Reply
Want to join in?

Sign in to continue

I have a PSN account

Welcome back!

I'm new!

it only takes a minute or two

  • 59

    New messages in the last hour

  • Get a response within minutes

  • 92%

    92% percent of messages responded to

21 Sep 2012
By Iwantmemum118

Iwantmemum118

  • Offline
80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post

Slow PS3 download and upload speed, anyone know why or have a fix.

83 Replies 9,904 Views Created 21-09-2012

Ok since the last firmware update I have experienced major problems with the download and upload speeds on my ps3.

 

My set us is as follows:

 

Virginmedia 50MB broadband.

Speedtest result via PC is 49.2 download, 4.9 upload.

 

Virginmedia modem

Dlink Router (One that Virginmedia Supplied, can't remember model number)

wired connection to PS3 (Slim 250GB)

 

I have got all the correct ports open on the router according to the PS3 manual, and I have some others open for my Iomega Networked Harddrive.

 

I have done all the usual stuff of turning everything off and on again, I have just had the PS3 connected on its own, I have manually set up the network settings on the PS3 and I have also done it using the automatic setup, I have had media server enabled and tried it disabled and I have tried using a wireless connection but every time the PS3 Internet connection test give me a speed test result of 1.9MB download and 0.6 upload. And to download a 5GB file from the PS3 store took over 13 hours.

 

I know that the PS3 speed test is a bit hit and miss but it has always been above 20 until now.

 

Any ideas?

 

This started after the last update, this maybe a coinsidence but maybe someone out there has had the same issue.

Reply
0 Kudos
LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel
04
/16

Muttykins

  • Offline
92%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Muttykins
Accepted Solution

Iwantmemum118 wrote:

Ok since the last firmware update I have experienced major problems with the download and upload speeds on my ps3.

 

My set us is as follows:

 

Virginmedia 50MB broadband.

Speedtest result via PC is 49.2 download, 4.9 upload.

 

Virginmedia modem

Dlink Router (One that Virginmedia Supplied, can't remember model number)

wired connection to PS3 (Slim 250GB)

 

I have got all the correct ports open on the router according to the PS3 manual, and I have some others open for my Iomega Networked Harddrive.

 

I have done all the usual stuff of turning everything off and on again, I have just had the PS3 connected on its own, I have manually set up the network settings on the PS3 and I have also done it using the automatic setup, I have had media server enabled and tried it disabled and I have tried using a wireless connection but every time the PS3 Internet connection test give me a speed test result of 1.9MB download and 0.6 upload. And to download a 5GB file from the PS3 store took over 13 hours.

 

I know that the PS3 speed test is a bit hit and miss but it has always been above 20 until now.

 

Any ideas?

 

This started after the last update, this maybe a coinsidence but maybe someone out there has had the same issue.


 

Your problem sound more a connection problem at your end.

And as your using wireless it's not that great anyway try cabled & see if things improve.

Reply
0 Kudos

Re: Slow PS3 download and upload speed, anyone know why or have a fix.

03
/16

FooFan73

  • Offline
90%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
FooFan73
Accepted Solution

I've been on these forums for years (across several profiles) and seen so many of these topics

 

Over that time I've been with two ISPs, BT and now Sky. With BT I had every single version of their Home Hub router and used wired and wireless options with my PS3

 

I have never, ever had slow speeds with the PSN on either ISP, any router, wired or wireless (Apart from really popular demos or game downloads when the servers were packed)

 

I'm not saying I don't believe these people, I'm just curious why ISPs shape or restrict their customers internet speeds. Why is it BT and Sky are happy to allow my exchange work at full speed with my PS3 yet someone else in another part of the country can have an absolute nightmare between their ISP, router and PlayStation?

 

I've never even had to open ports or put the PS3 into a DMZ. The most I've ever had to do is manually assign the router's wireless channel to a channel the neighbours aren't using to avoid interference 

Reply
0 Kudos

Re: Slow PS3 download and upload speed, anyone know why or have a fix.

Photobucket
08
/16

frodouk

  • Offline
94%
08 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
frodouk
Accepted Solution
All to do with contention ratios mate.
Reply
0 Kudos

Re: Slow PS3 download and upload speed, anyone know why or have a fix.


03
/16

FooFan73

  • Offline
90%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
FooFan73
Accepted Solution

frodouk wrote:
All to do with contention ratios mate.

 

 

So you're saying it's not the PS3 at fault but is traffic shaping by ISPs in heavily populated areas?

 

That'll go down well with those who'll retort with 'But everything else in my house is fine"

 

#CanOfWorms 

Reply
0 Kudos

Re: Slow PS3 download and upload speed, anyone know why or have a fix.

[ Edited ]
Photobucket
08
/16

frodouk

  • Offline
94%
08 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
frodouk
Accepted Solution

FooFan73 wrote:

frodouk wrote:
All to do with contention ratios mate.

 

 

So you're saying it's not the PS3 at fault but is traffic shaping by ISPs in heavily populated areas?

 

That'll go down well with those who'll retort with 'But everything else in my house is fine"

 

#CanOfWorms 


 

Depends on what ports are being throttled back mate - seems the PSN uses ports that many ISP's manage.

Reply
0 Kudos

Re: Slow PS3 download and upload speed, anyone know why or have a fix.


04
/16

Muttykins

  • Offline
92%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Muttykins
Accepted Solution

Also it subcription to local exchange virgin are bad over subbing in some area's as it tend to work on split ratio it will impact the more there are.

Reply
0 Kudos

Re: Slow PS3 download and upload speed, anyone know why or have a fix.

02
/16

Jonesy-ov-s5

  • Offline
96%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Jonesy-ov-s5
Accepted Solution
i have the same problem.

i have virgin media fibre optic 60MB with the superhub. and when i do a connection test on the pc i always get 60MB and quite a lot i keep getting 61MB.

i use a wired connection but on the ps3 the download speed normal only shows 12MB on a really good day.

and as for wireless that is even worse on my ps3, i cant play GT5 over wireless because it makes the game crash so i end up having to sign out of psn for the game to load.

i have seen many posts on about slow psn speeds and internet problems. it seems to be virgins broadband boxes that dont seem to work well with the ps3, the superhub being the biggest problem.
Reply
0 Kudos

Re: Slow PS3 download and upload speed, anyone know why or have a fix.

------------
now own a 12GB Super Slim with a 500GB HDD upgrade.
Beta Tester
05
/16

GraphiteGB

  • Beta Tester
  • Offline
96%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
GraphiteGB
Accepted Solution

OK looks like nobody read my POST.

VM are having MASSIVE routing problems again...

The third party Internet companies They buy the routes from to connect around the world are screwing them over.... for the last 3 nights these third party companies have been messed up...

Most users only notice if they are tech savy enough to set up monitoring systems.

 

You are going to have to wait untill these networking errors are fixed for a long period before you can tell if your set up is wrong...  or if your just screwed buy to many cable customers in your area . A few ADSL customer found out they were also connected to the same companies... (hope fully the last time I see this this year) 

 

 

Reply
0 Kudos

Re: Slow PS3 download and upload speed, anyone know why or have a fix.

[ Edited ]
SIEE PS3/PS4 Beta Tester.

I use Game Capture HD II to capture and upload videos on to youtube
Free Plex app for PS4 AND PS3 out now...

Black screen on PC remote play showing up as windows GPU driver miss match, visit Intell, AMD, Nvidia to change your driver, downgrade of GPU driver may be required.
02
/16

RAGE_09

  • Offline
31%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
RAGE_09
Accepted Solution

i dont dissagree that virgin havn't been ***** in the past, but at the moment my downloads are really fast on my laptop i cant complain, but downloading on ps3 is extremely slow. im currently downloading starhawk multiplayer 6gb. i can download 6gb in an hour or 2 on my comp.

