner
97%
07 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
fski
Accepted Solution

Your ISP's primary and secondary DNS numbers can be found by running an IPconfig/all command prompt from your PC.

I would personally advise placing these or open DNS numbers into the DNS settings on the PS3 instead of the default router/gateway number. The DNS numbers are there, so use 'em.

Edit : That is, of course assuming the command lists a different set of numbers. For instance my Default gateway IP is 192.168.1.1 and my primary and secondary DNS numbers are 194.168.4.1 and 194.168.8.1 but my friend on the same ISP gets the same DNS/default gateway numbers pn the same prompt. Sorry if that's confusing.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
/16

ITFCdan

88%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
ITFCdan
Accepted Solution

i DID THIS ABOUT 18 MONTHS AGO AND HAVE HAD A GREAT CONNECTION SINCE (soz caps lock) nobodys hacked my ps3................yet :Thumbs:

/16

babaoriley3

96%
08 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
babaoriley3
Accepted Solution
Gunna give it a try. if this doesn't work pumpkins will roll :O
0 Kudos

/16

Firefly-III

27%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Firefly-III
Accepted Solution

Ive been having problems with PSN for a while now, and am on my last legs with trying to fix it. In Battlefield, im unable to have friends join my squad via invites and am having problems with disconnects and Black Ops is even worse. The multiplayer menus informs me of a strict NAT type, despite it being on 2, it takes ages for me to get into a game, I cant join my friends (as with BFBC2) and im constantly disconnecting.

From what ive told you, is it possible that putting my PS3 into 'DMZ' will resolve these issues? :Help: 

0 Kudos

/16

giladmaa222

29%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
giladmaa222
Accepted Solution

it doesnt work for me

0 Kudos

/16

AMG999222

73%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
AMG999222
Accepted Solution

gazzagb wrote:

All it does is sets up kind of separate channel that doesn't get interrupted by other devices accessing your network, So in games like MW2 you will find less disconnections and Host migration will succeed more often :D

/16
97%
09 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
SolidNinjaSnake
Accepted Solution
I may give this a try later or tomorrow.

メタルギアソリッド - Metal Gear Solid

Twitter

/16

kiezerbel

49%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
kiezerbel
Accepted Solution
Put mine onto DMZ seems a little more responsive now!

Xbox360 has to be DMZ otherwise it rarely works (for me) - sold it so doesn't matter now lol :)
0 Kudos

/16
97%
09 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
SolidNinjaSnake
Accepted Solution
I've just done this now.
When it first tested it got NAT Type 3, but after the next step of sorting the router out via computer, it went to NAT Type 2. =)
There was one thing though, and that was it said UPnP Not Available. =\
So yeah, I'll let you know if I notice any improvements or anything, but if anything happens to my PS3 etc, I'm coming for you MB! :p
0 Kudos

Twitter

Award Winner
/16

fski

• Award Winner
97%
07 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
fski
Accepted Solution

SolidNinjaSnake wrote:

There was one thing though, and that was it said UPnP Not Available. =\

You don't need UPNP if you're using a DMZ, so happy days :)

0 Kudos

/16
97%
09 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
SolidNinjaSnake
Accepted Solution
Ah fair enough. ^_^
I will give a quick review from tonight, I was playing Fifa 10 and it seems to have sorted out a problem I have on there sometimes. =)
0 Kudos

Twitter

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel