17 Oct 2013

Playstation Staff

PSN Account Hacked

7 Replies 2,050 Views Created 17-10-2013
Unfortunately I had my PSN account accessed by someone from Hong Kong.
They also decided to spend over £80 of my wallet funds I had saved on FIFA 14 points.

I called PSN customer services (what an ironic name) today and was told that it was someone from Hong Kong who accessed my account and that his PS3 has already been banned.

When I asked about my £80 I was told in a couldn't care less attitude that it's basically not their problem and they won't be refunding me.

I'm a bit confused as they confirmed over the phone they knew it wasn't me who spent the money.
I tried to ask for the details of the person who commited fraud (yes the CRIMINAL) and was told they can't tell me.

I'm very careful with account security... My PSN had a unique password etc so how they gained access is beyond me.
I was told it's because the start of my email and my PSN username is the same... Lol really?

Anyway just came here to vent and share my appalling Sony customer service experience and to see if anyone else has had similar problems.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8 (2,050 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

Playstation Staff

Re: PSN Account Hacked

The reason why Customer Services told you they couldn't get your money back is because generally it's something you have to contact your bank for. Even if it's money that was spent from your wallet, it originally came from your bank account so you may need to reach out to your bank to see if they can refund you due to fraud.

It's also against the law for Customer Services to provide you with any contact information of the person who committed the crime.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8 (2,042 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

The money was put into the account using mobile phone credit
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8 (2,028 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Sony COULD refund the money to keep me a Customer happy. A customer who currently has the £489 ps4 bundle on preorder.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8 (2,024 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

I assume you also did not use the second password feature for store and wallet transactions, this would have at least stopped you losing said money as it locks out all account transactions until a password is entered.

Everybody should have this on by default regaurdless if they have credit card info on their account or not, it means even if your account is comprimised, they cannot get into your account info, so all they have is a account they cannot access to get anything, they cannot deactivate your PS3, they cannot dl your games history, and they can't access stored info.

Anybody who does not have this active now needs to do so, and do not use the same password you use to log into the PSN. :smileywink:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8 (1,899 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

Playstation Staff

I didn't know you could set a secondary password on your account - thanks for the tip :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8 (1,868 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Playstation Staff

The secondary password is exactly the same as your PSN password, hence, the person was able to log in in the first place that wouldn't really pose much of a challenge for them to...enter the password again.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8 (1,825 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 7

Playstation Staff

You may want to read the terms of service that you sign up for as they state any purchase on the account are at the account holders responsibility.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8 (1,767 Views)
0 Kudos