 

 

i changed to wired and turned ps3 off and on. its made a small difference... i dont think anyone will be able to pinpoint the problem its just 1 of those things the only hope here is to do the good old mum trick turn the plug on and off and hope for the best.  its not traffic problem cos its its pretty late and normal people are sleeping. i never experienced this on ps3 slim. just fat. dunno bout yall. good like tho. =]

Reply
0 Kudos

Re: Slow PS3 download and upload speed, anyone know why or have a fix.

02
/16

Iwantmemum118

  • Offline
80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Iwantmemum118
Accepted Solution

FooFan73 wrote:

I've been on these forums for years (across several profiles) and seen so many of these topics

 

Over that time I've been with two ISPs, BT and now Sky. With BT I had every single version of their Home Hub router and used wired and wireless options with my PS3

 

I have never, ever had slow speeds with the PSN on either ISP, any router, wired or wireless (Apart from really popular demos or game downloads when the servers were packed)

 

I'm not saying I don't believe these people, I'm just curious why ISPs shape or restrict their customers internet speeds. Why is it BT and Sky are happy to allow my exchange work at full speed with my PS3 yet someone else in another part of the country can have an absolute nightmare between their ISP, router and PlayStation?

 

I've never even had to open ports or put the PS3 into a DMZ. The most I've ever had to do is manually assign the router's wireless channel to a channel the neighbours aren't using to avoid interference 


 

I seriously doubt this is anything to do with my ISP. I have had a PS3 from launch (not my current one that is 2 years old ish) I have only had a problem since the last frimware update, before that it has been fine. I have only had to open ports on this router I have now and that was because they were closed as default (all my previous routers had them already open). Virgin have tested my line from their line and have said it was fine, I have tested it from my end using my pc and it is fine but for some reason it is slow when using the PSN. It is very puzzling and I have no idea how to solve the problem.

Reply
0 Kudos

Re: Slow PS3 download and upload speed, anyone know why or have a fix.

02
/16

Iwantmemum118

  • Offline
80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Iwantmemum118
Accepted Solution

Muttykins wrote:

Iwantmemum118 wrote:

Ok since the last firmware update I have experienced major problems with the download and upload speeds on my ps3.

 

My set us is as follows:

 

Virginmedia 50MB broadband.

Speedtest result via PC is 49.2 download, 4.9 upload.

 

Virginmedia modem

Dlink Router (One that Virginmedia Supplied, can't remember model number)

wired connection to PS3 (Slim 250GB)

 

I have got all the correct ports open on the router according to the PS3 manual, and I have some others open for my Iomega Networked Harddrive.

 

I have done all the usual stuff of turning everything off and on again, I have just had the PS3 connected on its own, I have manually set up the network settings on the PS3 and I have also done it using the automatic setup, I have had media server enabled and tried it disabled and I have tried using a wireless connection but every time the PS3 Internet connection test give me a speed test result of 1.9MB download and 0.6 upload. And to download a 5GB file from the PS3 store took over 13 hours.

 

I know that the PS3 speed test is a bit hit and miss but it has always been above 20 until now.

 

Any ideas?

 

This started after the last update, this maybe a coinsidence but maybe someone out there has had the same issue.


 

Your problem sound more a connection problem at your end.

And as your using wireless it's not that great anyway try cabled & see if things improve.


 

My PS3 has a wired connection, I tried it wireless to see if cured the probelm it didn't so i am back to a wired conection.

Reply
0 Kudos

Re: Slow PS3 download and upload speed, anyone know why or have a fix.

02
/16

tkalfaoglu

  • Offline
21%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
tkalfaoglu
Accepted Solution

Ok, let's quantify these comments:

 

I let PS3 download 2 games overnight. It's an 8 MBIT ADSL connection, wired connection, with nothing else usng the network.

