17 May 2012
By: chrisandsheva Member 102 Posts
Level 3

what can getting banned mean.

1 Reply 815 Views Created 17-05-2012

So i have heard it's possible to be banned by sony, what happens if you are.. ie trophy progress, owned games and any money in the account. I am not expecting a ban, just curious, also though i have 'heard' of false bans, where someone swears innocence etc.. one example i would like explained is, say for instance you/someone created a bogus account in another region, which i hear is against toc's.. if you did, and sony implemented their rules, who gets banned, in my case i have multiple legal UK users... so someone like me which account gets a ban... i Know things should be done properly etc, But surely theres big differences from gamesharers to ppl who may just want to access a demo/content from another region.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2 (815 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 13

Re: what can getting banned mean.

chrisandsheva wrote:

So i have heard it's possible to be banned by sony, what happens if you are.. ie trophy progress, owned games and any money in the account. I am not expecting a ban, just curious, also though i have 'heard' of false bans, where someone swears innocence etc.. one example i would like explained is, say for instance you/someone created a bogus account in another region, which i hear is against toc's.. if you did, and sony implemented their rules, who gets banned, in my case i have multiple legal UK users... so someone like me which account gets a ban... i Know things should be done properly etc, But surely theres big differences from gamesharers to ppl who may just want to access a demo/content from another region.

What happens depends on what you do.

99.99% of people who say they're innocent are people who have reported a person for breaking the rules whilst breaking the same or another different rule themselves. They believe that because they reported the other person that they should recieve a free pass to do what they  want.

Developers such as Infinity Ward are able to ban your PSN ID from their servers. In the case of Call of Duty with it's Elite Subs, this can be costly and is an incentive not to hack/glitch. These bans are determined by the devs and restrict access to all online features within the game.

Sony Moderators have much greater power. Dependant on what you do they can enforce a ban of any duration from 30 minutes to permenant on your PSN ID. In extreme cases they can also IP ban you and console ban you which would require you to buy a new PS3 in order to regain PSN access, which you probably wouldn't (hence the heaviness of the ban). Such bans are very rare though.

If you are ever banned you will see the following screen when trying to log in:

You would also recieve an email detailing the duration of said ban and a reason.

In the event  of your example, upon being discovered; It'd be possible that all the foreign accounts could be permanently banned, and that the main and real account would be suspended for a period of time too. Depending on how far you look into it, it's technically breaking the law, so a ban isn't as bad as it could be.

As for gamesharers, they should be boiled alive in their own vomit and hung by their thumbs. I wonder if the moderation system has that option.... :smileytongue:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2 (809 Views)
0 Kudos