21 Sep 2012
Playstation Staff

Slow PS3 download and upload speed, anyone know why or have a fix.

83 Replies 9,397 Views Created 21-09-2012

Ok since the last firmware update I have experienced major problems with the download and upload speeds on my ps3.

My set us is as follows:

Virginmedia 50MB broadband.

Speedtest result via PC is 49.2 download, 4.9 upload.

Virginmedia modem

Dlink Router (One that Virginmedia Supplied, can't remember model number)

wired connection to PS3 (Slim 250GB)

I have got all the correct ports open on the router according to the PS3 manual, and I have some others open for my Iomega Networked Harddrive.

I have done all the usual stuff of turning everything off and on again, I have just had the PS3 connected on its own, I have manually set up the network settings on the PS3 and I have also done it using the automatic setup, I have had media server enabled and tried it disabled and I have tried using a wireless connection but every time the PS3 Internet connection test give me a speed test result of 1.9MB download and 0.6 upload. And to download a 5GB file from the PS3 store took over 13 hours.

I know that the PS3 speed test is a bit hit and miss but it has always been above 20 until now.

Any ideas?

This started after the last update, this maybe a coinsidence but maybe someone out there has had the same issue.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 84 (9,397 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 7

Playstation Staff

Re: Slow PS3 download and upload speed, anyone know why or have a fix.

Iwantmemum118 wrote:

Ok since the last firmware update I have experienced major problems with the download and upload speeds on my ps3.

My set us is as follows:

Virginmedia modem

I have got all the correct ports open on the router according to the PS3 manual, and I have some others open for my Iomega Networked Harddrive.

I have done all the usual stuff of turning everything off and on again, I have just had the PS3 connected on its own, I have manually set up the network settings on the PS3 and I have also done it using the automatic setup, I have had media server enabled and tried it disabled and I have tried using a wireless connection but every time the PS3 Internet connection test give me a speed test result of 1.9MB download and 0.6 upload. And to download a 5GB file from the PS3 store took over 13 hours.

I know that the PS3 speed test is a bit hit and miss but it has always been above 20 until now.

Any ideas?

This started after the last update, this maybe a coinsidence but maybe someone out there has had the same issue.

Your problem sound more a connection problem at your end.

And as your using wireless it's not that great anyway try cabled & see if things improve.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 84 (9,390 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

I've been on these forums for years (across several profiles) and seen so many of these topics

Over that time I've been with two ISPs, BT and now Sky. With BT I had every single version of their Home Hub router and used wired and wireless options with my PS3

I have never, ever had slow speeds with the PSN on either ISP, any router, wired or wireless (Apart from really popular demos or game downloads when the servers were packed)

I'm not saying I don't believe these people, I'm just curious why ISPs shape or restrict their customers internet speeds. Why is it BT and Sky are happy to allow my exchange work at full speed with my PS3 yet someone else in another part of the country can have an absolute nightmare between their ISP, router and PlayStation?

I've never even had to open ports or put the PS3 into a DMZ. The most I've ever had to do is manually assign the router's wireless channel to a channel the neighbours aren't using to avoid interference 

Photobucket
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 84 (9,381 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

All to do with contention ratios mate.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 84 (9,376 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 2

Playstation Staff

Muttykins wrote:

Iwantmemum118 wrote:

My set us is as follows:

Virginmedia modem

Any ideas?

Your problem sound more a connection problem at your end.

And as your using wireless it's not that great anyway try cabled & see if things improve.

My PS3 has a wired connection, I tried it wireless to see if cured the probelm it didn't so i am back to a wired conection.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 84 (9,368 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

frodouk wrote:

So you're saying it's not the PS3 at fault but is traffic shaping by ISPs in heavily populated areas?

That'll go down well with those who'll retort with 'But everything else in my house is fine"

#CanOfWorms 

Photobucket
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 84 (9,367 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 2

Playstation Staff

FooFan73 wrote:

I've been on these forums for years (across several profiles) and seen so many of these topics

Over that time I've been with two ISPs, BT and now Sky. With BT I had every single version of their Home Hub router and used wired and wireless options with my PS3

I have never, ever had slow speeds with the PSN on either ISP, any router, wired or wireless (Apart from really popular demos or game downloads when the servers were packed)

I'm not saying I don't believe these people, I'm just curious why ISPs shape or restrict their customers internet speeds. Why is it BT and Sky are happy to allow my exchange work at full speed with my PS3 yet someone else in another part of the country can have an absolute nightmare between their ISP, router and PlayStation?

I've never even had to open ports or put the PS3 into a DMZ. The most I've ever had to do is manually assign the router's wireless channel to a channel the neighbours aren't using to avoid interference 

I seriously doubt this is anything to do with my ISP. I have had a PS3 from launch (not my current one that is 2 years old ish) I have only had a problem since the last frimware update, before that it has been fine. I have only had to open ports on this router I have now and that was because they were closed as default (all my previous routers had them already open). Virgin have tested my line from their line and have said it was fine, I have tested it from my end using my pc and it is fine but for some reason it is slow when using the PSN. It is very puzzling and I have no idea how to solve the problem.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 84 (9,363 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

FooFan73 wrote:

frodouk wrote:

So you're saying it's not the PS3 at fault but is traffic shaping by ISPs in heavily populated areas?

That'll go down well with those who'll retort with 'But everything else in my house is fine"

#CanOfWorms 

Depends on what ports are being throttled back mate - seems the PSN uses ports that many ISP's manage.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 84 (9,351 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 7

Playstation Staff

Also it subcription to local exchange virgin are bad over subbing in some area's as it tend to work on split ratio it will impact the more there are.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 84 (9,343 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

i have the same problem.

i have virgin media fibre optic 60MB with the superhub. and when i do a connection test on the pc i always get 60MB and quite a lot i keep getting 61MB.

i use a wired connection but on the ps3 the download speed normal only shows 12MB on a really good day.

and as for wireless that is even worse on my ps3, i cant play GT5 over wireless because it makes the game crash so i end up having to sign out of psn for the game to load.

i have seen many posts on about slow psn speeds and internet problems. it seems to be virgins broadband boxes that dont seem to work well with the ps3, the superhub being the biggest problem.
------------
now own a 12GB Super Slim with a 500GB HDD upgrade.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 84 (9,319 Views)
0 Kudos