 

Result: I checked this morning the network graphs (I have MRTG on another computer) and It never went over 2 MBIT/sec.   Therefore, YES, the downloads are SLOW. It never uses over 2MBIT/sec. I suspect it's some throttling at Sony's end to ensure that everyone gets SOME bandwidth and that no one hogs their entire bandwidth. Lame excuse of course (see youtube and facebook and how much bandwidth they use!)

 

In case anyone has doubts, it's not my ADSL.. I just launched  a download and my email program, and my bandwidth usage on the same line went up to 5.6 MBIT/sec.

 

So, YES, Sony is not giving us full bandwidth when downloading.

 

Reply
0 Kudos

Re: Slow PS3 download and upload speed, anyone know why or have a fix.

02
/16

crunchyfrog555

  • Offline
80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
crunchyfrog555
Accepted Solution

tkalfaoglu wrote:

Ok, let's quantify these comments:

 

I let PS3 download 2 games overnight. It's an 8 MBIT ADSL connection, wired connection, with nothing else usng the network.

 

Result: I checked this morning the network graphs (I have MRTG on another computer) and It never went over 2 MBIT/sec.   Therefore, YES, the downloads are SLOW. It never uses over 2MBIT/sec. I suspect it's some throttling at Sony's end to ensure that everyone gets SOME bandwidth and that no one hogs their entire bandwidth. Lame excuse of course (see youtube and facebook and how much bandwidth they use!)

 

In case anyone has doubts, it's not my ADSL.. I just launched  a download and my email program, and my bandwidth usage on the same line went up to 5.6 MBIT/sec.

 

So, YES, Sony is not giving us full bandwidth when downloading.

 


Let me correct something for you - yes, it's slow, the PS3 has always been this way. It will remain slower than your PC or other devices will download. This is well known. It does NOT mean "Sony is not giving us full bandwidth" which would mean a throttle on their end/servers, or a throttle on the hardware in the PS3, and that just defies logic. They simply wouldn't do that to any degree.

 

Having said that, I don't get particularly slow speeds, but then I use a decent provider (Fast.co.uk). Low contention ratio and NO throttling of ANY KIND.

 

Virgin - or whoever - could simply be throttling those ports. It's a well known trick they employ. Please do read www.ispreview.co.uk for some of the feedback people have left over this issue. 

 

This is the problem with mainstream (i.e. those that advertise on TV and in magazines) ISPs - they cut corners like crazy to maximise profits. I've heard many people say "oh, well I HAVE to go with BT (for example) because there's no other option".

 

This is crap, quite frankly. I cannot get cable as it is never planned for our area. I cannot get fibre also for the same reason. So I have a straightforward copper-wire ADSL connection. I have over 400 ISPs to choose from. There is no reason to even think of considering the mainstream ones like BT, Sky, TalkTalk etc.

 

The rule of thumb goes that if you haven't heard of the ISP, chances are they may be good. Again, ispreview is brilliant in this regard. User feedback counts for a lot there. Why this bizarre logic? Well, simply put, all the mainstream providers always come BOTTOM of the user ratings on every reputable monitoring service like Which?, ispreview and What ISP, to name a few. So if the mainstream ones are always the worst, you can't really do any worse, can you?

 

So, if you're a serious gamer, or use your internet for somewhat more than simple browsing or watching the occasional video, you really should educate yourself and choose wisely. 

Reply
0 Kudos

Re: Slow PS3 download and upload speed, anyone know why or have a fix.

[ Edited ]
Raptr Gamercard
03
/16

rider1

  • Offline
90%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
rider1
Accepted Solution

crunchyfrog555 wrote:

tkalfaoglu wrote:

Ok, let's quantify these comments:

 

I let PS3 download 2 games overnight. It's an 8 MBIT ADSL connection, wired connection, with nothing else usng the network.

