09 Feb 2010
Playstation Staff

Petition: Option to change PSN ID **DISPLAY** Name (Like Japanese PSN users can)

[ Edited ]
235 Replies 14,157 Views edited 09-02-2010

Hi all,

I've been reading in several places that after several years on the PSN, some people are fed up with their PSN display names and wish to change them without having to create a new PSN account/losing trophies/purchase history/friend list, etc.

Now before people start spamming this thread with reasons why it can't be done, you should consider the following:

• You actual PSN ID is your email address, not the display name. It's what you sign into the PSN with.
  • Japanese PSN account holders can change their display names whenever they want, as it's only a cosmetic change to your profile.
  • It would not affect your friend/blocked list, trophies, purchase/download histoy as this infomation is tracked through your email address & PSN password.

Microsoft charge a fee for this but at least they offer the service. Japanese PSN users are not even limited to the amount of times they can change theirs.

Maybe we could gauge, in this thread, what PSN users would be willing to do for a simple name change.

Would you....

• Be willing to pay a small fee for the option to change (ala XBox Live)?
  • Mind if they allowed name changes but limited them to one per year/six months (could be more realistic)?
  • Agree that we should be allowed the same services offered to Japanese users?

So basically, do you folks think we Europeans and Americans should be shown the same courtesy as our Japanese counterparts? If you do think so, please make a note below, send this thread to your friends and let them post too.

I for one would gladly pay to change mine! :smileyhappy:I cannot stand it, but do not want to lose 2.5 years worth of friends, purchases, download history and (however many months worth of) trophies.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 236 (14,157 Views)
Level 10

Playstation Staff

Re: Petition: Option to change PSN ID **DISPLAY** Name (Like Japanese PSN users can)

MB said it will never happen due to moderation issues. What that means no idea

Could be the EU and US lack the correct tools to pass all the laws and for it to work...

Anyway come up with a way around that it will happen

Photobucket
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 236 (14,090 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 2

Playstation Staff

Re: Petition: Option to change PSN ID **DISPLAY** Name (Like Japanese PSN users can)

Hi I totally agree with your post m8, I would be willing to pay up to £10 to change my name, just once, I really want to change my name but no way am I creating a new account, I've got 1040 trophies. Please let us change our name at least ONCE!

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 236 (14,080 Views)
Level 3

Playstation Staff

1 change per year, £5 cost to prevent spammage. I think that's reasonable.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 236 (14,053 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Playstation Staff

I just think it would be better to make it absolutely clear when you create your psn account that you will not be able to change it at any time,that way people will take more care when choosing a name if they know they will be stuck with it and that it is linked to trophies and downloaded content that you buy off the psn store.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 236 (14,037 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

DKBass wrote:

I just think it would be better to make it absolutely clear when you create your psn account that you will not be able to change it at any time,that way people will take more care when choosing a name if they know they will be stuck with it and that it is linked to trophies and downloaded content that you buy off the psn store.

Personally I think that they made it perfectly clear when I signed up. The thing is, that was back at launch and back then there was no real incentive to only have one PSN ID (almost nothing to buy on the PSN plus the fact that there was no such thing as trophies).

After all these years, I'm just fed up of the same display name. That's all. I just figured that if Sony offer this service in Japan, why not over here & America too?

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 236 (14,021 Views)
Level 3

Playstation Staff

why would you want to change your name? you knew when you first created a account that you would be stuck with the psn id. its crazy that your actully willing to pay to change your name if your that bothered make a new account. i wouldn't call this crap a petition its more like " i want this gimme " theres people petitioning for real stuff & dying for its cause... grow up & stop petitioning for stuff you will never get.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 236 (14,006 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

Playstation Staff

Yes I would pay for this feature, I'd love to be able to change my PSN ID.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 236 (13,999 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 2

Playstation Staff

You knew from the very start of registering that you cant change it once its made so why give out about it. If you dont like it then why the hell did you pick it??

I would hate to go sign on and look at my friends list and see that everyone had a different name and then trying to figure out who is who. Its better everyone having the same name, eg. you remember people you've met or killed lots of time in a certain game and then seen him get back at you, you may get your name known over the PSN with how good you are, things you might have done. That would not exist if there was an option to change your ONLINE ID.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 236 (13,994 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Pay for a name change?! why? I think we should be able to change it, although I liked it on ps2 when you had a different name for each game and not this overriding one, But I accept thats impossible to go back to with ps3. This'll probably come in with the premium psn content like having to pay 20p for a 100x100 image or 1.79 for an extra texture map on a game.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 236 (13,978 Views)
0 Kudos