28 Nov 2009
Playstation Staff

Rate your Mini

10 Replies 1,572 Views Created 28-11-2009

Minis have certainly increased my use of the PSP, some good ones so far. I've downloaded Tetris (of course!), Spot the difference (for the kids honest) and blast off. Loving Blast off, brilliant little game I've been looking forward to for a while. Tetris speaks for itself and spot the difference, well, if i get stuck on a train... (Actually it's not that bad, more difficult than I imagined!)

Here's a chance for you to rate your minis, so others may glean knowledge or be tempted by a gem they never knew existed!

So mine? Blast off. very difficult to put down!

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11 (1,572 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Re: Rate your Mini

Fieldrunners:

A great tower defence game, loved it on the iPhone and now it's come to the PSP. No set path so you choose where your towers go on an open field. Loads of levels, difficulties and modes. Great fun!

Verdict: 8/10 

- PSP 1000 Piano Black + 8GB Memory Stick Pro Duo
- PS2 SCPH-70003
- PS3 320GB Black
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11 (1,579 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Fieldrunners - I love the cartoony look of this tower defence game. The genre fits really well into the minis series, and is great for snackable plays on my 30 minute bus journey. 3 difficulty levels in 3 modes of play over 5 lushly drawn maps. Explosive stuff!

9/10

Zombie Tycoon - Cracking 3D environments ruled by your hoards of the undead. Direct small groups of zombies to run amuck in the town. Kit them out with 100 items and let them take down buildings, shepard groups of civilians into traps or stop them from fleeing town. Gets old fast, but there's just enough incentive to keep you going through the 10 levels.

7/10

Vempire - Spooky take on the Bejeweled Blitz phenomenon. Move tiles of 4 squares to match 4, or set up huge combos. A few twists like bonus items and power ups (minions) to help you along the way, but unless you're a fan of the genre you might want to keep an eye out for something else. Only £2.49 though...

6/10

Sudoku - Played this on the iPhone and the touchscreen generally makes play alot easier, but you get used to the buttons before long. Play your own music as you rush to complete the numberic puzzles in as quick a time as possible. Nice oriental graphics. Expected no less from EA. At £3.99, it's way cheaper than the other sudoku offerings on the PS Store.

8/10

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11 (1,566 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Cheers folks- keep 'em coming!

Looks like I'm going to have to take a look at Fieldrunners then!

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11 (1,529 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

I have four:

Fieldrunners: 8.5/10

Mostly what others are saying but great tower defence game, the best i've played (i've also got Pixel Junk Monsters Deluxe and loved the online game Bloons tower defence).Very simple play, looks great for a mini and i've already spent many, many hours on it!

Blastoff 8/10 so far

Just a brilliant game, instantly into the game, very simple in knowing what to do but challenging enough to make it interesting, the scoretables have a target which is quite high making it more of a challenge to try and beat. Theres not much to it apart from simply the main game itself and I only spend about 5-15 mins each time I play it, but thats what a mini should be to me. I worry how short it looks though.

Echoes 8.5/10

By the same makers of Blastoff, another very addiciting game, quite unique as well, very enjoyable and has a really good look to it. Only £2.50 (same as blastoff) makes it particularly worth getting, but similarly to above i feel it may be a bit short, unlike above though it has different modes which makes it better.

Breakquest 7.5/10

Breakquest is simply amazing but has a few faults which lowers my score. It has 100 levels to play in 3 difficulties plus arcade mode with 6 different options (i think 6). Great gameplay and very novel designs, it's simply really fun to play. The bad points are the visuals aren't always great, sometimes the physics can be very annoying and the difficulty of levels seems to be completely random and not progressive. These don't ruin the game and its definitly worth the nice £2.50 price but without those faults it could have been excellent.

Fortunatly all the Mini's I have are amazing, all worth buying, i love the idea of Mini's too. I hope it continues to produce great cheap games. 

Has anyone played Zombie Tycoon, Red bull X-fighters, Brainpipe or Fortix? I like the look of them but I'm very cautious over buying without knowing how good they are! (If all mini's were £2.50 i would have spent so much more money overall as I prob would have bought all these ones too!!)

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11 (1,498 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Playstation Staff

hey hey

Tetris : 10/10

when i saw tetris was released i just had to have it. i was a tetris addict when it was released on the gameboy all those years ago and i was initially worried that the psp release would ruin it with gimicks and crappy graphics. fortunately this release is faithfull to the origional and keeps the simplicity and ergo keeps the element of pure nerve racking finger twitching adrenaline rush.

graphically its very clean and although the bright colours and trippy music isnt to everyones taste simple = good.

i wasnt initially happy with the ghost block and the scrolling tetrimonoes list but i fast got used to it and it feels natural now. the side games are fustratingly addictive and i just had to get 100% \o/ which was easy(ish) for me but should be challenging for guys new to the game.

what i love about tetris is that my 6yr old can play it and its on the go simple and instant gameplay is perfect for the psp and perfect as a mini.

Pinball Dreams : 3/10

yawn, yawn, nothing new here and very very poor graphics. i can barely see the score board :/

while its good to see the classics its bad to see awfull gameplay and awfull 1980's retro graphics on a next gen machine. what could have been so much better is if they ported . . . . . windows pinball .. . . for some reason that was an awesome game (and still is) and is graphically of decent quality and would port perfectly (imho) shame its from the enemy.

i liked that you can flip the screen to get a full view, which is alot better, but then the button placement doesnt suit and feels clunky at best.

Bubble Trouble : 1/10

Cheap, lame, underwhelming, out classed by any other screen clearing style game on the market even from 1664. i cant remember which one started the big craze for the coloured bubble shooters but that would be the better port, dont buy this its crap.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11 (1,452 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Thanks for your reviews Mikal, I'm glad you confirmed my suspicions about pinball dreams! I had considered it but thought it looked a bit pants. Definitely won't now!

The balloon one never really appealed after seeing the preview.

Looks like Tetris is the real winner here. Although I think you're right, a simpler version which replicated the original a bit more would have carried more weight.

As an update, it didn't take me long to finish Blast off, got gold trophies on all except some on insane levels. Still the sort of thing I'll go back to though.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11 (1,441 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Tetris : 9/10 Very good version of the Tetris, probably the best I have played

Heroes Of Sparta : 4/10 Terrible framerate, dull gameplay and just generaly very poor

Pinball Dreams and Pinball Fantasies : 7/10 I used to love the original games on the Amiga and PC, and these versions are perfect, if a little basic by todays standards

Kahoots : 8/10 Very enjoyable game in short bursts, can get a little repetitive, but if only playing a few levels at a time, not bad.

BreakQuest : 7/10 Good Arkanoid game, lots of variety in the levels,

Mahjong Artifacts 2 : 9/10 Brilliant Majjong solitaire game, lush graphics, perfect presentation, although the controls can be a little bit iritating.

Vempire : 6/10 Brilliant presentation, but doesn't keep your interest for long.

Zombie Tycoon : 6/10 Lush graphics, and brilliantly presented, but I have not found myself coming back to it. It will probably get deleted at some point.

Addicted to my PSP (and iPad)
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11 (1,397 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

TETRIS;

Partialy addictive;

Could do with an option to play your own music while in gameplay;

VERDICT: 6.5/10 Could be a little better... 

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11 (1,334 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Totally agree!

I've downloaded Blast Off and Yetisports.

Love Blast Off!

But I was dissapointed with yetisports - dont buy!!!

Blast off is awesome, I have not got a single brick star yet, but very close.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11 (1,163 Views)
0 Kudos