 

Result: I checked this morning the network graphs (I have MRTG on another computer) and It never went over 2 MBIT/sec.   Therefore, YES, the downloads are SLOW. It never uses over 2MBIT/sec. I suspect it's some throttling at Sony's end to ensure that everyone gets SOME bandwidth and that no one hogs their entire bandwidth. Lame excuse of course (see youtube and facebook and how much bandwidth they use!)

 

In case anyone has doubts, it's not my ADSL.. I just launched  a download and my email program, and my bandwidth usage on the same line went up to 5.6 MBIT/sec.

 

So, YES, Sony is not giving us full bandwidth when downloading.

 


Let me correct something for you - yes, it's slow, the PS3 has always been this way. It will remain slower than your PC or other devices will download. This is well known. It does NOT mean "Sony is not giving us full bandwidth" which would mean a throttle on their end/servers, or a throttle on the hardware in the PS3, and that just defies logic. They simply wouldn't do that to any degree.

 

Having said that, I don't get particularly slow speeds, but then I use a decent provider (Fast.co.uk). Low contention ratio and NO throttling of ANY KIND.

 

Virgin - or whoever - could simply be throttling those ports. It's a well known trick they employ. Please do read www.ispreview.co.uk for some of the feedback people have left over this issue. 

 

This is the problem with mainstream (i.e. those that advertise on TV and in magazines) ISPs - they cut corners like crazy to maximise profits. I've heard many people say "oh, well I HAVE to go with BT (for example) because there's no other option".

 

This is crap, quite frankly. I cannot get cable as it is never planned for our area. I cannot get fibre also for the same reason. So I have a straightforward copper-wire ADSL connection. I have over 400 ISPs to choose from. There is no reason to even think of considering the mainstream ones like BT, Sky, TalkTalk etc.

 

The rule of thumb goes that if you haven't heard of the ISP, chances are they may be good. Again, ispreview is brilliant in this regard. User feedback counts for a lot there. Why this bizarre logic? Well, simply put, all the mainstream providers always come BOTTOM of the user ratings on every reputable monitoring service like Which?, ispreview and What ISP, to name a few. So if the mainstream ones are always the worst, you can't really do any worse, can you?

 

So, if you're a serious gamer, or use your internet for somewhat more than simple browsing or watching the occasional video, you really should educate yourself and choose wisely. 


I think things has changed now. I had a letter from BT saying that they will not slow down my speeds on certain time during the day anymore. Plus I seen the new BT and Sky adverts over the last week saying that they will not throttle speeds. Guess times changed.

 

Reply
0 Kudos

Re: Slow PS3 download and upload speed, anyone know why or have a fix.

02
/16

crunchyfrog555

  • Offline
80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
crunchyfrog555
Accepted Solution

rider1 wrote:

crunchyfrog555 wrote:

tkalfaoglu wrote:

Ok, let's quantify these comments:

 

I let PS3 download 2 games overnight. It's an 8 MBIT ADSL connection, wired connection, with nothing else usng the network.

 

Result: I checked this morning the network graphs (I have MRTG on another computer) and It never went over 2 MBIT/sec.   Therefore, YES, the downloads are SLOW. It never uses over 2MBIT/sec. I suspect it's some throttling at Sony's end to ensure that everyone gets SOME bandwidth and that no one hogs their entire bandwidth. Lame excuse of course (see youtube and facebook and how much bandwidth they use!)

 

In case anyone has doubts, it's not my ADSL.. I just launched  a download and my email program, and my bandwidth usage on the same line went up to 5.6 MBIT/sec.

 

So, YES, Sony is not giving us full bandwidth when downloading.

 


Let me correct something for you - yes, it's slow, the PS3 has always been this way. It will remain slower than your PC or other devices will download. This is well known. It does NOT mean "Sony is not giving us full bandwidth" which would mean a throttle on their end/servers, or a throttle on the hardware in the PS3, and that just defies logic. They simply wouldn't do that to any degree.

 

Having said that, I don't get particularly slow speeds, but then I use a decent provider (Fast.co.uk). Low contention ratio and NO throttling of ANY KIND.

 

Virgin - or whoever - could simply be throttling those ports. It's a well known trick they employ. Please do read www.ispreview.co.uk for some of the feedback people have left over this issue. 

 

This is the problem with mainstream (i.e. those that advertise on TV and in magazines) ISPs - they cut corners like crazy to maximise profits. I've heard many people say "oh, well I HAVE to go with BT (for example) because there's no other option".

 

This is crap, quite frankly. I cannot get cable as it is never planned for our area. I cannot get fibre also for the same reason. So I have a straightforward copper-wire ADSL connection. I have over 400 ISPs to choose from. There is no reason to even think of considering the mainstream ones like BT, Sky, TalkTalk etc.

 

The rule of thumb goes that if you haven't heard of the ISP, chances are they may be good. Again, ispreview is brilliant in this regard. User feedback counts for a lot there. Why this bizarre logic? Well, simply put, all the mainstream providers always come BOTTOM of the user ratings on every reputable monitoring service like Which?, ispreview and What ISP, to name a few. So if the mainstream ones are always the worst, you can't really do any worse, can you?

 

So, if you're a serious gamer, or use your internet for somewhat more than simple browsing or watching the occasional video, you really should educate yourself and choose wisely. 


I think things has changed now. I had a letter from BT saying that they will not slow down my speeds on certain time during the day anymore. Plus I seen the new BT and Sky adverts over the last week saying that they will not throttle speeds. Guess times changed.

 


Unfortunately that's still absolutely NO reason to trust them. They often make claims like that in their adverts, but all they mean is they've adopted a similar technique and called it by a different name.

 

This is where ISPreview is ESSENTIAL. You can check users' comments on there and keep up with the latest tricks.

 

Mainstream providers WILL throttle in some fashion, because they oversell their products (high contention ratio), so that instead of 20 or 30 users having their traffic through one "unit" there's often way over 50 or 60, so they throttle or "traffic shape".

 

Checking is everything here. They're not going to just stop it unless OTELO outlaw the practice and put up draconian fines for doing so, and that certainly hasn't happened.

 

Reply
0 Kudos

Re: Slow PS3 download and upload speed, anyone know why or have a fix.

[ Edited ]
Raptr Gamercard
03
/16

rider1

  • Offline
90%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
rider1
Accepted Solution

crunchyfrog555 wrote:

rider1 wrote:

crunchyfrog555 wrote:

tkalfaoglu wrote:

Ok, let's quantify these comments:

 

I let PS3 download 2 games overnight. It's an 8 MBIT ADSL connection, wired connection, with nothing else usng the network.

 

Result: I checked this morning the network graphs (I have MRTG on another computer) and It never went over 2 MBIT/sec.   Therefore, YES, the downloads are SLOW. It never uses over 2MBIT/sec. I suspect it's some throttling at Sony's end to ensure that everyone gets SOME bandwidth and that no one hogs their entire bandwidth. Lame excuse of course (see youtube and facebook and how much bandwidth they use!)

 

In case anyone has doubts, it's not my ADSL.. I just launched  a download and my email program, and my bandwidth usage on the same line went up to 5.6 MBIT/sec.

 

So, YES, Sony is not giving us full bandwidth when downloading.

 


Let me correct something for you - yes, it's slow, the PS3 has always been this way. It will remain slower than your PC or other devices will download. This is well known. It does NOT mean "Sony is not giving us full bandwidth" which would mean a throttle on their end/servers, or a throttle on the hardware in the PS3, and that just defies logic. They simply wouldn't do that to any degree.

 

Having said that, I don't get particularly slow speeds, but then I use a decent provider (Fast.co.uk). Low contention ratio and NO throttling of ANY KIND.

 

Virgin - or whoever - could simply be throttling those ports. It's a well known trick they employ. Please do read www.ispreview.co.uk for some of the feedback people have left over this issue. 

 

This is the problem with mainstream (i.e. those that advertise on TV and in magazines) ISPs - they cut corners like crazy to maximise profits. I've heard many people say "oh, well I HAVE to go with BT (for example) because there's no other option".

 

This is crap, quite frankly. I cannot get cable as it is never planned for our area. I cannot get fibre also for the same reason. So I have a straightforward copper-wire ADSL connection. I have over 400 ISPs to choose from. There is no reason to even think of considering the mainstream ones like BT, Sky, TalkTalk etc.

 

The rule of thumb goes that if you haven't heard of the ISP, chances are they may be good. Again, ispreview is brilliant in this regard. User feedback counts for a lot there. Why this bizarre logic? Well, simply put, all the mainstream providers always come BOTTOM of the user ratings on every reputable monitoring service like Which?, ispreview and What ISP, to name a few. So if the mainstream ones are always the worst, you can't really do any worse, can you?

 

So, if you're a serious gamer, or use your internet for somewhat more than simple browsing or watching the occasional video, you really should educate yourself and choose wisely. 


I think things has changed now. I had a letter from BT saying that they will not slow down my speeds on certain time during the day anymore. Plus I seen the new BT and Sky adverts over the last week saying that they will not throttle speeds. Guess times changed.

 


Unfortunately that's still absolutely NO reason to trust them. They often make claims like that in their adverts, but all they mean is they've adopted a similar technique and called it by a different name.

 

This is where ISPreview is ESSENTIAL. You can check users' comments on there and keep up with the latest tricks.

 

Mainstream providers WILL throttle in some fashion, because they oversell their products (high contention ratio), so that instead of 20 or 30 users having their traffic through one "unit" there's often way over 50 or 60, so they throttle or "traffic shape".

 

Checking is everything here. They're not going to just stop it unless OTELO outlaw the practice and put up draconian fines for doing so, and that certainly hasn't happened.

 


It must be very bad, they get in huge trouble for false advertisement with the latest change.

 

I found a few little articles about BT being totally unlimited with no traffic management.

 

link 1

link 2

link 3

 

I agree about there could be some form of throttle for downloading copyright material from P2P. At least BT will not decrease any speeds on general internet, gaming, video services and etc. They must have increased the capacity/bandwidth to cope with more traffic.

 

Reply
0 Kudos

Re: Slow PS3 download and upload speed, anyone know why or have a fix.

[ Edited ]
05
/16

gymno74

  • Offline
99%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
gymno74
Accepted Solution

Plusnet are another one that recently announced a 'truly' unlimited product, although like bt, they will throttle torrents.

 

As far as i know, sky are still the only major player that offer 100% 'truly' unlimited broadband & not just adhere to ofcoms definition of it.

Reply
0 Kudos

Re: Slow PS3 download and upload speed, anyone know why or have a fix.

02
/16

crunchyfrog555

  • Offline
80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
crunchyfrog555
Accepted Solution

gymno74 wrote:

Plusnet are another one that recently announced a 'truly' unlimited product, although like bt, they will throttle torrents.

 

As far as i know, sky are still the only major player that offer 100% 'truly' unlimited broadband & not just adhere to ofcoms definition of it.


I wouldn't believe that in a million years about Sky. They're still suffer from all the usual problems a mainstream provider tends to have - long waiting times on the phone, inept and clueless staff, and random quality of service.

 

Maybe they don't throttle now (I can't say for sure, as I know nobody who is with them any longer), but in part that may be down to it CONTINUALLY being slow for people. As I've said before, ISPreview report all the usual tricks, and looking at them now, they're still up to them.

 

I can't fauly my service, Fast.co.uk. You pay more for it, but the quality is definitely there. In over 5 years of usage, I've had one period where they had server trouble for about 3 hours, and an outage for 25 minutes a few months ago. That's it. Continual speed minimum of 8-9Mbps where line tests claim I should be expecting 6.

 

When I've rung (partly to test them), they've always answer within 3 or 4 rings, and even offer MORE information that I'd reasonably expect. Can't say fairer than that.

 

Horses for courses.

 

Oh, and Plusnet are OWNED by BT, despite claims of them being run as a separate business they are still beholden to BT policy.

 

Reply
0 Kudos

Re: Slow PS3 download and upload speed, anyone know why or have a fix.

Raptr Gamercard
05
/16

gymno74

  • Offline
99%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
gymno74
Accepted Solution

crunchyfrog555 wrote:

gymno74 wrote:

Plusnet are another one that recently announced a 'truly' unlimited product, although like bt, they will throttle torrents.

 

As far as i know, sky are still the only major player that offer 100% 'truly' unlimited broadband & not just adhere to ofcoms definition of it.


I wouldn't believe that in a million years about Sky. They're still suffer from all the usual problems a mainstream provider tends to have - long waiting times on the phone, inept and clueless staff, and random quality of service.

 

Maybe they don't throttle now (I can't say for sure, as I know nobody who is with them any longer), but in part that may be down to it CONTINUALLY being slow for people. As I've said before, ISPreview report all the usual tricks, and looking at them now, they're still up to them.

 

I can't fauly my service, Fast.co.uk. You pay more for it, but the quality is definitely there. In over 5 years of usage, I've had one period where they had server trouble for about 3 hours, and an outage for 25 minutes a few months ago. That's it. Continual speed minimum of 8-9Mbps where line tests claim I should be expecting 6.

 

When I've rung (partly to test them), they've always answer within 3 or 4 rings, and even offer MORE information that I'd reasonably expect. Can't say fairer than that.

 

Horses for courses.

 

Oh, and Plusnet are OWNED by BT, despite claims of them being run as a separate business they are still beholden to BT policy.

 


 

I'm with sky & can assure you that they don't throttle, nor do they continually provide lower speeds than what a particular line or set of exchange equipment is capable of.

Reply
0 Kudos

Re: Slow PS3 download and upload speed, anyone know why or have a fix.

02
/16

crunchyfrog555

  • Offline
80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
crunchyfrog555
Accepted Solution

gymno74 wrote:

crunchyfrog555 wrote:

gymno74 wrote:

Plusnet are another one that recently announced a 'truly' unlimited product, although like bt, they will throttle torrents.

 

As far as i know, sky are still the only major player that offer 100% 'truly' unlimited broadband & not just adhere to ofcoms definition of it.


I wouldn't believe that in a million years about Sky. They're still suffer from all the usual problems a mainstream provider tends to have - long waiting times on the phone, inept and clueless staff, and random quality of service.

 

Maybe they don't throttle now (I can't say for sure, as I know nobody who is with them any longer), but in part that may be down to it CONTINUALLY being slow for people. As I've said before, ISPreview report all the usual tricks, and looking at them now, they're still up to them.

 

I can't fauly my service, Fast.co.uk. You pay more for it, but the quality is definitely there. In over 5 years of usage, I've had one period where they had server trouble for about 3 hours, and an outage for 25 minutes a few months ago. That's it. Continual speed minimum of 8-9Mbps where line tests claim I should be expecting 6.

 

When I've rung (partly to test them), they've always answer within 3 or 4 rings, and even offer MORE information that I'd reasonably expect. Can't say fairer than that.

 

Horses for courses.

 

Oh, and Plusnet are OWNED by BT, despite claims of them being run as a separate business they are still beholden to BT policy.

 


 

I'm with sky & can assure you that they don't throttle, nor do they continually provide lower speeds than what a particular line or set of exchange equipment is capable of.


That may be the case for YOU, but that's not the case for everybody. Nor is their customer service any good either. Again, these aren't just my opinions, but those of other users who have experienced this.

 

They are utterly dreadful at getting problems sorted out - you might be lucky or you might not.

 

Reply
0 Kudos

Re: Slow PS3 download and upload speed, anyone know why or have a fix.

[ Edited ]
Raptr Gamercard
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel